New Home Theater Room Equip Thoughts

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm, now I'm wondering if I should do 24 speakers!! LOL.

I'm going 7, changing amp to Outlaw 7000x and sticking w/ the 3-way bookshelf "mini towers." Just gotta figure out which Monoprice ceiling speakers pair best w/ the rest (although probably not a big deal).

Debating on the 12" subs. Only thing holding me back is the size/98 pounds. Who am I kidding - it's gonna be 12"! Can always turn them down if "too much."

Thanks again for all the feedback.
I started with a 10" and replaced it with a higher quality 12" last weekend. I am now firmly in the camp that promotes getting good quality subs. You wouldn't expect the lower 100Hz to make that much of a difference but it has improved everything, be it music, movies and general TV.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic

I'm going 7, changing amp to Outlaw 7000x and sticking w/ the 3-way bookshelf "mini towers." Just gotta figure out which Monoprice ceiling speakers pair best w/ the rest (although probably not a big deal).

Debating on the 12" subs. Only thing holding me back is the size/98 pounds. Who am I kidding - it's gonna be 12"! Can always turn them down if "too much."

I found that in my HT room it's not so much the weight of the subs, but the sheer size. And I think mine are a bit smaller than those Monolith THX ones.

Paradigm Defiance X12 subwoofers dimensions are 19.5" × 18" × 19.5" vs Monolith THX 12" 22.75" × 16.75" × 23.5"

20210422_111748.jpg

But damn if it doesn't sound incredible. I'm glad I found this site, and the advice/help I've been given since joining here has been invaluable. Thanks to guys like @AcuDefTechGuy , @Pogre , @shadyJ , @lovinthehd, @panteragstk and probably a few more I'm forgetting.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

The weight can be a real challenge. Do you have anyone who can help you with those things? They are a two person job, and if you are taking them up or down some stairs, you will need a dolly of some kind. I would use a shoulder dolly along with a buddy who is in good shape. If you can't arrange that, get this. The Monolith subs are brutally heavy. If the weight is a real logistical problem for you, consider getting similar spec'd subs from Hsu Research, SVS, or Outlaw Audio.

P

proton1775

Audiophyte
The weight can be a real challenge. Do you have anyone who can help you with those things? They are a two person job, and if you are taking them up or down some stairs, you will need a dolly of some kind. I would use a shoulder dolly along with a buddy who is in good shape. If you can't arrange that, get this. The Monolith subs are brutally heavy. If the weight is a real logistical problem for you, consider getting similar spec'd subs from Hsu Research, SVS, or Outlaw Audio.
I appreciate the insight. I'm new to the state I'm moving to, but do have a friend there that should be able to help. I also have a dolly.

If I go w/ non-THX/Monoprice purpose built subwoofers that make up a part of the THX "series" am I going to lose any discernible performance?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I appreciate the insight. I'm new to the state I'm moving to, but do have a friend there that should be able to help. I also have a dolly.

If I go w/ non-THX/Monoprice purpose built subwoofers that make up a part of the THX "series" am I going to lose any discernible performance?
THX is a guarantee of a certain level of performance, but it doesn't mean that the sub can't meet or exceed the performance without that THX stamp. You won't necessarily lose any discernable performance, but you do need to do your homework on the level of performance those THX subs have and what can equal it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
12" and only 98 lbs.....not a very large sub in the big picture, but a respectable driver size to weight ratio ;) I always have a dolly in the garage, helps with heavy things like that if no one's around to help.

For my larger diy subs in order to move my from workshop to living room was removing the driver while I moved the box....could just stick my arms thru the baffle and carry the sub easier than trying to wrap my arms around it or maneuver the dolly over various stairs and thru doorways....but the boxes weren't super heavy either, no plate amps and used baltic birch instead of mdf. I'd rather have 12"s than 10"s tho (or even larger).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis