New Linn Klimax DSM

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Linn's new streamer with inboard DAC selling for $39,000

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or run... perhaps all three at once?
And here, I thought it was Aurender that was supposed to be the t!ts.

:rolleyes:

...but it's only 22-Large vs 39. Posers.

:p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, if you want to be bent over that far, there will always be a few brands good for it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This is just sad. There are people who will buy this thing and think that their 128kbs mp3s sound better than anything on the planet. Just completely oblivious to the world around them. They will be okay with the fact that the unit constantly drops the network connection, or that some other aspect completely fails on a regular basis since IT is a constantly shifting beast that always seems to bring up unexpected issues and needs firmware updates constantly.

I remember a client who used Pandora constantly, and then Pandora changed how 3rd party devices integrated with them. Brought down every Denon receiver in the world... just like that. Denon had to go through every single product they had, and were supporting, to update firmware for this.

This is why dedicated streaming devices with consistent firmware exists. It's also why products have a shelf life. Yes, it is supported for 7-10 years, but then it no longer is supported. It will work until it doesn't work, then you have to buy a replacement. Just ask the owners of first generation Sonos gear.

Imagine a whole house outfitted with 10-20 Sonos speakers that no longer will receive any firmware updates. Then consider why centralized whole house audio, with only a few key sources can make more sense.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
This is just sad. There are people who will buy this thing and think that their 128kbs mp3s sound better than anything on the planet. Just completely oblivious to the world around them. They will be okay with the fact that the unit constantly drops the network connection, or that some other aspect completely fails on a regular basis since IT is a constantly shifting beast that always seems to bring up unexpected issues and needs firmware updates constantly.

I remember a client who used Pandora constantly, and then Pandora changed how 3rd party devices integrated with them. Brought down every Denon receiver in the world... just like that. Denon had to go through every single product they had, and were supporting, to update firmware for this.

This is why dedicated streaming devices with consistent firmware exists. It's also why products have a shelf life. Yes, it is supported for 7-10 years, but then it no longer is supported. It will work until it doesn't work, then you have to buy a replacement. Just ask the owners of first generation Sonos gear.

Imagine a whole house outfitted with 10-20 Sonos speakers that no longer will receive any firmware updates. Then consider why centralized whole house audio, with only a few key sources can make more sense.
These facts are exactly why the RPi options are SO ATTRACTIVE!

You can literally have state of the art, "audiophile quality" streamers for <$200!

Guess what, the ecosystem is all open source and "community supported"!

The only real drawback is that this option is not Plug-and-Play. But, the internet age means that the resources to build and configure your devices are easily found online. And, just consider that as an opportunity to build a streamer, and add to your skillset as a bonus.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
These facts are exactly why the RPi options are SO ATTRACTIVE!

You can literally have state of the art, "audiophile quality" streamers for <$200!

Guess what, the ecosystem is all open source and "community supported"!

The only real drawback is that this option is not Plug-and-Play. But, the internet age means that the resources to build and configure your devices are easily found online. And, just consider that as an opportunity to build a streamer, and add to your skillset as a bonus.
I don't think most people care about Raspberry Pi options. Not that a lot don't use it and find it fun, I just think the average consumer isn't interested in figuring it all out. Especially if there are a ton of options, variations, etc. associated with it. But, it is one option, of many, which provides streaming audio services to the home and individual.

Also, you have all the devices which connect directly to your phone and allow audio streaming from a phone. You have phones which have better internals for better audio quality playback. You also have the long list of audio only streaming devices which are out there including a ton of AV receivers with integrated streaming apps and wireless connectivity to phones and network storage.

The list of options which cost under $1,000 is massive. There are even many options under $100. I certainly wouldn't expect Linn-like performance from the cheapest solutions, but I would expect that for 99% of those who would buy a Linn system, they may be hard pressed to tell the difference.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think most people care about Raspberry Pi options. Not that a lot don't use it and find it fun, I just think the average consumer isn't interested in figuring it all out. Especially if there are a ton of options, variations, etc. associated with it. But, it is one option, of many, which provides streaming audio services to the home and individual.

Also, you have all the devices which connect directly to your phone and allow audio streaming from a phone. You have phones which have better internals for better audio quality playback. You also have the long list of audio only streaming devices which are out there including a ton of AV receivers with integrated streaming apps and wireless connectivity to phones and network storage.

The list of options which cost under $1,000 is massive. There are even many options under $100. I certainly wouldn't expect Linn-like performance from the cheapest solutions, but I would expect that for 99% of those who would buy a Linn system, they may be hard pressed to tell the difference.
RPi has phone-based control interfaces too.

I think your most valid point is that most people just want a plug-and-play solution, which the RPi is NOT. That can easily be seen as an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on your viewpoint and your technical abilities.

I do want to be clear, the RPi options can absolutely be the best solutions and supply audio quality as good as any other option out there, including just as good as this $39k Linn device.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis