New Panasonic 800 series

L

LostnProjection

Enthusiast
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
The numbers coming back will show a very soft Christmas season, during the year prices will need to be adjusted since we're heading into a recession, if you buy now you'll be getting last years leftovers (not a bad thing), but if you wait you'll be able to get the new models at good prices in a couple of months. January sales aren't that hot. How desperate are you? If not much, my advice is to wait.

jBoRiCuA

Audiophyte
I sell alot of Panasonics plasmas @ ccity and I always get: "Do they make it in 46"?" Finally can't wait for the drop.. usually come in Mid-April. th46pz8xx :D

J

jlahk

Audioholic Intern
I was just reading about the panasonic press release and about their new line of plasma t.v.'s. I'm going to be buying a plasma t.v. this spring and I was wondering if it would be worth it to wait for the new line of t.v.'s Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=214667&modelNo=Content01062008124647947&surfModel=Content01062008124647947
I'm in the same boat--half of me thinks I should take the chance to get a sweet deal on the 700s.

L

LostnProjection

Enthusiast
I agree that It would be a good idea to wait to see how the prices react because of the economy, but it's going to be hard to wait because I have wanted a panasonic plasma for a long time. I also work for an electronics retailer and I have panasonic plasmas staring me in the face everyday. I guess i could try to see if the 700Us are going to go on clearance maybe.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well I for one am extremely dissapointed in Panasonic for not making up an offering in the larger then 65" arena, unless there is some sweet secret news about the professional line panels...

But it looks like Pioneer is making the leap to the future in the super thin 9mm scenario... curious where that is going...

J

jlahk

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, I'm assuming the prices will come down when the new units are close to being available.

Have you found a good retailer to get the 700U from? Crutchfield has a good price--a couple hundred dollars above some other online retailers but I'm wondering if the premium is worth the piece of mind of knowing that if there are issues with the unit or shipping, I won't be left holding the bag.

L

LostnProjection

Enthusiast
I think crutchfield would be an excellent source to get the panasonic from. I'm going to wait until the 800 series is actually available before I make my decision. That way I can determine the cost-benefit ratio of getting the new t.v. or getting the 700u on clearance.

R

rcpilot_971

Audioholic
Well I for one am extremely dissapointed in Panasonic for not making up an offering in the larger then 65" arena, unless there is some sweet secret news about the professional line panels...

But it looks like Pioneer is making the leap to the future in the super thin 9mm scenario... curious where that is going...

Panosonic make a 150 inch for like $70K

E

Emusica

Audioholic
Tru2way-ready Viera HDTV

"Panasonic announced today that selected models of Viera HDTV will include tru2way technology and are expected to be available at retail later this year. This capability is an added feature to these Panasonic’s Viera HDTV’s that simplifies and improves the total television experience of digital cable television subscribers. In those markets served by Comcast and other cable providers that have upgraded their networks to support tru2way technology, these revolutionary Viera Plasma High Definition televisions are able to access the full range of interactive digital cable video services, including video on demand and interactive program guides without a set-top-box. Panasonic Viera HDTV with tru2way technology provides multiple consumer benefits including less wiring, less unsightly component clutter and simpler operation with a single remote control"

Yet another reason to wait. I almost bought the 700U TODAY before I read this. I think it's worth waiting for, just hope it comes out at least by April. Don't know if I can hold out too much longer!:(

J

jlahk

Audioholic Intern
Good find. Do you know if Time Warner supports that technology?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Tru2way-ready Viera HDTV

"Panasonic announced today that selected models of Viera HDTV will include tru2way technology and are expected to be available at retail later this year. This capability is an added feature to these Panasonic’s Viera HDTV’s that simplifies and improves the total television experience of digital cable television subscribers. In those markets served by Comcast and other cable providers that have upgraded their networks to support tru2way technology, these revolutionary Viera Plasma High Definition televisions are able to access the full range of interactive digital cable video services, including video on demand and interactive program guides without a set-top-box. Panasonic Viera HDTV with tru2way technology provides multiple consumer benefits including less wiring, less unsightly component clutter and simpler operation with a single remote control"

Yet another reason to wait. I almost bought the 700U TODAY before I read this. I think it's worth waiting for, just hope it comes out at least by April. Don't know if I can hold out too much longer!:(
Just so you know, Panasonic usually announces things at CES and their next gen products don't usually come out until Fall, September... That is pretty much how their history of releases has gone.. possibly late july, aug, but not usually...

L

LostnProjection

Enthusiast
I think the 800 series t.v.'s will be out this spring. One because of the time table given in the press release. Two I've talked to some of my coworkers about CES and they told me we usually get the new models in late spring.

E

Emusica

Audioholic
Just so you know, Panasonic usually announces things at CES and their next gen products don't usually come out until Fall, September... That is pretty much how their history of releases has gone.. possibly late july, aug, but not usually...
Say it aint so!:(

D

duhdomino

Audiophyte
same boat

The new Panasonic's at CES were really nice, and they said they are tweaking them for gaming, which is extra nice, I was going to wait for the new Elite Kuros to come down a bit, but that should be when these babies are arriving.......I LOVE the Elites, but honestly the Panasonic's seem a bit brighter to me, maybe it's the way they have em calibrated in the stores I guess, . . on paper these sets look pretty impressive.
Someone mentioned a recession, and that is VERY true, I would think that the prices are gonna come down quicker than usual this time around because of this. Did anyone go to the show and see them in person?

annunaki

annunaki

Warpdrv is right about the releases. Spring is very optimistic, especially for Panasonic.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I have followed Panasonic for Plasma's for 2 years in a row, and they have always come out around fall... but if that changes, great.. faster release is always better, but unrealistic...

annunaki

annunaki

I am hoping I can pick up a sweet deal on a closeout from one of my distributors or something. I have a 34" Sony tube but I really would like a 42" Panny. Anything bigger will be too much for my room. I know my son would love watching Sesame Street on a bigger screen, not to mention the Packers. He is 20 months old and LOVES watching football.

I am trying to get him into watching F1 with me during the European swing since it is on about the time he wakes up in the morning. Only 3 more months from today until they roll off for practice in Australia!

Warp,

I can't believe you want a set bigger than 65". You do have a large room, but a 70" would be massive! How far do you sit from the television's location???

S

Stonemeel

Audiophyte
I saw the new 800 and 850 series at CES and they looked like a huge improvement over the 1st gen 1080p panels (700 series)......most notably in the black level.....it looked Kuro black as in plasma powered off black. I don't know what they did to achieve this.....I'm sure I missed the marketing mumbo-jumbo at the show since I couldn't peel my eyes off the plasma video loops. Panny had a A-->B comparison setup in a black-out corridor behind the main display showing the new features and improvements over 700 series and it is quite noticeable. I know I'm going to wait on the 800 series even if I have to pay a premium.....still a steal compared to Kuro prices.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis