New member looking to grow in the audiophile world.

C

Cvbryso

Enthusiast
Overpowering is simply bad integration. Or preference :) SVS isn't the value they once were but their customer service is hard to beat here in the US....free home trials. Demoing a sub in a store is generally useless.
Lol there are so many choices and with as much money as it can cost I surely dont want to lake a wrong one. The main highend audio store I wont even deal with because of how the treated me when I returned the B&W speakers. I asked about a return policy and they said 30 days but when I came back 2 weeks later they said it was wrong of me to return them because I was taking food off his sons plate. He actually refused the return stating he wasnt going to lose commission just because I cant suck it up and deal with the B&W. I literally had to speak to the owner and the owner forces him to return the speakers. The owner offered me 20% off my next purchase but because I was so off put i left and haven't been back in 6 years.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lol there are so many choices and with as much money as it can cost I surely dont want to lake a wrong one. The main highend audio store I wont even deal with because of how the treated me when I returned the B&W speakers. I asked about a return policy and they said 30 days but when I came back 2 weeks later they said it was wrong of me to return them because I was taking food off his sons plate. He actually refused the return stating he wasnt going to lose commission just because I cant suck it up and deal with the B&W. I literally had to speak to the owner and the owner forces him to return the speakers. The owner offered me 20% off my next purchase but because I was so off put i left and haven't been back in 6 years.
The "high-end" of audio is mostly bullshit so no loss. Many have had the same experience with that series of B&W....I did audition some and was very much not impressed by that series. Sounds like a retailer to avoid in any case.

C

Cvbryso

Enthusiast
The "high-end" of audio is mostly bullshit so no loss. Many have had the same experience with that series of B&W....I did audition some and was very much not impressed by that series. Sounds like a retailer to avoid in any case.
I was quiet surprised that my PSB alpha B1 sounded so much better then the 685's. They seemed more about $$$ which I understand because its your job. But I felt like they were always leading me to the B&W set and not to anything else. I wanted to hear more PSB but was told PSB isnt on par with B&W. But what is on par for you could be completely different for me . Just like the ESL its either a love or hate type of thing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was quiet surprised that my PSB alpha B1 sounded so much better then the 685's. They seemed more about $$$ which I understand because its your job. But I felt like they were always leading me to the B&W set and not to anything else. I wanted to hear more PSB but was told PSB isnt on par with B&W. But what is on par for you could be completely different for me . Just like the ESL its either a love or hate type of thing.
Most speakers are very subjective and salespeople telling you what is better is generally useless. Electrostatics can be nice but need good positioning for best results. PSB is a fine brand and make very good speakers, particularly at the range B&W doesn't.

C

Cvbryso

Enthusiast
Overpowering is simply bad integration. Or preference :) SVS isn't the value they once were but their customer service is hard to beat here in the US....free home trials. Demoing a sub in a store is generally useless.
So first I really want to thank you for your time and advice. I received my speakers today and literally spent about 8 hours listening to music. I was listening to everything from Frank Sinatra to Tool and everything sounded great. They were a little bright when I first hooked them up but as time went on that really calmed down. I could tell the difference between the first hour and the 8th and know as time goes on they will break in even more. They seemed to pair well to me with the emotiva xpa3-gen3. Now I know I don't have much to compare them with but to my ears they sounded great.

This really makes me even more want to turn 1 of the extra bedrooms into a dedicated music room. I would love to start a vinyl collection but have absolutely no idea where to start. I would even like to see about a nice pair of bookshelf speakers top go in the room as I think the ESL's will be to big for the room.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So first I really want to thank you for your time and advice. I received my speakers today and literally spent about 8 hours listening to music. I was listening to everything from Frank Sinatra to Tool and everything sounded great. They were a little bright when I first hooked them up but as time went on that really calmed down. I could tell the difference between the first hour and the 8th and know as time goes on they will break in even more. They seemed to pair well to me with the emotiva xpa3-gen3. Now I know I don't have much to compare them with but to my ears they sounded great.

This really makes me even more want to turn 1 of the extra bedrooms into a dedicated music room. I would love to start a vinyl collection but have absolutely no idea where to start. I would even like to see about a nice pair of bookshelf speakers top go in the room as I think the ESL's will be to big for the room.
No problem, you're welcome.

You are more likely the one needing break-in rather than the speakers, especially the tweeters. Woofers maybe a bit but likely not audible. Sonic memory isn't all that reliable either.

My take on vinyl....if you haven't started, I'd not bother. I still have my tt (36 years now) and vinyl but haven't bought any in well over 20 years.

Good luck on figuring out what to do with the ESLs....

C

Cvbryso

Enthusiast
No problem, you're welcome.

You are more likely the one needing break-in rather than the speakers, especially the tweeters. Woofers maybe a bit but likely not audible. Sonic memory isn't all that reliable either.

My take on vinyl....if you haven't started, I'd not bother. I still have my tt (36 years now) and vinyl but haven't bought any in well over 20 years.

Good luck on figuring out what to do with the ESLs....

Would you happen to know if crutchfield speaker wire is any good ? Its 14 gauge with banana plugs. I'm looking at the 15 foot wire and its $21 a piece .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis