NEW Mandatory Standards of HDMI Cable Certification Assures 2.1, 8K Support

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
As many of U know mislabeling of HDMI cables is out of control...
"Today @ WCES 2020, the HDMI Forum/Licensing Administrator announced a mandatory certification program for Ultra High-Speed HDMI cables to ensure support for both 4K & 8K video, 4K 120Hz, HDR, VRR, eARC and other HDMI 2.1 features for consumer & commercial cables. All certified cables of any length must pass this new certification testing @ an HDMI Authorized Test Center. Also the testing includes meeting current EMI requirements as to minimize wireless interference. Once the cables are certified, the cable maker must affix an Ultra-High-Speed Certification label. Having this certification is the only way to ensure all features and capabilities for the HDMI 2.1 specification are delivered from a source device to a display..."

Just my $0.02... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is there a name for this certification, similar to "THX" ?

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Is there a link?

Maybe this will slow down the over-priced, under-tested, under-documented after market cable business.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm. Couldn’t counterfeiters just duplicate the Label and barcode?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm. Couldn’t counterfeiters just duplicate the Label and barcode?
They can be chased by hdmi.org but perhaps like the recent Sonos vs Google et al that it depends how much your legal fund can support....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They can be chased by hdmi.org but perhaps like the recent Sonos vs Google et al that it depends how much your legal fund can support....
Could they still sue if the "Ultra High Speed Certified" Label and Barcode don't look the same?

What if the HDMI cable makers claim that THEY did their own "certification"? :D

IOW, they don't claim that the cables are certified by HDMI FORUM or its affiliates but are certified by their own individual companies. So they make their own labels and barcodes that say "Ultra High Speed Certified". They may even take it one step further and add a second label that says "HDMI 2.1 10K 48Gbps Certified". :D

The reason is because "Ultra High Speed" has been used to death by everyone already.

It's not like "THX".

Now if THX were to certify all these HDMI cables and put their stamp on these cables as "THX HDMI 2.1 CERTIFIED", that's a different story.

Any company who uses a "THX" label that has not been certified by THX will get sued.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Could they still sue if the "Ultra High Speed Certified" Label and Barcode don't look the same? What if the HDMI cable makers claim that THEY did their own "certification"? :D
Very likely..

IOW, they don't claim that the cables are certified by HDMI FORUM or its affiliates but are certified by their own individual companies. So they make their own labels and barcodes that say "Ultra High Speed Certified". They may even take it one step further and add a second label that says "HDMI 2.1 10K 48Gbps Certified". :D
Good suggestion to add 48GPs but...
Still the basic problem remains...
Unauthorized factories will crank out the counterfeits, but most likely the cables will not be able to handle the speed/bandwidth. But the buyer/user will never notice the difference until his new HDMI 2.1 product doesn't work as promised...:oops:
Then, most likely he will blame the hardware brand..

Now if THX were to certify all these HDMI cables and put their stamp on these cables as "THX HDMI 2.1 CERTIFIED", that's a different story.
Any company who uses a "THX" label that has not been certified by THX will get sued.
Nice thought but THX doesn't have deep enough $ pockets to sue all of the violators...

SUMMARY
We source HDMI cable, BT ear buds, BT headphones for certain well-known primary brands, and for every authorized factory there are 5 that will crank out the fakes and put whatever BS labels on them. I know for a fact that about 75% of the Beats headphones are fake, same thing goes on with Apple lightning cables and authorized accessories. This is nothing new, the Chinese factories REFUSE to recognize the established trademarks, copyrights, patents/IP for any of the Dolby, DTS, and other intellectual properties.... Too late to stop/control, the cat is already out of the bag..

Just my $0.02... ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
As many of U know mislabeling of HDMI cables is out of control...
"Today @ WCES 2020, the HDMI Forum/Licensing Administrator announced a mandatory certification program for Ultra High-Speed HDMI cables to ensure support for both 4K & 8K video, 4K 120Hz, HDR, VRR, eARC and other HDMI 2.1 features for consumer & commercial cables. All certified cables of any length must pass this new certification testing @ an HDMI Authorized Test Center. Also the testing includes meeting current EMI requirements as to minimize wireless interference. Once the cables are certified, the cable maker must affix an Ultra-High-Speed Certification label. Having this certification is the only way to ensure all features and capabilities for the HDMI 2.1 specification are delivered from a source device to a display..."

Just my $0.02... ;)
I bet that won't eliminate rogue cables. Wireless RF interference is a big problem with HDMI cables. They seem the worst cables of all for this problem.

Also what are they going to do about the power draw for active and hybrid cables? That is a big issue. That needs a realistic standard. Currently these cables can not be certified because of this issue.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
THX doesn't have deep enough $ pockets to sue all of the violators...
Does anyone have deep enough pockets to sue all of the violators?

If not, then there will be plenty of HDMI 2.1 certification counterfeiters.

So what's the point of this certification?

Whether the cables are "certified" or not, the safest thing is to buy these cables from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, or other retailers that offer a return policy so that you can return the cables if they don't work.

Will the HDMI 2.1 cables cost $200 each vs. $10-20 for the other brands?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Does anyone have deep enough pockets to sue all of the violators?

If not, then there will be plenty of HDMI 2.1 certification counterfeiters.

So what's the point of this certification?

Whether the cables are "certified" or not, the safest thing is to buy these cables from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, or other retailers that offer a return policy so that you can return the cables if they don't work.

Will the HDMI 2.1 cables cost $200 each vs. $10-20 for the other brands?
The guys @ HDMI-org are well aware of the BS specs printed on the counterfeit cables but... They at least have to make a visible effort to make the case about the bogus cables. As posted above and seen firsthand :oops: ...
The availability of counterfeit HDMI cables and other CE products/consumer goods is already well established.... No (1) press release will stop this action, up to Washington DC to step in and clamp down... But in reality they have other priorities... Actually HDMI cables from Amazon, Walmart, Harbor Freight have a high probability of being counterfeit... o_O
But as Sonny/Cher used to say.... The Beat goes on...

But then again this situation is no different than this Pyle amplifier for $119 rated @ 3KW sold by Amazon...

Just my $0.02... ;)

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

But then again this situation is no different than this Pyle amplifier for $119 rated @ 3KW sold by Amazon...

Just my $0.02... ;)
Yep. Didn't see a UL or Canadian cert, no power rating by the plug.
3k peak is 1.5k continuous. Really? 375 Watts per channel?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Yep. Didn't see a UL or Canadian cert, no power rating by the plug.
3k peak is 1.5k continuous. Really? 375 Watts per channel?
No idea!!
No way that unit is 3KW maybe just a typo and is really 3W...
Or else Pyle has some incredible engineers/breakthrough technology where they can deliver very high power @ low market pricing... o_O o_O o_O
The Pyle rear panel does have a CE logo, which is primarily for Europe. I also note it has switchable AC line input voltage 120/220V.. Can't comment further without having an actual sample..

Just my $0.02... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis