New member introduction here. :)

• Thread starter Digital Movie Boards
  • Start date
Digital Movie Boards

Digital Movie Boards

Audiophyte
:)Hello everyone. My name is JD and I have been a very long time lurker here and I decided to join the group today.
I would love to share any experience or product knowledge with the group wherever I can.
My experience is... obviously... in the home theater field. I have been in this field since I was around 12 years old. I opened my home theater business when I was 21 and now I can only dream of retirement. It just seems so far off. Anyway, I do have many years experience with all types of home theater products, as well as first hand knowledge with several manufactures due to my involvement in the field. Hopefully I can provide insight to many topics here.

Again, thanks for having me.

JD

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
:)Hello everyone. My name is JD and I have been a very long time lurker here and I decided to join the group today.
I would love to share any experience or product knowledge with the group wherever I can.
My experience is... obviously... in the home theater field. I have been in this field since I was around 12 years old. I opened my home theater business when I was 21 and now I can only dream of retirement. It just seems so far off. Anyway, I do have many years experience with all types of home theater products, as well as first hand knowledge with several manufactures due to my involvement in the field. Hopefully I can provide insight to many topics here.

Again, thanks for having me.

JD
Well welcome.

If you have been following these forums then I suspect you have feel for our ethical values, and feel you would be a fit.

We do have a couple of pros in the forum and they have made many contributions to the forum and given of their advice freely to assist those with problems.

We certainly have helped many to solve technical problems. Making recommendations as to specific equipment purchases is difficult as we really only have first hand experience of our own equipment. We do assist in researching hard test data and as far as possible excluding hearsay, which has very limited use and can be highly misleading.

I have been doing this since I was 7, so a few years before your age of 12. However an early start in formative years is an advantage.

So I hope you can share the burden so to speak, as many members here research and give of their advice freely, and we have helped many.

If you have followed us, lurking as you say, then you are likely familiar with our regulars, including myself. So you would know that I design and build my own speakers. I also design my rooms as a total integrity as much as possible. So I do not go shopping for speakers.

It would be helpful if you could tell us specifically what you sell and what products you prefer to sell, and or install.

Any pictures of you installations would be really appreciated.

Switching gears there are things we do not tolerate, like advising switching to expensive power cables, exotic expensive speaker, and other audio cables. In other words we have zero tolerance for what we term 'audiophoolery'.

We are here to provide sound technical advice based on good sound science and engineering which can be verified by measurement and NOT subjective opinion.

If in the unlikely event you have come here to promote such products, and we have people who do so wander in on a regular basis, we will come down on you like "a ton of bricks."
Failing to do say wastes inordinate time.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
JD, welcome to the fold !

Don't let TLS guy get you nervous, we only let him out of the 'home' on weekends ...... ;)

Digital Movie Boards

Digital Movie Boards

Audiophyte
Thanks for that TLS Guy.

I too don't believe the hype on snake oil products. There may be some merit to some claims though I don't believe most could actually benefit or hear/see the difference. I don't like speaking for others but I guess if you have the money and you feel it's a good purchase then who am I to tell someone how to spend their money. To each his own.

My comfort zone on equipment is home theater installations. As a business I carry JVC, Klipsch, KEF, Denon, Marantz, Parasound, R_volution, ... pretty standard stuff. Basic installations mostly. Nothing to really write home about. I tend to do mostly residential installations but we also dabble in commercial installations as well.

Software is another area that is more representative of my experience. This is all I will say about that since I do not want to break any forum rules.

My personal gear does contain a lot of vintage equipment. I love old school equipment. I have a pair of Carver AL-III ribbon speakers that I will be buried with. These are run by a Mac C29, 7200, and 7270 amps. Topped off with a couple of turntables...Denon DP-62L and Yamaha PX-3, as well as a couple of reel-to-reel machines from Technics and Revox. I do have other gear that I swap out with or that I use in my office. Martin Logan speakers are my next favorite to the Carvers paired with a Parasound Halo Hint6 integrated amp.

I do love me my newer digital stuff, but analog has my heart.

JD

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for that TLS Guy.

I too don't believe the hype on snake oil products. There may be some merit to some claims though I don't believe most could actually benefit or hear/see the difference. I don't like speaking for others but I guess if you have the money and you feel it's a good purchase then who am I to tell someone how to spend their money. To each his own.

My comfort zone on equipment is home theater installations. As a business I carry JVC, Klipsch, KEF, Denon, Marantz, Parasound, R_volution, ... pretty standard stuff. Basic installations mostly. Nothing to really write home about. I tend to do mostly residential installations but we also dabble in commercial installations as well.

Software is another area that is more representative of my experience. This is all I will say about that since I do not want to break any forum rules.

My personal gear does contain a lot of vintage equipment. I love old school equipment. I have a pair of Carver AL-III ribbon speakers that I will be buried with. These are run by a Mac C29, 7200, and 7270 amps. Topped off with a couple of turntables...Denon DP-62L and Yamaha PX-3, as well as a couple of reel-to-reel machines from Technics and Revox. I do have other gear that I swap out with or that I use in my office. Martin Logan speakers are my next favorite to the Carvers paired with a Parasound Halo Hint6 integrated amp.

I do love me my newer digital stuff, but analog has my heart.

JD
You sound like a really good fit. It sounds like you have a lot to contribute.

I also love vintage gear. Mainly because I don't want to part with it.

Please post the pictures of your collection

I know those Carver speakers.

One of my colleagues ordered a set, and Bob Carver came to Grand Forks ND to personally deliver them.

He came to my place afterwards, and listened to my TLs, which are now my surround rear speakers. He stayed for nearly an hour or more. I can well understand why you don't want to part with them.

New and vintage gear.

Revox A 700, Brenell MK 6. two Revox A77s, and TEAC Z6000, Dolby A & B code/ encoders, dbx 1 and two decodes with dbx disc decoder.

The turntables.

Garrard 301 with Decca pro arm and MK II 78 RPM head, and H4E LP head.

Preamps Quad 22, I bought in 1966, Quad 44, and Quad 34.

Decca LP head.

78 head. The Quad 22 has all the Eq codes for practically any 78 disc.

The Thorens TD 150 has SME series 3 arm with Shure V15xmr.

The right Garrard 301 has an SME series 2 improved arm with Shure V15xmr.

This is the power amp case, 7 Quad 909s and 2 Quad 405 II amps. I guess they are vintage now, but I have a hard time accepting that.

This is the Thorens TD 125 Mk II in our family room. That I bought non working and restored it. The arm is SME series 3 and the head is Shure V15xmr.

These are the rear surrounds that used to be my front speakers in Grand Forks, now rebuilt and currently installed in Eagan. You can see the surrounds also. These date from 1984 and were my first speakers designed using design box and crossover software.

These are the fronts. Right and left speakers are dual triamped TL speakers, that are a further development of the dual TLs that were once in the BBC Maida Vale studios. These studios have been sold and recommissioned. I did obtain two of the amp boards just for reasons of nostalgia. The center is a TL design also. All the AV room speakers are TLs except the side surrounds and the four ceiling speakers.

Family room system.

I am eager to see pictures of your vintage gear.

Visitors are always surprised by the SQ of vintage gear.

I hope you will be a long term contributor to these forums.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis