New Nad T758v3 or old T777 with upgrades

N

Niklasmagnus

Enthusiast
I’m able to buy a secondhand T777 v1 with 4K and BluOS Upgrade Kit for 880 usd. Since I want Atmos and DIRAC I need to buy that module for 670 usd, so in the end it cost me 1550 usd.
For the same money I can get a brand new T758v3.
What would you do?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m able to buy a secondhand T777 v1 with 4K and BluOS Upgrade Kit for 880 usd. Since I want Atmos and DIRAC I need to buy that module for 670 usd, so in the end it cost me 1550 usd.
For the same money I can get a brand new T758v3.
What would you do?
I would not touch the T758 V3 or the T777V3 (the much better one) Both, especially the 758 did not measure well on the ASR test bench. If you must have Dirac (for whatever reason..), how about Arcam's?

N

Niklasmagnus

Enthusiast
Still many people are happy with their NADs so please give suggestions between the two.

(I will look in to Arcam in parallel.)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Still many people are happy with their NADs so please give suggestions between the two.

(I will look in to Arcam in parallel.)
The 777 if in top condition and still under warranty.
Otherwise I would suggest the 758, assuming it has much more power output than your actual requirements. It has much higher distortions but likely still below the threshold of audibility if used well below it's limit.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I love my NAD T758v3. It sounds even better since the implementation of Dirac Live.

I prefer it to both my older Denon AVR1912 and my son's newer Marantz SR5011. Distortion? Inaudible to me, and I have fairly good speakers and ears.

N

Niklasmagnus

Enthusiast
The 777 if in top condition and still under warranty.
Otherwise I would suggest the 758, assuming it has much more power output than your actual requirements. It has much higher distortions but likely still below the threshold of audibility if used well below it's limit.
If good condition but no warranty?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My T758v3 was bought in November of 2015 as a "Factory Refurbished" T758. Over the years I've added the V130 MDC module to get 4k video, the BluOS kit to get streaming, and the AM230 module to get Atmos & Dirac Live.

All in, it's cost me $120 more than what a T758v3 costs new, but it's cheaper than buying new AVR's every couple years to get new features. Last spend was almost 3 years ago now, and it's been stone reliable. Warranty is a fading memory.

Still somehow, I'm very happy with it.

N

Niklasmagnus

Enthusiast
My T758v3 was bought in November of 2015 as a "Factory Refurbished" T758. Over the years I've added the V130 MDC module to get 4k video, the BluOS kit to get streaming, and the AM230 module to get Atmos & Dirac Live.

All in, it's cost me $120 more than what a T758v3 costs new, but it's cheaper than buying new AVR's every couple years to get new features. Last spend was almost 3 years ago now, and it's been stone reliable. Warranty is a fading memory.

Still somehow, I'm very happy with it.
You have the T758?? How to update to Atmos and keep 4K with only one MDC?

Edit: and for how many years does NAD usually support an old model (T777) with the newest features, MDCs? I mean, this machine is already 5 years.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You have the T758?? How to update to Atmos and keep 4K with only one MDC?

Edit: and for how many years does NAD usually support an old model (T777) with the newest features, MDCs? I mean, this machine is already 5 years.
It two MDC modules in one slot. When you buy either one, it comes with it's one faceplate for using it alone, and one that changes the configuration if you have both that are screwed one on top of the other.

I think they run at least 10 years, but maybe longer. With AVR's it all depends upon what the technology being introduced is, and can it be done with a module or does it need a whole new main board. I know modules for the integrated amps have been around even longer.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Then I would still go with the T758 V3. NAD is not a brand known for great reliability (AVRs anyway), and they are already more expensive relatively speaking to begin with, so better safe than sorry. That's just my opinion, ommv.

N

Niklasmagnus

Enthusiast
Will go with the T777 for 780 usd, he dropped the price 100. According the Swedish dealers its the better machine is added all new MDC which I intend.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The T777 does have a better, toroidal power supply and outputs 33% more power per channel. If you add the VM300, AM230, and BluOS kit it'll be equivalent to the T777v3 which is being replaced by the new T778.

Best of luck to you with it!

N

Niklasmagnus

Enthusiast
Question regarding DIRAC: how will DIRAC handle surround arrays? I’m running 2 pcs per surround channel, (the smallest array possible )

Last edited:
N

Niklasmagnus

Enthusiast
Question regarding DIRAC: how will DIRAC handle surround arrays? I’m running 2 pcs per surround channel, (the smallest array possible )
Bump! See above.

Also, due to corona the Atmos and Dirac upgrade must wait

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis