New HDMI cable / utilize video out

Walsh1

Walsh1

Junior Audioholic
So I own the Panasonic UB9000 which I have connected to my Marantz SR5012 using just a single HDMI from Blue Jeans cable. I just purchased a new HDMI and so I'm planning on utilizing the Video out straight to my Sony OLED while piping the audio to my Marantz.

I listened to an interview where Gene was interviewing a black gentleman from Sound United where he had brought up an issue he experienced where the video drops out for a second or two. I think it was due to voltage? I ask because this happens to me when playing disks in my player from time to time.

I was hoping that routing the video out straight to my TV instead of my AV receiver might resolve that.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't watch the video myself. But how were you connecting the avr to the tv before this, with only a single hdmi cable going from player to avr?

Walsh1

Walsh1

Junior Audioholic
Didn't watch the video myself. But how were you connecting the avr to the tv before this, with only a single hdmi cable going from player to avr?
Yes, a single HDMI going to my AVR and then a single HDMI using the ARC going to my TV from the AV receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, a single HDMI going to my AVR and then a single HDMI using the ARC going to my TV from the AV receiver.
The way you describe it you were using just one and getting dropouts somehow and now with a second hope to connect from bluray directly to tv to solve the dropouts? Or is this now a third hdmi cable so you can still have ARC audio going as well as your bluray player direct to tv for a test you couldn't do with the first two ? Sorry, it's just a bit hard to follow but good luck and hope that resolves your issues.

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
Is this the connection: blu-ray player -> receiver -> tv? And if so, how long are the two cable runs? If your cable distances are under about 20', then a Premium High Speed HDMI should work fine and you don't need to use an active cable (the Ruirpo is active). Make sure you are using the HDMI ouputs/inputs designated for ARC. I would disable ARC on all of your HDMI connected devices just to see if audio from the BD player thru the receiver to the tv is fine. Do you really need ARC?

Walsh1

Walsh1

Junior Audioholic
Is this the connection: blu-ray player -> receiver -> tv? And if so, how long are the two cable runs? If your cable distances are under about 20', then a Premium High Speed HDMI should work fine and you don't need to use an active cable (the Ruirpo is active). Make sure you are using the HDMI ouputs/inputs designated for ARC. I would disable ARC on all of your HDMI connected devices just to see if audio from the BD player thru the receiver to the tv is fine. Do you really need ARC?
Without using ARC how am I supposed to utilize my sound system during instances when I choose to stream? I'm pretty sure most people use ARC in modern times. Am I wrong about that?

Walsh1

Walsh1

Junior Audioholic
The way you describe it you were using just one and getting dropouts somehow and now with a second hope to connect from bluray directly to tv to solve the dropouts? Or is this now a third hdmi cable so you can still have ARC audio going as well as your bluray player direct to tv for a test you couldn't do with the first two ? Sorry, it's just a bit hard to follow but good luck and hope that resolves your issues.
Ok. I likely wasn't specific enough. Been just running a single HDMI from my disc player (Audio/Video) to my AVR and then a single HDMI cable using ARC from my AVR and TV. Seeing as how the Panasonic has the option to run a video out independently from audio, I thought that I would attempt to go this route and pipe the video straight to my TVs HDMI port. Audio will continue to go to my AVR of course.

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
I don't use ARC/CEC because I have no need for it. I just use Airplay if I want to stream music to my sound system while the tv is powered off.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok. I likely wasn't specific enough. Been just running a single HDMI from my disc player (Audio/Video) to my AVR and then a single HDMI cable using ARC from my AVR and TV. Seeing as how the Panasonic has the option to run a video out independently from audio, I thought that I would attempt to go this route and pipe the video straight to my TVs HDMI port. Audio will continue to go to my AVR of course.
ARC is only audio from your tv back to your avr, so for over-the-air content and/or apps' audio. You could test the dropouts going away using the two hdmi cords you had....one for video from bluray player to tv, the other for audio from bluray player to avr. You could also experiment with/without using any video processing in the avr.

ps I don't use ARC but I don't source audio in the tv either. When I did use tv apps ARC caused issues I didn't want....and an optical cable would yield same level of audio. External streamers are generally better than those in tvs. My question about the third cord was more about testing the video dropout issue....

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
My apologies for my first post. Maybe meat on the bone would have better than bait on the hook. I see what you are trying to do. I don't believe that HDMI cable is premium certified. Although it states it will handle 18gbps, the drop outs say otherwise. I had the same experience before changing cables. 4K HDR discs are proving too much for it. As for ARC, I'm not sure if you have activated HDMI-CEC in all of your devices, but it is required to use ARC in your situation. The new eARC standard does not require HDMI-CEC to be activated for audio return if all of the devices in the chain support it. But, if you do want to use ARC with your system and run one HDMI cable to the TV and one to the receiver from the Panasonic, HDMI-CEC will really screw it up. When you switch the TV to the HDMI input that is connected to the Panasonic, the TV may force the receiver to the TV ARC input rather than the blu-ray audio input from the Panasonic's audio output. That would be fine, except the TV will not pass the lossless audio from the Panasonic to the receiver because only the TV potentially supports eARC. So, if you want to hook the Panasonic to the TV and the receiver using two HDMI cables, turn off HDMI-CEC and use an optical cable from the TV to the receiver for the TV's built in apps or tuner. Don't feel like you are losing out on anything. ARC cannot pass lossless audio and I don't think you will hear a difference between DD through the optical cable and DD+ from the ARC connection. I'm not sure if Sony apps even support DD+. Nothing is going to give you a better picture or sound than the Panasonic and I think that is your priority based on how you want to hook it up. Get some inexpensive, premium certified cables from Monoprice. I think that will fix the drop outs. Make sure HDR is active on all of the devices. Again, sorry about my first post. I hope you get it worked out. That is some nice gear.

Walsh1

Walsh1

Junior Audioholic
Hey bud, I appreciate your response. The HDMI cables that I am currently utilizing are premium certified and come from Blue Jeans cable. The newer cable that I plan on piping video from the Panasonic player is indeed a 1m active cable. Probably doesn't matter but I thought I'd try it out anyhow. These 2 second dropouts in video happen haphazardly and inconsistently & normally the video drops for around 2 seconds with zero interruption in audio. It's a minor issue as it doesn't happen every single movie. But it does bug me when it happens. If this little maneuver doesn't solve it I'll also look at replacing the cable that I'm running in ARC. My TV is eARC compatible but I don't believe my Marantz SR5012 is. I do have ARC turned on in my TV settings. I'm likely to only notice if the issue is solved this fall as my movie watching is minimized in the summer months. While I certainly do enjoy listening to music I believe I utilize my system most often for home theater use.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The drop outs are an annoyance. I had them before getting 18gbs cables. I experimented with my system the other day after reading your post. I hooked video of blu-ray to TV and audio straight to the receiver. I kept HDMI-CEC and ARC on. I did turn it off in the blu-ray player. My system did not like it that way and suddenly my Apple TV decided to have the drop outs. That made no sense to me. Of course, the receiver would change to the TV ARC input whenever I switched the TV to the blu-ray HDMI input and I had to press the BD button on the receiver remote control. I’m back to a single cable out from the blu-ray player and all devices go to the receiver and then a single cable out to the TV’s ARC input. HDMI-CEC and ARC are working properly again and I will call it good and leave it alone. If you still have drop outs after getting the new cable, order a few from Monoprice. Sometimes less is more. You really can spend less on a cable and get more in terms of quality and value. In the meantime, you might try unplugging the TV and receiver, swapping HDMI cables and then turning it all back on and see if it was just a handshake issue. Hope it all works out. Enjoy your holiday weekend.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis