New Marantz gear .....

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
It would be nice if the review had hi res images. It seems odd when PR comes out with fuzzy images especially when the details are limited. I can't see where the CD/SCAD is inserted or what type of mechanism it might be?

What makes the 30n better than the Marantz 8006 besides SACD?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well in that case it would probably be little different than other gear as the looks are still pedestrian (kinda fugly actually). The aesthetics of the box mean little to me, tho. :) No way I'm paying $3k for an optical disc player, tho (and the integrated amp is pretty pricy too).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It would be nice if the review had hi res images. It seems odd when PR comes out with fuzzy images especially when the details are limited. I can't see where the CD/SCAD is inserted or what type of mechanism it might be?

I'm guessing that this is a preproduction sample.
In manufacturing, often there is some uncertainty of how the final finish of the mass produced unit will look. Blurring the focus gives them a little "room to breathe"!

As an aside. one time, running a new plastic trim piece (seems like it was the foot rest pad for the left foot in a Freightliner truck), we were all marveling at how cool it looked where the ribs underneath had read through to the top surface creating this neat snakeskin/diamond-grid type effect. Our processing engineer took one look at it and commented that we need to make sure they got destroyed. It was a "defective run" while tuning the injection molding press process, but he knew that if Freigtliner ever saw it, they would want us to make them all that way! He had been doing this a long time and was brilliant at it, but he knew that the process parameters to get this "cool look" could not be maintained with viable repeatability!
I thought of this story because the machining patterns on the Marantz looks very similar!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I think I see a slot right above the display window that looks about the right size to accept a disc.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I think I see a slot right above the display window that looks about the right size to accept a disc.
correct, if you look at my link in post #1 it's quite easy to see......

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
tray2.png

It looks like a low tech CD Tray design like the one in the Denon DCD-600NE. "CD Tray" added for clarity. :)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
No, it's not a slot. It's a tray. The entire upper portion of the display opens.
1599121101922.png

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
The problem with the standard CD tray design is it's the weak spot in this $2K hardware and they are typically not built to be replaceable. I would love to see an audio CD design that uses a standard Pioneer CD mechanism that could be easily swapped out like the one in my old Mac Pro.

I have trashed 3 audio CD players over the last few years from Yamaha, Sony and Marantz because the CD mechanism broke. The eject hardware is pretty complicated and that tray mechanism almost always wears out before the rest of the unit. Even a slot driven CD player eventually wears out and its usually the CD reader. A user replaceable reader would make these units last much longer.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The problem with the standard CD tray design is it's the weak spot in this $2K hardware and they are typically not built to be replaceable. I would love to see an audio CD design that uses a standard Pioneer CD mechanism that could be easily swapped out like the one in my old Mac Pro.

I have trashed 3 audio CD players over the last few years from Yamaha, Sony and Marantz because the CD mechanism broke. The eject hardware is pretty complicated and that tray mechanism almost always wears out before the rest of the unit. Even a slot driven CD player eventually wears out and its usually the CD reader. A user replaceable reader would make these units last much longer.
interesting, I've had CD players since the mid-eighties and never had a 'tray failure'. As a matter of fact my trusty old CAL (California Audio Labs) unit is till going strong in my sons kit out in the Rocky mountains.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis