new omni directional project

M

mobile_bob

Enthusiast
i have been wanting to build a pair of these for a very long time, and finally got around to doing it
they stand about 12-14" tall
about 6.5" diameter
the crystal ball is 80mm give or take
using 3fe25 faital 3" full range speakers

and for those that ask about how do they measure

i don't have highly sophisticated stuff to test with, however i do have
a sound card sine wave generator, and a spl meter

they don't produce much under 200hz, and have a rising response up to 2khz and flat from 3 to 9khz where they taper off
the peak at 2khz is rather nasty if the volume is up much over 60db at my listening position, it measure about a 10db peak over nominal

i think i can change that a bit with changes in the polyfil i am using, i suspect the peak is largely due to the egg shape chamber
and as much as (gasp, choke) some folks hate EQ i pretty much tamed the peak with the sansui graphic equalizer.
that seems to have pulled things into line, and the listening experience is much improved

i can stand listening to them for more than 15 minutes! which is a dramatic improvement

also think it would be possible to alter or mitigate that peak with a contour network centered at 2khz

whatever the case the do a good job of filling my 14x24 room to a level that i can stand, i don't listen to much over 80db in any case
even though i think they will do a bit better than that

bob g

ps. the sound is "crystal" clear! (snicker, snicker)

Attachments

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Neat project!
In case you are not familiar with them, your project reminds me a bit of the Mirage OMD-5's (no longer produced) which I have:

As you can see Mirage mounted the mid-woofer at an angle to reflect more energy forward than rear-ward. They also made it a two-way by housing the tweeter in the mid-bass reflector with a "Spoon" for the tweeter reflector!
These are not my best speakers, but they do have a nice sound and where they truly distinguish themselves is playing stringed instruments (violins, etc) where their radial dispersion more closely matches that of the instrument. I suspect that you experience a similar effect with your design!
I use these for surrounds in a 5.2 system.
I must admit that I appreciate these speakers because they represent a different approach to a common objective. When I listen to them, I do not find issue with the omni-directional nature. It is true that a trumpet sounds more realistic over a standard front facing speaker (which I consider to be the same influence that allows a violin to sound more realistic on the Mirage). I am not sure there was any true justification for them to fail aside from Klipsch bought them (along with Mirage's sister, Energy) and let them die.
Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
M

mobile_bob

Enthusiast
thanks for the response, your speakers look pretty cool!
and yes i am getting the whole "violin" thing, they do so much better than anything else i have when it comes to
violin, and especially solo violin.
i don't even notice the peek at 2khz with violin for some reason, might be because of the speed of which the soloist is playing she blows right past whatever note is centered on or around 2khz?

going to keep working on these a bit more, i have an idea on how to integrate them with another project to blend them in and have something a bit better as a result.

i did also try them in concert with the jbl 150a's i have, the jbl's have all the base i need and these have the upper registers and tighter definition than the jbl's have, so together they work well, so long as i keep them close to each other... that whole center distance thing i guess, however they don't seem to be a particular as other point source speakers i have tried to pair with the jbl's

the pairing of the jbl's is nothing more than to get an idea or relative idea of what these might sound like if i were to integrate them with a sub/woofer to do the low note stuff, maybe in a 2.1 setup?

my physical condition has deteriorated to the point that i can't manage larger speaker builds, so these little guys and projects like them look to be what i will be focusing on in the near future.

bob g

ps. i already have my eye on a matched pair of "royal ruby" glass vases, and looking at a pair of tang ban 3" that look to be able to use the available interior of the vase to get down to a bit under 100hz. might be pretty cool, if i add a bit of led light to the interior of the vase, kind of a soft glow? ya that's the ticket. ;)

then i would need to design a variable voltage so that the led interior lighting would vary with frequency! what's wrong with looking cool too?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
i have been wanting to build a pair of these for a very long time, and finally got around to doing it
they stand about 12-14" tall
about 6.5" diameter
the crystal ball is 80mm give or take
using 3fe25 faital 3" full range speakers

and for those that ask about how do they measure

i don't have highly sophisticated stuff to test with, however i do have
a sound card sine wave generator, and a spl meter

they don't produce much under 200hz, and have a rising response up to 2khz and flat from 3 to 9khz where they taper off
the peak at 2khz is rather nasty if the volume is up much over 60db at my listening position, it measure about a 10db peak over nominal

i think i can change that a bit with changes in the polyfil i am using, i suspect the peak is largely due to the egg shape chamber
and as much as (gasp, choke) some folks hate EQ i pretty much tamed the peak with the sansui graphic equalizer.
that seems to have pulled things into line, and the listening experience is much improved

i can stand listening to them for more than 15 minutes! which is a dramatic improvement

also think it would be possible to alter or mitigate that peak with a contour network centered at 2khz

whatever the case the do a good job of filling my 14x24 room to a level that i can stand, i don't listen to much over 80db in any case
even though i think they will do a bit better than that

bob g

ps. the sound is "crystal" clear! (snicker, snicker)
It looks like a egg being held by a flower pot .
Excellent share , how do Omni direction speakers work for live tv ? And sports
You making a. Diy version of Omni satellites mirage ???
Klipsch killed off mirage ??? Nkoooooo!!!-‘ and energy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis