New in Box Receiver on Ebay

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I've never purchased from ebay b/c I'm a little nervous to, but am curious. If a receiver is new in box never opened with a waranty card wouldn't it still have the manufacturers original warrany? I mean, if its unopened it had to come from somehwere authorized at some time or another, or am I just way off base and it still won't have a warrany.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

To recieve service under warranty you must provide a receipt from an authorized dealer. Most ebay sellers are not authorized sellers therefore you would not be able to use the factory warranty. To remedy this most sellers offer their own warranty. Another way to look at it is that the money you save now will often cover the repair expense if needed.

I bought my receiver on ebay about 18 months ago and it still works great!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Right. You need the receipt for warranty work. Otherwise, we could be purchasing HK7300's for $1300, transporting and selling them in Canada for $1600, which is still $700 less than they get them for. The issue is HK doesn't honor US bought merchandise in Canada. But who's to say you didn't buy the unit while living in Michigan, move to Canada, have it break, then ship it to a US service site? It's just a hassle with shipping charges.

You always run a risk with Ebay. You must check out the seller ratings, and carefully search for the negatives. Buying expensive gear on ebay should include shipping insurance (it's less than $5), and some type of warranty (either extended or a short term guarantee). The site should also have a phone number that you can verify someone answers before placing a bid. Most sites have horrible customer service and turn around time. If something does happen to your unit upon arrival, you don't want a site that cannot take your call. Be careful with ebay. Harman Kardon Direct is one of the few ebay stores I trust for A/V.

9f9c7z

Banned
Spiffyfast said:
... If a receiver is new in box never opened with a waranty card wouldn't it still have the manufacturers original warrany? ...
Your question is not simple or easy to answer. In a nutshell, it is unlikely a manf can legally limit warranty coverage based on where the equipment was purchased. In reality, they do. Laws also vary by state, so check with your state’s office of consumer affairs (or whatever it’s called). It should be a division of the state’s attorney general’s office.

Also, check with your MasterCard or Visa provider. They often give you extended warranty coverage on stuff you buy. It can be as short at 90-days or as long as 2-years. Most of the time you need to pay for your Ebay purchase thru PayPal to be able to use your credit card to get that free credit card warranty coverage.

I think the whole idea of consumers needing to purchase from authorized retailers is suicide for the audio/ht manfs wanting to maintain the aura of exclusivity for their product lines. It’s just a matter of time before they catch the attn of a state’s atty general, or the legislature, or a consumer group looking for a headline. What comes down as a result of one manf is going to affect all manfs. In addition, that warranty policy thing is growing a never-ending pool of consumers with nothing to lose, i.e. why not sue the manf? There is nothing worse than being challenged in an adversarial venue by someone that perceives nothing to lose.

I spent time (and money) with an atty going over the warranty issue, and the illegal, backdoor price-fixing schemes some audio manfs engage in. As I have said before, the audio/ht industry is ripe for lawsuits they may not prevail in. Nor is it logical from a business perspective.

To give you some idea of how illogical their business model is, just your filing of a lawsuit for warranty coverage will cost the manf MORE to ‘answer’, the response they are required to file with the court in response to your lawsuit, than the cost of doing any warranty repairs. In all likelihood, just the retainer for their atty alone is going to exceed the cost for the manf to just replace the equipment with a band new piece. And they run the risk of you using the phrase ‘class action’ somewhere along the way. When that happens, it gets real expensive, real fast, and the manf no longer has the opportunity to settle with just you.

Good News: compare the legal fees of the manf to those of the consumer…zero! For anyone that wants to put the time into it, you can probably file the lawsuit yourself. You will need to pay filing fees, and maybe service fees, but that’s it. Most public libraries have an index of corporations and their officers. There is also someone appointed to act as the receiver of legal document for the corporation, for like, say…I don’t know, maybe something like your lawsuit papers! The same info is sometimes online with each state’s Secretary of State, Office of Corporations website. Also see the DIY-lawsuit books published by Nolo press, a bunch of atty’s that believe their services should not be necessary or required for basic lawsuit stuff.

Note: any retailers that participate in these schemes are (and should be) potential targets for lawsuits as well. However, you may be dealing with a manf and/or retailer that is a small business and they don’t realize the possible inappropriateness of their actions. In that case, it may require nothing more than ‘education’ to fix your warranty issue/price-fixing problem and a lawsuit won’t be necessary.

Encouragement: the limiting of warranties is spread beyond the audio/ht market into other areas of electronics. Recently, a major manf of electronics stuff (not audio/ht) admitted that despite their printed claim of no warranty for product purchased on Ebay or from unauthorized dealers, they were indeed honoring all warranties regardless of where their products were purchased.

There are some retailers and manfs of audio/ht equipment on this forum. I’d love to see them weigh in on this question, and in particular, I’d like to see their response to the suggestion the audio/ht industry is vulnerable in their practice of limiting warranty coverage and/or fixing the prices of audio/ht equipment.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
my hk had a small problem with the outlet and i didnt buy it from an authorized dealer so technically it wasnt under warranty. but, after emailing hk and showing a receipt for date of purchase they said they would put it under warranty anyway.

pretty nice guys.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
9f9,

Were you successful in your legal pursuit? Sounds like a mfg. really pi$$ed you off. Can you elaborate?

I think it's approximately $85-$120 to file a small claims suit (anything under $2000 - may be higher now).

Great suggestion about the visa/mastercard doubling of the warranty. I always use my platinum mc for purchases, which doubles the warranty. I had a claim on a 27" tv set, and visa actually got the mfg. to buy me a new set! They will work harder than we will to make sure the mfg. pays up, otherwise it's their issue. Even if your product is under warranty, call your cc customer svd. department.

J

jimmit

Junior Audioholic
9f9c7z said:
I think the whole idea of consumers needing to purchase from authorized retailers is suicide for the audio/ht manfs wanting to maintain the aura of exclusivity for their product lines. It’s just a matter of time before they catch the attn of a state’s atty general, or the legislature, or a consumer group looking for a headline. What comes down as a result of one manf is going to affect all manfs. In addition, that warranty policy thing is growing a never-ending pool of consumers with nothing to lose, i.e. why not sue the manf? There is nothing worse than being challenged in an adversarial venue by someone that perceives nothing to lose.
I'm curious -- how is the audio industry distribution model any different than that of the automobile industry model. The Ford Motor Company has a controlled network of authorized dealers just like, say Denon. In fact they are even more controlled. I'm guessing it would be extremely difficult to purchase a brand new Ford from anyone other than a Ford dealership. If you did happen to obtain a "grey market" Ford, I suspect Ford might refuse to honor the warranty. I don't see State Attorneys General going after the automobile manufacturers or dealerships. And I don't see a lot of consumers suing automobile manufacturers for they way they control the distribution of their products.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
jimmit said:
I'm curious -- how is the audio industry distribution model any different than that of the automobile industry model. The Ford Motor Company has a controlled network of authorized dealers just like, say Denon. In fact they are even more controlled. I'm guessing it would be extremely difficult to purchase a brand new Ford from anyone other than a Ford dealership. If you did happen to obtain a "grey market" Ford, I suspect Ford might refuse to honor the warranty. I don't see State Attorneys General going after the automobile manufacturers or dealerships. And I don't see a lot of consumers suing automobile manufacturers for they way they control the distribution of their products.
actually with most newer cars if they still have the factory warrany it can be transfered to another buyer, they just have the same limitations its not extended for another 50,000 miles for example

9f9c7z

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Were you successful in your legal pursuit? Sounds like a mfg. really pi$$ed you off. Can you elaborate?

I think it's approximately $85-$120 to file a small claims suit (anything under $2000 - may be higher now).
No, no problems with any manf. Only SVS but I never completed that purchase. The price-fixing and warranty thing has turned into a pet peeve of mine. When I started to shop for ht goodies I immediately noticed the price-fixing, which I knew was illegal (both fed and state). Then when I started reading the manf notices about warranty restrictions I decided it had to be wrong too but I wasn’t sure how. That’s why I went to an atty before I started buying my ht toys. Btw, finding an atty that is versed in warranty issues other than Lemon-Law (cars) is very difficult. From that atty I also learned about something called an ‘adhesion contract’.

An adhesion contract is a contract you enter into but had no way of negotiating the terms of. How the heck does that apply to audio/ht goodies? Well, every purchase is a contract. You agree to give the seller your money, and the seller agrees to give you an item in return. A lot of fed laws and FTC rules are based on the principle that all purchases are contracts. As long as manfs restrict warranties to specific retailers that have agreed to sell that manf’s product at ‘approved pricing’, you can never negotiate a better price for a piece of ht equipment w/warranty. So even if a manf could legally control the retail distribution of their product, they are still vulnerable to a lawsuit based on a claim of an adhesion contract. I would not hesitate to go down this road with two defendants; a manfr and a retailer.

I decided I couldn’t live without a Denon 3910, A-stock, w/warranty. It didn’t take long before Denon/D&M Holdings became a target of my frustration. Yes, I am DIY for lawsuits. No, I have never lost, but then I would never take on something that wasn’t absolutely sure about, either. California courts have no compassion for someone that brings a frivolous lawsuit, so I wouldn’t want to go there. Before I got too deep in my research, I stumbled onto something that dropped the skids on my pursuit of Denon.

I discovered some audio retailers have two divisions, one for consumer electronics, and one for pro audio. The consumer side is likely to be firmly entrenched as a player in the price-fixing scheme. However, the pro-audio side will wheel-n-deal on anything, even products from the consumer division. I bought a brand new Denon 3910, A-stock, with warranty for $1080, delivered to my door, from an authorized Denon retailer. That was less than purchasing A-stock thru an unauthorized dealer. MSRP is $1499. I presume the reseller isn’t taking a loss on selling me this single item, so the $419+ difference (don’t know what shipping cost the seller) gives you some idea of the markup/gravy on this Denon product. As a result, I didn’t need to pursue Denon, so I didn’t.

Also be aware that some chain stores cross territories for product distribution. So some stores of a chain may be in a territory that makes them an authorized dealer, while other stores may not. Sometimes the unauthorized link in the chain is happy to sell you product at a deep discount and have it shipped in from one of their authorized sister-stores. What you get is A-stock from an authorized dealer at a deep discount. If you are in the market for Krell product, don’t overlook this possibility.

California law does not allow for the removal or voiding of a product’s warranty by the manfr or anyone else. Furthermore, regardless of the absence of any expressed warranty (written), California law requires an implied warranty (unwritten) accompany all product. If Denon, or any other manf wants to play the ‘authorized dealer’ game, they have a problem in California. They would need to be shipping product only to authorized dealers, ‘les they create unreasonable confusion amongst buyers. And since authorized dealers are the ones supplying product to unauthorized dealers, the warranty is in place, and stays in place from that point on, as long as the product is being bought and sold as new.

Laws in each state differ. Anyone interested should check the laws in their state. Your state’s Atty General’s office is a good place to start.

I never got as far at fully researching the Magnuson-Moss Act (fed code, Title 15, Chapter 50). My initial conversation with the consumer help line at the FTC is that they interrupt the ‘authorized dealer’ clause in a warranty as a violation of the prohibition on ‘tie-in sales’ unless the manf could “demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC” how sales of their product thru unauthorized dealers causes their product to somehow become non-functional. I presume lawyerly-types drafted the warranties so they would have known better, IF it is as the FTC suggested, but you can never be sure. I’m not a lawyer, I haven’t studied this part yet, so I don’t know. Also, the info I got from the FTC was verbal and everyone should know not to relay on anything verbal from the gov’t.

Fwiw, the FTC wants to receive complaints on the issue of limiting warranty coverage based on sales locations. Contact info for the FTC is at the bottom of this info on the Magnuson-Mass Act:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
wow, great information 9f9c7z, Im going to have to contact my states attorney general's office now, to find out what the deal is here in Missouri. Really the odds are that if I bought from an unauthorized dealer something brand new it'd work fine with no problems i'd just like the insurance of a warranty just in case something went wrong

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis