New house. Extra room. Home theater, wife approved!

K

KurantAK

Audioholic Intern
Long story short, wife and I bought a house about 6 years ago. Built in 1978, needed work, and it's now newly renovated and we've decided instead of flipping it in todays crazy market, we didn't go "less expensive" on anything and we've decided to live in it.

The basement was finished previously, sheet rocked, concrete floor.. we put radiant heat in the floor, and there is a room that is 18x12 that has no closet. But it's finished, and the wife approved me putting in a theater. The electrical is going to be done sometime the end of next month, it has brand new carpet, and the best part is 3 walls are about 5 1/2 feet below grade. It has 2 small windows both on the short walls of the room.

I live in Alaska, we don't have any resources here for home theater anymore. Yes, not a single small mom and pops audio store, that's right. We have Magnolia at Best Buy, and that is literally it. Really no consultation available whatsoever.

I have about $3500-$4000 to spend on speakers/source. I was thinking Denon for source, and I do have access to Klipsch speakers - with no shipping costs.

Reference R625-FA front left/right.
Reference R41-SA Atmos addons
Reference 52C Center channel
R120SW Sub
Reference R-51M rear left/right

Sub, is up for debate, I planned on maybe using an SVS sub instead.

I assume I need 9.2 if I use surrounds? Is that even necessary?

Any advice is appreciated!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Long story short, wife and I bought a house about 6 years ago. Built in 1978, needed work, and it's now newly renovated and we've decided instead of flipping it in todays crazy market, we didn't go "less expensive" on anything and we've decided to live in it.

The basement was finished previously, sheet rocked, concrete floor.. we put radiant heat in the floor, and there is a room that is 18x12 that has no closet. But it's finished, and the wife approved me putting in a theater. The electrical is going to be done sometime the end of next month, it has brand new carpet, and the best part is 3 walls are about 5 1/2 feet below grade. It has 2 small windows both on the short walls of the room.

I live in Alaska, we don't have any resources here for home theater anymore. Yes, not a single small mom and pops audio store, that's right. We have Magnolia at Best Buy, and that is literally it. Really no consultation available whatsoever.

I have about $3500-$4000 to spend on speakers/source. I was thinking Denon for source, and I do have access to Klipsch speakers - with no shipping costs.

Reference R625-FA front left/right.
Reference R41-SA Atmos addons
Reference 52C Center channel
R120SW Sub
Reference R-51M rear left/right

Sub, is up for debate, I planned on maybe using an SVS sub instead.

I assume I need 9.2 if I use surrounds? Is that even necessary?

Any advice is appreciated!
I’m not sure if upfiring atmos works well wait on more forum input , some rooms it’s fine .
It would be 7:1:2 if you use atmos .
Klipch should be fine , unless you find premium models online for similar price .
If you go svs get a ported a one . Hsu another option cheaper if you go over 2000 line.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Congrats! Good stuff!

Put considerable effort into your center channel & sub(s). If this is for theater, that's where most of your excitement and fun will come from. Don't fall into the upfiring atmos trap with your budget. You can mount small speakers on your ceiling and aim them at the listening position(s), if you can't do in-ceiling speakers (understandable).

If you're doing Center, L & R, and rears, that's 5 and the 0.1 is the sub (5.1). If you're adding a second pair of surrounds (such as sides, or heights) then that's another 2 channels (7.1). If you ad another sub, that's 0.2, so 5.2 or 7.2 channel. If you add a single pair of atmos, it's another 0.0.2, so your 5.1 becomes 5.1.2 or your 7.1 becomes 7.1.2. In general, only two atmos speakers don't seem to be really worth it compared to 2 pairs, or 4 speakers, to really get the directionality and immersion effect. So that would be 0.0.4 added to what you have. So 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 for example. Things get expensive fast when you try to get into 9 and 11 channel surround on a budget. And all that surround doesn't make an impact the way your center channel & sub(s) do. So keep that in mind.

As for what's necessary, well, that's up to you. Some are fine with a typical 5.1 setup. I would suggest you shoot for 5.2 as a base system and then build on that over time to become 5.2.4 or 7.2.4. But without up-firing versions for the atmos stuff. Take your time on thoughtfully planning atmos if you want a good result.

I would go larger on your sub(s) and if you can double it up, even better. Check out HSU Research subs over SVS.

18x12 is a good space, but its not a large room, so you don't need huge speakers to fill this nor hit listening levels.

The Denon X3700H would be a great source to build from, capable of doing 7.2.4 with an additional amp.

For Klipsch on a budget, I would look at the RP-600C or RP-404C or RP-504C for your center. Again, most of what's going on in a movie, no matter the genre, is coming from this speaker with surround format audio. So unless you're building strictly stereo or 2 channel, put a lot of effort into a good center with a lot of range and capability as this is primarily where the dialog and effects that are not "surround" panned are going to come from. Hugely important. It always gets down played when building a home theater and it doesn't help that all the "sets" of speakers out there always seem to feature a smaller horizontal center channel which is the opposite of what it should be.

On this note, you don't have to use a center channel, you can use a typical vertical speaker as a center. Explore this option too if you can have a good bookshelf or tower as a vertical center. This can be better than a small horizontal center. Just depends on how your TV/Screen is setup basically if you can have a big center vertical channel.

Save your money and don't get the R625's with the up-firing atmos stuff. Just get a good pair of mains. The mains are important, critical for stereo/2channel, but slightly less as important as the center channel in theater. So put a lot of effort into your left & right. Instead of the R625's. Maybe look at the R-620F's and keep it simple. Again, your space is not huge, you don't need monstrous speakers and towers are more efficient than bookshelves so they will fill your space with sound efficiently. You could look at the RP-6000F's too if you want slightly better.

The R-51M's will handle your surrounds, so you could get 1 or 2 pairs depending on if you're doing a 5 channel or 7 channel setup.

That's the $3k ballpark already.

The rest should go to your subs. Skip atmos for now. Add atmos later after you research your options more.

For the sub, look at a HSU VTF-3 Mark 5.

Very best,

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, it's nice to see a thread with no WAF constraints! That's a rarity!

K

KurantAK

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

Congrats! Good stuff!

Put considerable effort into your center channel & sub(s). If this is for theater, that's where most of your excitement and fun will come from. Don't fall into the upfiring atmos trap with your budget. You can mount small speakers on your ceiling and aim them at the listening position(s), if you can't do in-ceiling speakers (understandable).

If you're doing Center, L & R, and rears, that's 5 and the 0.1 is the sub (5.1). If you're adding a second pair of surrounds (such as sides, or heights) then that's another 2 channels (7.1). If you ad another sub, that's 0.2, so 5.2 or 7.2 channel. If you add a single pair of atmos, it's another 0.0.2, so your 5.1 becomes 5.1.2 or your 7.1 becomes 7.1.2. In general, only two atmos speakers don't seem to be really worth it compared to 2 pairs, or 4 speakers, to really get the directionality and immersion effect. So that would be 0.0.4 added to what you have. So 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 for example. Things get expensive fast when you try to get into 9 and 11 channel surround on a budget. And all that surround doesn't make an impact the way your center channel & sub(s) do. So keep that in mind.

As for what's necessary, well, that's up to you. Some are fine with a typical 5.1 setup. I would suggest you shoot for 5.2 as a base system and then build on that over time to become 5.2.4 or 7.2.4. But without up-firing versions for the atmos stuff. Take your time on thoughtfully planning atmos if you want a good result.

I would go larger on your sub(s) and if you can double it up, even better. Check out HSU Research subs over SVS.

18x12 is a good space, but its not a large room, so you don't need huge speakers to fill this nor hit listening levels.

The Denon X3700H would be a great source to build from, capable of doing 7.2.4 with an additional amp.

For Klipsch on a budget, I would look at the RP-600C or RP-404C or RP-504C for your center. Again, most of what's going on in a movie, no matter the genre, is coming from this speaker with surround format audio. So unless you're building strictly stereo or 2 channel, put a lot of effort into a good center with a lot of range and capability as this is primarily where the dialog and effects that are not "surround" panned are going to come from. Hugely important. It always gets down played when building a home theater and it doesn't help that all the "sets" of speakers out there always seem to feature a smaller horizontal center channel which is the opposite of what it should be.

On this note, you don't have to use a center channel, you can use a typical vertical speaker as a center. Explore this option too if you can have a good bookshelf or tower as a vertical center. This can be better than a small horizontal center. Just depends on how your TV/Screen is setup basically if you can have a big center vertical channel.

Save your money and don't get the R625's with the up-firing atmos stuff. Just get a good pair of mains. The mains are important, critical for stereo/2channel, but slightly less as important as the center channel in theater. So put a lot of effort into your left & right. Instead of the R625's. Maybe look at the R-620F's and keep it simple. Again, your space is not huge, you don't need monstrous speakers and towers are more efficient than bookshelves so they will fill your space with sound efficiently. You could look at the RP-6000F's too if you want slightly better.

The R-51M's will handle your surrounds, so you could get 1 or 2 pairs depending on if you're doing a 5 channel or 7 channel setup.

That's the $3k ballpark already.

The rest should go to your subs. Skip atmos for now. Add atmos later after you research your options more.

For the sub, look at a HSU VTF-3 Mark 5.

Very best,
This is great feedback.

I purchased the Denon AVR-X3700H on Friday at Best Buy.

I also purchased the Klipsch RP-404C, Klipsch RP-280F, and the R-51M's.

Also purchased an an EPSON 5050 projector - I was planning on an 85" LED, but I think the projector was a better choice, and actually cost less than the TV I was planning on.

Sub is weird spot. HSU is out. Monolith is out. HSU wanted $374 to ship a single sub to Alaska. I didn't even bother checking out Monolith after that. I'm basically stuck between Polk/Klipsch and SVS. I would like 2 subs, The SVS PB 1000 Pro (There is 1 available.) and SB 1000 Pro (He has a few for sale) are both available locally. I also have access to pretty much any Klipsch sub. Costco has the Klipsch R-120SW on sale with shipping for $460 for 2 of them. I don't think that price can be touched by anything..

Crutchfield offers free shipping.. Except on Subs. Figures. Lol.

K

KurantAK

Audioholic Intern
Man, it's nice to see a thread with no WAF constraints! That's a rarity!
It was on odd exchange..

Wife: I want that for a workout room. Treadmill etc..
Me: It's a perfect home theater room.
Wife: Hmm.. That's good with me. Can move the workout room to the smaller room.

You ask no more questions at that point and start buying equipment.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Heya,

Those R-120SW subs are $250 for a reason, and $460 for two, again for a reason. Low output. They're cheap and go "boom boom" so it depends on what you are looking to get out of the room. I would suggest you wait on subs, save, get better subs so you're not trying to re-buy later. The SVS PB-1000 Pro is a pretty solid sub and two of them will handle your room. I realize the cost difference, but if you could get two SVS PB-1000 Pros I would do this over the cheaper Klipsch subs. You get what you pay for. I would skip on the Polk subs, all of them. And with those Klipsch subs, the entry ones, maybe skip the lowest end and move towards an entry 15 like the R-115SW and add a second one when you can.

Very best,

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Heya,

Those R-120SW subs are $250 for a reason, and $460 for two, again for a reason. Low output. They're cheap and go "boom boom" so it depends on what you are looking to get out of the room. I would suggest you wait on subs, save, get better subs so you're not trying to re-buy later. The SVS 1000 Pro is a pretty solid sub and two of them will handle your room. I realize the cost difference, but if you could get two SVS PB-1000 Pros I would do this over the cheaper Klipsch subs. You get what you pay for.

Very best,
I really, really agree with this. Your front 3 speakers and subwoofers are really where the bulk of your budget needs to go. I'd recommend at minimum a pair of PB1000 Pros or maybe a pair of Hsu VTF-2 MK5s. Either of those should give you sufficient output in that room, but something even bigger would really rock that room.

K

KurantAK

Audioholic Intern
I really, really agree with this. Your front 3 speakers and subwoofers are really where the bulk of your budget needs to go. I'd recommend at minimum a pair of PB1000 Pros or maybe a pair of Hsu VTF-2 MK5s. Either of those should give you sufficient output in that room, but something even bigger would really rock that room.

HSU really isn't an option.

At almost $400 to ship a single one, it isn't worth it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
HSU really isn't an option.

At almost $400 to ship a single one, it isn't worth it.
Ouch. Didn't realize you had the whole country of Canada between us and you, lol. Yeah, that would definitely, understandably take Hsu off the table. What all is available for you up there? Any Best Buys or anything?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You can do so much better than Klipsch, across the board, if you have access.
SVS Subs would be the way to go if options are tight. Quality and performance will beat anything a Sub from the Big K can do.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You can do so much better than Klipsch, across the board, if you have access.
SVS Subs would be the way to go if options are tight. Quality and performance will beat anything a Sub from the Big K can do.
Does Paradigm make a couple of decent models too? Another option to consider, if shipping doesn't kill you, would be a pair of RSL Speedwoofers.

(Out of stock til April 9th, but expecting more)

They fall just shy of Audioholics' large room rating. Very good performers for small-ish subs.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is Alaska considered conus? Technically it is, but there's a whole country in between...

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Is Alaska considered conus? Technically it is, but there's a whole country in between...
No, most places don't consider it as part of conus when it comes to shipping.

edit: CONUS usually means contiguous US (excludes Alaska and Hawaii), not continental US (excludes Hawaii).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Does Paradigm make a couple of decent models too? Another option to consider, if shipping doesn't kill you, would be a pair of RSL Speedwoofers.

(Out of stock til April 9th, but expecting more)

They fall just shy of Audioholics' large room rating. Very good performers for small-ish subs.

It's just the speedwoofer drops off so early and doesn't really offer much low bass output. When I think of a small sub that would be great for a music-only system, I think of that little guy. But for HT in anything but a studio apartment? ;) I'd shop elsewhere, first.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This is great feedback.

I purchased the Denon AVR-X3700H on Friday at Best Buy.

I also purchased the Klipsch RP-404C, Klipsch RP-280F, and the R-51M's.

Also purchased an an EPSON 5050 projector - I was planning on an 85" LED, but I think the projector was a better choice, and actually cost less than the TV I was planning on.

Sub is weird spot. HSU is out. Monolith is out. HSU wanted $374 to ship a single sub to Alaska. I didn't even bother checking out Monolith after that. I'm basically stuck between Polk/Klipsch and SVS. I would like 2 subs, The SVS PB 1000 Pro (There is 1 available.) and SB 1000 Pro (He has a few for sale) are both available locally. I also have access to pretty much any Klipsch sub. Costco has the Klipsch R-120SW on sale with shipping for $460 for 2 of them. I don't think that price can be touched by anything..

Crutchfield offers free shipping.. Except on Subs. Figures. Lol.
Pick up that PB-1000 Pro right now. Do not wait to get it.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm with everyone in saying forget the Klipsch subs.

And I'm with Shady (and anyone else who said this), grab that PB-1000 pro right now. Get a second one when you find it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis