New member with lucky thrift shop hifi finds

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
I have no reference having never owned any Def Tech stuff, I'm sure the newer models got progressively better. The Mythos 4 has no "sub" driver within the tower, I think those are different models. These are nice and slim so they don't eat up a ton of room.
1573224697358-1835434046.jpg

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have no reference having never owned any Def Tech stuff, I'm sure the newer models got progressively better. The Mythos 4 has no "sub" driver within the tower, I think those are different models. These are nice and slim so they don't eat up a ton of room.
View attachment 32174
It's the Mythos "ST" line that has the built in subs and amps. ST = Super Tower

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Ahh nice , are they better then modern def tech towers ? Why do they have so many amplifier failures ? Do they towers subs compare to stand alone subs??
DefTech has made a ton of different speakers over the years, both with internal subwoofers and amplifiers and those without. The BP30 speakers, from a dozen plus years ago, was considered an excellent speaker without any internal subwoofer. Great for movies. About that same time, the Mythos speakers hit the market.

So, while DefTech does make a bunch of speakers with integrated subwoofers (and amps), I would NEVER buy one or recommend one with that extra stuff. Subwoofer placement in a room is a big deal, and a amp going bad and taking out your whole speaker is BS. In the few years I did residential work, I saw a lot of DefTech speakers with amplifiers that failed. The general end game was that people would just abandon the internal subwoofer in favor of an external subwoofer. This made their big DefTech speaker overpriced and larger than needed for no added value.

That doesn't mean avoid DefTech at all. I just avoid their integrated sub/amp speakers.
I had a DefTech subwoofer and sure as heck, the amplifier failed on it.
I would think that over the years that the quality has improved on these products from them, but I was completely turned off on their amplifier quality all those years ago and am not sure my mind will be changed anytime soon.

I think their smaller Mythos speakers offer a very good quality build for the money, even if they are not going to be bass heavy. Their look is nearly unmatched.

I will say that it's amazing how similar those are to the Paradigm Millenium speakers that I have...

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Hello Everyone,

First post here for me, happy to be here. I've been snooping here the last few months before deciding to register today after seeing the huge amount of resources and help this place is.

A few months back, I was randomly browsing a thrift store for an aquarium for my daughter and stumbled upon an Arcam AVR350 sitting on a shelf for $70. Growing up in a household of a working musician father surrounded by many high end brands of professional gear (and being a student of jazz studies for 20 years of my life),I instantly recognized the brand and realize that this was no ordinary big box store junk. I hopped on it, brought it home, and I now have a $70 beast that puts out a solid 120w RMS for my stereo listening room I was starting to set up. I purchased a pair of Elac Debut 2.0 bookshelf speakers about a week later as I started to feel the bite of the hifi bug. They rated well, and I very much like the sound of them.

Fast forward about a week later and I'm cruising through the same thrift shop, hifi fever starting to consume me. Over in the corner I see a very nice set of tower speakers, a matching subwoofer about the size of the old Velodyne stuff, and a matching center channel. My heart drops when I realize the Snell badge on all these items. I made an offer for the lot far under what they were asking. Out came the plastic, and out I walked with a speaker set I could have NEVER afforded or ever dreamed of owning. Stoked to say the least, and nearly my whole system is from a thrift shop! The only thing I have purchased elsewhere is my Project turntable, the Elac Debut 2.0's, and a beautiful old Adcom pre-amp. Here's some picks of the haul- disregard the Elac floorstanders, they got sold a week after I lucked up on the Snell set.

View attachment 30737View attachment 30738View attachment 30739View attachment 30740View attachment 30741View attachment 30742View attachment 30743View attachment 30744
That’s awesome, you made out like a bandit!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Congratulations
Hope you enjoy them

Surround repair ? Mystery speakers
[/URL]
Still stuck with these useless things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[URL Surround repair ? Mystery speakers https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=59414&share_tid=116087&url=https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/index.php?threads/Surround-repair-?-Mystery-speakers-.116087/&share_type=t&link_source=app ][/URL]

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Internet Direct. Companies like Hsu and SVS. They stay competitive by cutting out the middle man (brick n mortar stores).
SVS is not strictly internet-direct. They have seen the value in having brick & mortar dealers representing them. Best Buy is one, but they really don't count as a 'knowledgeable dealer' or 'trusted advisor'. My local dealer sells SVS, and it's a good mover for them. Same prices as on SVS' website. I cannot reveal if I get any additional discount but I do get the full SVS buyer protection deal.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
First time seeing this thread! Well today the thrift stores just opened back in Florida. :) I might have gotten a few things stay tuned!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There's a pretty familiar feeling theme to this thread...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
There's a pretty familiar feeling theme to this thread...
It is. Saw a pair of infinity towers, but the woofers were damaged. Didn’t take pics cause the line was long and was trying to get out of there since it was a bit crowded.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Not Hi-Fi related, but I needed a fridge to store extra stuff and was needing one for over 3 months. I went to the to local thrift store to see what they had and peeped through the window and saw this Gem. :) I had to stand on line so wanted to make sure they had one. In the past I saw some for $65, but were not worth it. This one was bigger, so decided to check it out. When I finally got inside to my surprise it was only 24.99. :eek: A couple of dings in front, but overall in good shape. Got it home and gave it a bleach clean out. Stay tune I went to another thrift store. ;)
F8567D76-6861-416A-BDA2-9BFF45AE7DFA.jpeg

AC2D9CAB-6D0D-4499-BD5D-FD4237D04EA3.jpeg

49951B46-AEA5-4EC7-B748-54862E062510.jpeg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Goodwill find. Got these for $3 each. Sinatra in Tokyo, Japan in 1985(Like new condition). Elvis Aloha From Hawaii(brand new in wrapper)1973. Both on DVD. Had the iconic Aloha concert before and glad to own it again. The Sinatra performance here I’ve never seen, so maybe I’ll watch this weekend.
Two more items to go. :D This is exciting!!! ;)
243F9366-2998-4C80-BF67-2B16BA3B1AFF.jpeg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
eBay in person purchase. Universal MX-450. Minty condition. I had this remote before(paid around $50 on eBay) and got lucky to get this one as I acquired TV/AVR without remotes. This remote is expensive new and was always my favorite when I had it. I know a couple of peeps here have this remote and know how great it is. The seller threw in this base as part of the sale. I only had the remote only before, so never had a base. I probably won’t use it though so if anyone wants it PM and just PayPal me the postage. All for only $20 buckets!!! One more to go. Get excited your darn audioholics! :D
71218B69-1F38-4EB3-85AD-8B385D804A25.jpeg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I’ll let the picture speak for themselves.
480D3C07-479A-4BE7-B0DD-4D3A610AEDC6.jpeg

3E4FB3C3-B463-46D4-A303-78A7CB87F575.jpeg

DEEBAB60-8FBC-4099-959A-A3377B853402.jpeg

8B94797A-6563-4DBC-AF65-2BCEC4B84677.jpeg

7496AB77-4D72-4A1F-8339-5F44065E6871.jpeg
6460F683-FCD6-4C13-A2BD-FEC15F2E16BC.jpeg

B657B3CD-8727-4297-A867-F73ABD8AF64E.jpeg

First time I’ve ever owned a 9.2 system and a D3 amp. I know this was $3,000 new, so I’m very lucky. The guy in the store said the owner said it was not working, so I made my way to plug it in and it turned on, so I took a chance and bought it home to try maybe a reset, which I’ll do later today. I was actually on my way out the stove with my DVDs when I saw it staring at me. This is the heaviest AVR I own. It’s 40lbs. It’s has a couple of scratches on top, but front is like new especially after cleanup. No remote, but my MX-450 remote works with it. My intention was to get a fridge for $50, so $50 for both is a bitchen bargain. Rah.

Attachments

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That is a cool looking remote. I've not seen that one before.

What do you do with all those receivers you find? I'm gonna have to open a museum soon for all my speakers. We should get together... lol. I have some fun with my speakers tho. Sometimes when I get a day off I'll drag 'em all out and switch back and forth, trying to get better at critically listening, learning the differences between all the different designs, strengths and weaknesses. Those Kefs I found were pretty cool. First speakers I've heard with that kind of directivity. I wanna hear a good one now.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
View attachment 36276
View attachment 36275
View attachment 36277
View attachment 36280
View attachment 36281View attachment 36282
View attachment 36279
First time I’ve ever owned a 9.2 system and a D3 amp. I know this was $3,000 new, so I’m very lucky. The guy in the store said the owner said it was not working, so I made my way to plug it in and it turned on, so I took a chance and bought it home to try maybe a reset, which I’ll do later today. I was actually on my way out the stove with my DVDs when I saw it staring at me. This is the heaviest AVR I own. It’s 40lbs. It’s has a couple of scratches on top, but front is like new especially after cleanup. No remote, but my MX-450 remote works with it. My intention was to get a fridge for $50, so $50 for both is a bitchen bargain. Rah.
Ohhh... just saw the "Class D" decal on the front of that receiver. 4k too. That's more on the modern side of what you usually find. Cleaned up nice too!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Exce
View attachment 36276
View attachment 36275
View attachment 36277
View attachment 36280
View attachment 36281View attachment 36282
View attachment 36279
Excellent! $25? Wow!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Ohhh... just saw the "Class D" decal on the front of that receiver. 4k too. That's more on the modern side of what you usually find. Cleaned up nice too!
Thanks man it was so weird I was about to just buy those dvds and on top of a shelf the receiver was upside down and curiously I took a gander. This is their top AVR in 2013. It does 4K, but no Dolby Atmos. Don’t really care I don’t have a 4K TV. I damn curious about the legendary D3 amp it top audiophile stuff and well regarded. Gonna hook up some speakers later on. I’m hungry haven’t eaten anything yet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis