New JVC DLA-NX5 Projector

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Man! If I had $6,000 to drop, I would expect greatness. JVC has been working 4K for a while now and their deliverance continues to deliver.

The drop in price is just an indication of what we should expect to see as 1080p falls to the wayside and eShift is frowned upon more and more. I expect that dealer cost may be $4,000 or so, and that it may be possible to work deals of $4,500 or so on the grey market for this model. But, we are still a few years out looking for this to get to the $3,000 price point. Probably will be seeing 8K coming to the market by the time native 4K is hitting better price points.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Please ELI5 - why the heck it took SOOOO long to come out with native 4k projectors for JVC. Sony did, what, like a few years ago, didn't they? Technical reasons or milking e-shift?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Please ELI5 - why the heck it took SOOOO long to come out with native 4k projectors for JVC. Sony did, what, like a few years ago, didn't they? Technical reasons or milking e-shift?
The reviews seemed pretty consistent with JVC e-shift vs Sony 4K - Sony wins 4K clarity but JVC won color and contrast in everything I've read!

Although I'm shopping the pro models, the only difference between the RS1000 and RS2000 is double the contrast ratio. Since most of the time I watch the sun is up, I am doubting that I would even notice the improved blacks.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
There are some color enhancements on the 2000 as well.

I should be getting one to review. JVC easily had the best image quality at the show. IMHO, of course. :)

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I'm a big JVC fan. Im still using an RS1 that I bought back in 2007. It's image is so film like I have had zero desire to replace it. If and when I do tho, theres a very good chance it'll be another JVC.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
JVC has had native 4K for a while now. It just hasn't been anywhere near this price point. I think they were milking the eShift as long as they could and putting a serious premium on their native 4K which was something like $25,000. So, DLP is kicking the heck out of the 4K market with their sub $2,000 models. It makes JVC a question mark for buyers.

Right now, I think I could get the RS440 for about $2,500 which is what I would consider the best deal in the world at this time, but it's still not 'native' 4K. I didn't hear if they will put out a RS450 or 460 to upgrade the 440. I'm not even sure if the 440 will be continued into 2019. It would be phenomenal if they would put the MSRP of the 440 down to $2,999 and run it up against the rest of the $3,000 and under market. There is no way I'm recommending a Epson 5040 over the RS440 if the price difference is a few hundred dollars or so. Not even at $1,000. The JVC is just that much better overall.

But, these new models are exciting and hopefully I will have some idea of my cost in the next couple of months.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I still don’t see any professional reviews about the JVC NX5/RS1000 (like from projectorreviews.com).

Why is it taking so long?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I still don’t see any professional reviews about the JVC NX5/RS1000 (like from projectorreviews.com).

Why is it taking so long?
JVC, I believe, is having some production issues. I think they have had a couple of shipments come in, but then they have been getting feedback and making adjustments to their production runs.

I feel VERY strongly that JVC should have keep the RS440 and dropped it to $3,000 to compete with the Epson 5050, then had the 790, and the RS1000/2000/3000 out there as their higher end products.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
JVC was supposed to keep the 440 and 540 (according to the JVC rep I spoke to at CEDIA) but they have been *very* difficult to get and *if* the company is still making them it's in very short production runs.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
I'm grateful to have snapped up a 540 (790) when the price dropped last fall. I was thinking about holding out for the new models but I'm glad I didn't.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was reading this foreign review about the NX5 translated with Google. The reviewer owns the NX9 in his house.

But in his conclusion, the translation goes, "Do not like to say this, but HDR movies look more or less the same as my own NX9, but also have not checked this deep with side by side test."

I think that says a lot - comparing NX5 vs NX9.

As far as US pro reviews, I've seen one for NX7 (Home Theater Review) and one for NX9 (Sound and Vision). But still nothing for NX5.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis