New Line up of AV Receivers from JBL

T

TankTop5

Audioholic Field Marshall
The MA9100 looks like a beast with 9 channels of class D amplification. States 140 watts at eight ohms and 240 W at four ohms, I wonder if that’s across all 9 channels? It also looks like it only has a single subwoofer output, but does come preloaded with Dirac. Really light on details so I guess everyone’s going to have to wait-and-see. If it truly does have only a single subwoofer output that’s a huge fail in today’s world, but I think a nine channel amplifier is enough for most people.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
The MA9100 looks like a beast with 9 channels of class D amplification. States 140 watts at eight ohms and 240 W at four ohms, I wonder if that’s across all 9 channels? It also looks like it only has a single subwoofer output, but does come preloaded with Dirac. Really light on details so I guess everyone’s going to have to wait-and-see. If it truly does have only a single subwoofer output that’s a huge fail in today’s world, but I think a nine channel amplifier is enough for most people.
There was some mention of 2 subs on a couple of postings I saw - but they may not be independent channels, and there is no talk of Dirac DLBC for it.

The range looks to be clearly focused on the mass market - leaving Arcam & JBL Synthesis for the higher end

with 9.1 you can set up 5.1.4 - which can be awesome... (or 7.1.2, which I find less interesting)

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
"EZ Set EQ" needs to be run from an app via Bluetooth....that's just primitive.
Guess they think if Dirac can do it, why not us.

D

doctors11

Enthusiast
Apparently only one set of speakers can be configured for height on the 9100... so it can do 7.1.2 but not 5.1.4... sadly.
On page 24, if I'm reading it right, the Rear Surround can be assigned to either Top Front or Top Mid. And the Height can be assigned to Top Front, Top Mid or Top Rear.
This would be for the 9100.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
"EZ Set EQ" needs to be run from an app via Bluetooth....that's just primitive.
Guess they think if Dirac can do it, why not us.
And then levels and distances are not set either when using EZ to EQ, as I understand from a quick scan of the manual. Lame, if so.

D

doctors11

Enthusiast
And then levels and distances are not set either when using EZ to EQ, as I understand from a quick scan of the manual. Lame, if so.
That's how I read it too. Similar to the new Sony ES models.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Pitiful manual for sure. But, as mentioned by @doctors11 , page 24 indicates that 5.1.4 configuration can be made with the MA9100HP as its Rear Surround and Height terminals are both assignable for different duty.
IMG_4866.jpeg

IMG_4868.jpeg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I hope JBL continue to explore and develop this market.

Currently Denon/Marantz are our go to guys for AVRs and AVPs. I think there are good and sound reasons for this.

However at this time I fear Sound United is at great risk of falling prey to a private equity buyout and subsequently trashed to junk status.

Harmon are a subsidiary of Samsung, and so presumably well capitalized. They have a large presence in professional audio, and so would be well placed to enter this arena as a major player.

This area is ripe for a rethink and radical change. The current practice is wasteful, suboptimal, not sustainable and sales figures confirm it. This arena could not be more ripe for innovation.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It's definitely a 2CH rating as it states in their specs. It claims 900 watts max power consumption so if it was truly 140x9 ACD, it would have to consume > 1400 watts (assuming 90% efficiency). It's probably closer to 80-90wpc x 9 ACD which is still pretty good.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
.... private equity buyout and subsequently trashed to junk status.

Isn't that what they do in the marketplace? Buy, rob retirement accounts, mount debt and run away?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Class G amps must be extremely small and light.

9CH of amps, but it’s only about 16 lbs and only 5” height. And the internal pic looks pretty empty/hollow.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Class G amps must be extremely small and light.

9CH of amps, but it’s only about 16 lbs and only 5” height. And the internal pic looks pretty empty/hollow.
This AVR has Class D amps, not Class G.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Meh. Might be okay but nothing particularly attractive compared to the competition....

T

TankTop5

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's definitely a 2CH rating as it states in their specs. It claims 900 watts max power consumption so if it was truly 140x9 ACD, it would have to consume > 1400 watts (assuming 90% efficiency). It's probably closer to 80-90wpc x 9 ACD which is still pretty good.
I worded that poorly, since there’s never a chance of running all 9 channels at max output in real life, can any two of the 9 channels run rated power? Are they 9 identical amplifiers? I definitely think this will need to be tested when it hits the shelves. Still disappointed with the subwoofer output though.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I agree they should be Harmon badged.
JBL AVR just doesn't sound right.
Certainly nothing special about the whole line...unless they test far beyond what's shown.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This AVR has Class D amps, not Class G.
Oh, right. I was looking at their $8K SDR-35 AVR, which is class-G, and I assumed their 9100-AVR was also class-G. So their class D and G must be very small and light.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis