New home with outdoor built in speakers - how to connect to them

N

nickg2100

Audiophyte
Hey guys

first time post here

a couple of years we bought a house and in the entertainment area out the back we have speakers built into the eaves. The speakers look to be wired up. However we are not sure how to connect to them.

we have a few random plugs in the house. the two attached are what we believe we would need to connect something to in order to connect to the speakers but we are unsure what kind of plugs they are? what we connect to them? and how? They look to be older style plugs, i took one plate off the wall and it has TRS-6L on them. one plate also have a 4 core wires coming out of it

anyone able to help with what we can do here? I was hoping not to have to re-wire anything and if possible just plug in a reciever to connect to
received_296336252943971.jpeg
received_1496651604431612.jpeg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
How difficult would it be to drop one speaker from the eaves to check the wiring? If you can see the type of wire at the speaker, then you know what to look for at the other end in the house. The gold threaded connectors are for coaxial cable which usually caries either a video signal for TVs or could be used for cable internet. Depends on what services are available in your area. You can look where the lines come into the house (usually the utility room) and see if there is any equipment there or if the cable runs all start there.

For the 4 pieces of wire in your photo, there is an easy way to test if they are speaker connections. Strip the ends to expose some wire and use a 1.5V or old 9V battery and briefly brush 2 of the wires over the battery terminals while your spouse is outside under the eave speakers. Have your spouse listen for any crackling coming from the speakers while you try each combination of wires. If you get sound from one pair, twist them together for future reference. You can then connect a receiver to the pairs you have identified. I would also take the precaution if using a multimeter on the ohms setting and measuring the resistance on each pair of wires. It should be around 8 ohms. Anything less than 4 ohms or greater than 16 ohms will be an issue.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The gold jacks on the wall are F connectors. Typically these are used for cable television or possibly DirecTV connections. Especially since there are two at each location. I expect if you pull the plate off you will find that there is cable with RG6 written on the cable connected to them. If you Google for F connectors, you will see the connections on the back side as well.

The 4 wires coming out of the wall are far more interesting as those are far more likely to be the wires for the speakers that are in your ceiling. Typical wiring would be red/white/green/black, but blue for green isn't uncommon. Red (+) /Black (-) would be one speaker. White (+) /Blue (-) would be the other speaker. You should take a speaker off the ceiling to confirm not only that this is how it is wired, but the make and model of the speaker that is in the ceiling.

You can hook up any amplified stereo source to the wires. I'm not sure where you're located, as it looks like a European plate vs. a USA plate on the wall, but just having random wiring sticking out of the wall kinda sucks. Nothing is labeled or anything. I would typically come in and add a new plate with 4 binding post connections on it, and label it for left speaker/right speaker with the proper positive/negative colors of red and black.

A typical source for something like those speakers might be something like a Sonos Amp or even an old AV receiver bought online for $40 if you can find one and just plug it into the wires on the wall. You will have to extend those wires, which is fine to do with wire nuts to test things out. You can pick up a bit of speaker cable online easily enough or at your local hardware store typically.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The gold jacks on the wall are F connectors. Typically these are used for cable television or possibly DirecTV connections. Especially since there are two at each location. I expect if you pull the plate off you will find that there is cable with RG6 written on the cable connected to them. If you Google for F connectors, you will see the connections on the back side as well.

The 4 wires coming out of the wall are far more interesting as those are far more likely to be the wires for the speakers that are in your ceiling. Typical wiring would be red/white/green/black, but blue for green isn't uncommon. Red (+) /Black (-) would be one speaker. White (+) /Blue (-) would be the other speaker. You should take a speaker off the ceiling to confirm not only that this is how it is wired, but the make and model of the speaker that is in the ceiling.

You can hook up any amplified stereo source to the wires. I'm not sure where you're located, as it looks like a European plate vs. a USA plate on the wall, but just having random wiring sticking out of the wall kinda sucks. Nothing is labeled or anything. I would typically come in and add a new plate with 4 binding post connections on it, and label it for left speaker/right speaker with the proper positive/negative colors of red and black.

A typical source for something like those speakers might be something like a Sonos Amp or even an old AV receiver bought online for $40 if you can find one and just plug it into the wires on the wall. You will have to extend those wires, which is fine to do with wire nuts to test things out. You can pick up a bit of speaker cable online easily enough or at your local hardware store typically.
Sounds like a real pain to figure out , I wonder if these speakers are even worth the hassel . Either way both answers should fix the problem. I’ve never understood why people just leave wires out like this and not labeled like they cut the cords and left took their gear . Would suck to have to hire an electrician or speaker expert to fix this blunder .. cost more than there worth .

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sounds like a real pain to figure out , I wonder if these speakers are even worth the hassel . Either way both answers should fix the problem. I’ve never understood why people just leave wires out like this and not labeled like they cut the cords and left took their gear . Would suck to have to hire an electrician or speaker expert to fix this blunder .. cost more than there worth .
The in-wall wiring can cost well over $1,000 to install, repair, patch, and paint should wiring like this be desired after the drywall is up and in place. But, if someone has a few basic tools and some really basic skills, they can figure things out on their own and get it all taken care of. Some people are still good at that type of stuff, others are too scare to turn a screwdriver anymore.

TaylerGuerrero

TaylerGuerrero

Audiophyte
To connect to them, start by locating where the speakers are wired to. Usually, there's a central hub or amplifier somewhere in the house. You'll likely need to connect your audio source (like a phone or stereo system) to that hub using speaker wire or Bluetooth if it's supported. If you're unsure, reaching out to a professional like starkbuilders.com.au could be helpful. They might have expertise in audio installations that could make the process smoother.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
To connect to them, start by locating where the speakers are wired to. Usually, there's a central hub or amplifier somewhere in the house. You'll likely need to connect your audio source (like a phone or stereo system) to that hub using speaker wire or Bluetooth if it's supported.
Did you copy and paste that response off of Google? He's already shown the speaker wire in a photo. Hooking your phone up to a speaker wire is about as pointless as it gets. A phone and a amplified stereo system are like saying a bicycle and a airplane. Yes, they are transportation, but they are pretty massively different. A phone is not a amplified stereo system and one WILL work, the other will NOT work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis