New home speaker placement

J

Jappel2

Audiophyte
Having a new house built, (can have wires pre-routed through ceilings and walls). Attached pictures show the model of what I'm building and how it would probably be when I move in. As you can tell, there is only one wall a surround speaker can be mounted which I will not do. And I really do not want surround speakers on stands then there's a wire problem, it just ... I don't want the cluttered look.
I guess my question is how would it sound with the surround speakers in the ceiling I am also going to add Atmos speakers to the ceiling. I can do 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.4 but I think that would be Overkill.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Having a new house built, (can have wires pre-routed through ceilings and walls). Attached pictures show the model of what I'm building and how it would probably be when I move in. As you can tell, there is only one wall a surround speaker can be mounted which I will not do. And I really do not want surround speakers on stands then there's a wire problem, it just ... I don't want the cluttered look.
I guess my question is how would it sound with the surround speakers in the ceiling I am also going to add Atmos speakers to the ceiling. I can do 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.4 but I think that would be Overkill.
First of all run all in wall AV wires in conduit, no exceptions. Tech tubes are a good low cost way to go.

Your room is really a great room. These rooms are not really suitable for surround audio. If I were you I would concentrate on a good 3.1, or 3.2 system and call it good.
Your pictures look ideal for a good in wall system.

That is our great room system. Everything, including the sub, is in wall. That was done with new construction recently.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That's going to be a personal preference. Would be nice if you knew someone with a similar speaker setup so that you could check it out. My couch is against the back wall and I have a low ceiling, so I opted for in ceiling speakers for the surrounds. In my case, the effects emanate from above. It's not ideal when you know the source should be from behind, so it was a compromise I chose to make. Since you have the dining area behind the couch, that allows you to position the speakers further back to give the sense of sound from behind. Gene of Audioholics does personal consultations if you want a professional opinion. Also keep in mind what is above the speaker location and whether you will need sound isolation.

J

Jappel2

Audiophyte
Someone just told me you can't have surround and Atmos in the ceiling together if I have Atmos I must have the surround speakers walls or stands.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Someone just told me you can't have surround and Atmos in the ceiling together if I have Atmos I must have the surround speakers walls or stands.
Is there a question there?
Yep. It’s true. Atmos needs the height differential between the bed layer and height layer. That’s how it works. I mean you CAN place all the speakers in the ceiling but it won’t work right.

J

Jappel2

Audiophyte
That sucks! So I have to choose surround in the ceiling or atmos in the ceiling with no surround jeez.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That sucks! So I have to choose surround in the ceiling or atmos in the ceiling with no surround jeez.
Yes, that is true. As I said, and as an experienced builder of audio systems, I advise you strongly not to put ceiling or surround speakers in that space. You will be far further ahead to put the money into a really good 2.1, 2.2, 3.1 or 3.2 system. After all that gets you 99% of the loaf. I am certain that systems posted on here in rooms like that would be far better systems following the advice I have given you. As time goes by I get more and more convinced that most rooms should not have surround systems in them, let alone surround and Atmos. To do the full HT experience really does require a dedicated room, not open, and with acoustic friendly dimensions. Absent that, less is much, much more.

Actually my wife and I use that system I referenced above more than any other system we have, and yes, we do watch movies on it, despite having a state of the art theater upstairs. You do not need a multitude of speakers to have a really good theater experience. What it takes first and foremost, is first class sound. I am also coming to the view that the BBC has been correct all along in that even a center speaker is highly dispensable, and in most instances a downgrade. Most center speakers are not an asset but a hinderance to a good sound experience.

I am also more and more inclining to the view that all speakers in a system must be to equivalent standard, or you are better off without them.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes indeed.
Personally I don’t want great to be the enemy of good. So, if there’s an option for IW surrounds to pair with IC Atmos, I would look to explore that. However TLS guy has a good point about quality over quantity. You’re the only one who can decide that.
A better option imo might be to find another room. Or if the house is custom built, look for a slight redesign. We built our house, and I had to build a column to hold my right surround speakers. Imo it doesn’t look out of place, and nobody has ever said so.(doesn’t mean they didn’t think it I guess).

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Nah, you’re good. You’ve got the best column in the forums.;)

J

Jappel2

Audiophyte
I figured it out..
Facing the TV there's a wall that is between the couch and the TV I'm going to put a in-wall speaker there for the left surround and to the right of the couch I will put an in-wall speaker. It's not going to be perfect but it's better than nothing and I could put two Atmos speakers in the ceiling.
Screenshot_20210302-150552_Gallery.jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I figured it out..
Facing the TV there's a wall that is between the couch and the TV I'm going to put a in-wall speaker there for the left surround and to the right of the couch I will put an in-wall speaker. It's not going to be perfect but it's better than nothing and I could put two Atmos speakers in the ceiling.
If you won't have any rear surround speakers in the back wall (opposite the TV), you'll want the side surrounds a little behind the couch if possible. In front of the couch would typically be the "front wide". In your first photo, the wall for the right surround appears to be behind the couch next to sliding glass doors. Hopefully the wall for the left surround extends back far enough to have the speakers line up, as opposed to in front of the couch like in your sketch.

J

Jappel2

Audiophyte
the left speaker is not going to line up with the right speaker it's going to probably be four or five feet in front of it I don't have a choice I can't have them redesigned the house just for me it won't happen. I could be wrong, but I'm looking at it as it's better than nothing. Or I have to get a sound bar.

J

Joryde

Audiophyte
I don't think you've said if there is a basement or other potential 'future' space for a more use-specific room for HT, but I tend to agree with those that caution against trying to force the space you're showing into a purpose it's not very suited for. It does appear to have a enough volume, and distance from viewing wall that the algorithmic surround processes in a soundbar should have enough room to work. I don't normally advocate for them, but in some situations it's an option that should probably be considered seriously. They get better every year.
J

J

Jappel2

Audiophyte
This is Florida there are no basements or in New York we called them cellers. So that's my choice a poorly placed left surround sound speaker or a sound bar that's my choice.

J

Jappel2

Audiophyte
Okay attached you'll see the floor plan for where this system will be. the issue is the left surround will be 3 ft in front of the couch this is what it'll look like this is my last shot of getting help it's either I live with this or I get an Atmos sound bar what is your suggestion?

Attachments

J

Jappel2

Audiophyte
I stand corrected to speak would be about 6 to 7 ft in front of the couch

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis