New member. RF7ii first major purchase??

J

Jspenrod

Audiophyte
Hey all. First of all, I just want to say thank you for all of the great reviews, posts and guidance on all things audio. I have been researching and looking for speakers, receivers, amps for over a year now Your threads always seem to pop up when I’m researching something worth considering. With that being said, I’ve finally found a set of “higher end” speakers that I’m thinking I should get. Set of Cherry RF7 ii in mint condition $1000 for the pair. I know $1000 and these speakers might not be “high end “ to you guys but to guy just starting out, and his old last that he’s got to squeeze the money out of, its a lot. Should I pull the trigger guys??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you like the sound $1000 worth, go for it. Really hard to know what you might like in the way of speakers, and Klipsch aren't for everyone....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That is an excellent price on those speakers if they are in good shape!
Klipsch tends to be one of the more polarizing brands here.
There earlier offerings earned a reputation for being harsh and it seems that they have gradually toned things down over the decades to where their current offering measure pretty neutral (not sure about their least expensive offerings).
But the RF7's have a great reputation and I think you would not lose money if you decided to flip them later.

In short, check to make sure you are comfortable with the presentation of the treble. If you are, take them home!

J

Jspenrod

Audiophyte
Thanks gents! Gonna audition them tomorrow. Fingers crossed I like them, but I won't be scared to pass

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Yes to what Kurt said, as for the treble, they can be 'hot' !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, Klipsch is known for being on the bright side, but the model you're talking about is one of their better offerings. Give 'em a listen before you buy.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey all. First of all, I just want to say thank you for all of the great reviews, posts and guidance on all things audio. I have been researching and looking for speakers, receivers, amps for over a year now Your threads always seem to pop up when I’m researching something worth considering. With that being said, I’ve finally found a set of “higher end” speakers that I’m thinking I should get. Set of Cherry RF7 ii in mint condition $1000 for the pair. I know $1000 and these speakers might not be “high end “ to you guys but to guy just starting out, and his old last that he’s got to squeeze the money out of, its a lot. Should I pull the trigger guys??
I've owned Klipsch the newer versions and the bright treble is not an issue in the new models.

On top of that the rf7 ii's are there previous flagship for that model and for $1000 a pair that is an excellent price if you can listen to them like them well then you should snap those up in a heartbeat

Also Klipsch's top of the line do not have the treble issues there lower end models do pretty much at any time any model. The issue is you usually have to overpay to get there.

Not you with that deal an incredible deal if they are in good shape.

You could begin to build an amazing surround system around those 2 towers

J

Jspenrod

Audiophyte
They auditioned really well on a base model Denon receiver that probably lacks the power that is needed to really hear what they can do. I played a broad spectrum with Dave Brubeck-Tangerine, some Puddle of Mud and Jeremiah-Down on me. I did not find them harsh. The bass was lacking, but these things didn’t even feel or look like they were being given any king of load. Excellent condition with one minor impression/ bruise on one speaker ( Not through the veneer). Original boxes. He was told they were a matched pair, but they are not sequential. I did give him $1000. I just could not pass them up. Now, to get these things hook up to something proper!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
They auditioned really well on a base model Denon receiver that probably lacks the power that is needed to really hear what they can do. I played a broad spectrum with Dave Brubeck-Tangerine, some Puddle of Mud and Jeremiah-Down on me. I did not find them harsh. The bass was lacking, but these things didn’t even feel or look like they were being given any king of load. Excellent condition with one minor impression/ bruise on one speaker ( Not through the veneer). Original boxes. He was told they were a matched pair, but they are not sequential. I did give him $1000. I just could not pass them up. Now, to get these things hook up to something proper!
Welcome to AH.

Actually, the sensitivity of that speaker is rated at 101 dB spl 1w/1m.
At 1 Watt it will produce 101 dB, so it doesn't need much of an amplifier.
What you may want to do is get a good subwoofer, say a 15" and just cross those over at 80 Hz.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Great buy bro congratulations!!!

J

Jspenrod

Audiophyte
Thank you for the crossover and sub suggestion. I will be playing around with different amp and speakers pairings, as well as biamping. Any other insight, setting recommendations, etc would be greatly appreciated. I know these speakers are pretty efficient, but does anyone know or have an opinion of a wattage sweet spot, or if there is one. I’m going to keep my eyes open for a deal on a McIntosh amp. It would be great if I had an idea of what is “best” for these rf7s.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you for the crossover and sub suggestion. I will be playing around with different amp and speakers pairings, as well as biamping. Any other insight, setting recommendations, etc would be greatly appreciated. I know these speakers are pretty efficient, but does anyone know or have an opinion of a wattage sweet spot, or if there is one. I’m going to keep my eyes open for a deal on a McIntosh amp. It would be great if I had an idea of what is “best” for these rf7s.
They are fairly easy to drive. Have you used an spl calculator?

J

Jspenrod

Audiophyte
I haven’t used an spl calculator, but I will give it a shot

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven’t used an spl calculator, but I will give it a shot
It's super easy. In fact every time someone posts that link I end up playing with it... lol. Just click on the link and enter the info. The site does the calculating for you.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
are you constructing a 2 channel rig or multi / HT set up ?

while there will be plenty of 'boos' around here for what I'm about to suggest but here goes ........ tubes / valves, their euphoric means of amplification can sound intoxicating on highly efficient speakers. Would I recommend them for an HT set up, no, but worth a listen if your doing a music only 2 channel.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
are you constructing a 2 channel rig or multi / HT set up ?

while there will be plenty of 'boos' around here for what I'm about to suggest but here goes ........ tubes / valves, their euphoric means of amplification can sound intoxicating on highly efficient speakers. Would I recommend them for an HT set up, no, but worth a listen if your doing a music only 2 channel.
As my daughter used to say when she was about six years old, "Eww!!".

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
As my daughter used to say when she was about six years old, "Eww!!".
come on Irv, I know you're an old fart too, you had to have heard some killer horn load speakers driven by an SET amp or two over the years.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
come on Irv, I know you're an old fart too, you had to have heard some killer horn load speakers driven by an SET amp or two over the years.
An old fart? Maybe. Heard horn-loaded speakers driven by a SET solid-state or tube amp, or any tube amp? Never. I'm a virgin.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I can still remember testing vacuum tubes on a tube tester down at the local drug store when I was young. I grew up with 'tube' everything. Tube radios, tube turntables, tube television, tube guitar amps, even our old 1953 Plymouth wagon and our 1960 Ford Falcon had tube radios.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis