Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
without knowing exact model #s it seems ok, have you tried this
Concur, looks good.

Don't use Everest for torture testing use Prime.
[/URL].
Concur, Prime and HotCPUTester, defly better than Everest for torture testing.

I would not try this as most of the X3's are X3's because one of the cores had an issue in manufacturing.
Concur, it can be done but with disasterous results. Do you like your BSODs shaken or stirred?

My old video card ATI Radeon X800 GTO2 original had 12 pipelines, X850 XT had 16 pipes and higher clock. With easy bios mod I was able to achieve latter specs on my GTO2 card, which was at the time of purchase $80-100 cheaper.
GPUs are not binned the same way CPUs are. The resources Intel and AMD throw into binning CPUs would cost ATI (prior to AMD's aquisition) and nVidia greatly. Especially since neither chipset company manufacturers their own chips (prior to blah blah) and relies on external fab plants to manufacture them. GPUs are simply firmware writes that block access to functions in the chipset. More features = higher pricetag.

Very few successful X3-X4 attempts out there that passed torture testing. I'm sure for the casual user it would be fine, but if someone is a casual user, what's even the point of unlocking the 4th core? Basic apps aren't SMP-aware anyway. Then there's the multi-tasking discussion. :)

Last edited:
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Not necessarily... it's just easier and cheaper to make everything x4 and disable 1 core, just to make a right quotas, plus "failed" core, doesn't necessarily means it'll fail under regular typical load.

My old video card ATI Radeon X800 GTO2 original had 12 pipelines, X850 XT had 16 pipes and higher clock. With easy bios mod I was able to achieve latter specs on my GTO2 card, which was at the time of purchase $80-100 cheaper.

To unlock 4th Core all it takes is to change one bios setting - I say do it, run Prime on it for at least 8 hours - if it doesn't fail it - then why not keep it at x4 ???
Opening pipes is basically closing the circuits of the traces on the GPU. Much different than trying to enable a core that could, or could not be a bad core from the factory. Again this is not always the case and the core could be fine. If you are ok with the possibility of bricking the chip and maybe some other components as well then have fun (I'm not being sarcastic I actually used to do tons of hard modding).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
is your gpu fan plugged into the board?
No. And that makes sense how it would not show on Everest.

...But my previous card - Radeon 4850's fan was not plugged into the board either, but somehow Everest showed the fan speed on that card.:confused:

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
No. And that makes sense how it would not show on Everest.

...But my previous card - Radeon 4850's fan was not plugged into the board either, but somehow Everest showed the fan speed on that card.:confused:
does it show in the the CPUID hardware monitor?

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Wrote a long mess and decided to just shorten it up.

Fan speed monitoring:

Fans come in 2-wire, 3-wire, and 4-wire flavors. 2-wire can run at simply whatever input voltage the power wire is receiving. 3-wire can be modded so you can run at different voltages by swapping wire positions. 4-wire can control the fan speed like a rheostat basically.

Check if your card now has a 2-wire fan. If so, that's why you can't see what speed the fan is running at. It doesn't have the 3rd wire, yellow, necessary for speed monitoring. Your old card has it.

If it is a 3-wire design, Everest may need an update or your Radeon driver may need an update. If not, yo shiz is fubar.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wrote a long mess and decided to just shorten it up.

Fan speed monitoring:

Fans come in 2-wire, 3-wire, and 4-wire flavors. 2-wire can run at simply whatever input voltage the power wire is receiving. 3-wire can be modded so you can run at different voltages by swapping wire positions. 4-wire can control the fan speed like a rheostat basically.

Check if your card now has a 2-wire fan. If so, that's why you can't see what speed the fan is running at. It doesn't have the 3rd wire, yellow, necessary for speed monitoring. Your old card has it.

If it is a 3-wire design, Everest may need an update or your Radeon driver may need an update. If not, yo shiz is fubar.
Thanks for the awesome explanation.:D

But "Heroes" still SUCK.:eek::D

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Think your GPU heatsink keeps your GPU cooler than mine?

Think again!!!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Update: 4 hd drives are not going to cut it in This m-atx:( Picked up a SS boot drive 60g Toshiba, and threw a 1tb Hitachi into the system and loaded 7/64U, nothing else. Below in re encode divx to mpeg2

3 fans, 1 to the mobo.

gonna order parts for separate server build this weekend:D and 1 media unit.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Just got the the parts yesterday smart guy:rolleyes:
I've build 3 gaming rigs from the ground up since this post's inception (or is in conception :)). I guess I am an "Expert" though. :)

Just put this one together last night for my buddy. Certainly not for me....the blaring lights aren't my style.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I've build 3 gaming rigs from the ground up since this post's inception (or is in conception :)). I guess I am an "Expert" though. :)

Just put this one together last night for my buddy. Certainly not for me....the blaring lights aren't my style.

is it ok to PM you in case of questions this week? thanks scott

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis