BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I personally hate it and the option to revert was taken away. The only way I found it's barely (can't stand cartoonishly huge fonts) is to use chrome zoom to 90%.
Seriously considering switching to something else.
Anyone else is has an opinion on this?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I personally hate it and the option to revert was taken away. The only way I found it's barely (can't stand cartoonishly huge fonts) is to use chrome zoom to 90%.
Did you change your display density to Compact?

Google has always been weird about the UI of Gmail. I know of no other mail service that doesn't allow creation of folders for sorting mail. So weird. I know you're supposed to apply labels and just archive anything you want out of your regular Inbox, but that seems like a kludge meant to solve something that was never a problem in the first place.

Well, I'm pretty jaded about Gmail's usability quirks these days. No matter how bad the UI gets, it's still more responsive than Hotmail / Live / 365 mail. Besides, since Google's spam filtering is more effective than that of any other service I've tried, I'm pretty tolerant of UI changes. In any case, I'm more apt to check my email using the Gmail app on my phone than via the web.

If it bothers you to the point that you're shopping for another service, you could always enable IMAP and use Outlook or Thunderbird. Maybe?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I pretty much only use it on my phone, but i love it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use Thunderbird for my gmail on my pc. I used to use the gmail app on my previous android phone, which I didn't like how it grouped type of email, but didn't really use email on the phone anyway; my new android's general email app can handle gmail now without using the gmail specific app. I may have to go into my google account and check it out now, though. :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I pretty much only use it on my phone, but i love it.
Don't get me wrong. I live and breath google products. my earliest Gmail goes back to Mar, 2005.
Mobile apps are ok. It's the new web gmail UI is terrible.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Google has always been weird about the UI of Gmail. I know of no other mail service that doesn't allow creation of folders for sorting mail. So weird. I know you're supposed to apply labels and just archive anything you want out of your regular Inbox, but that seems like a kludge meant to solve something that was never a problem in the first place.

Well, I'm pretty jaded about Gmail's usability quirks these days. No matter how bad the UI gets, it's still more responsive than Hotmail / Live / 365 mail. Besides, since Google's spam filtering is more effective than that of any other service I've tried, I'm pretty tolerant of UI changes. In any case, I'm more apt to check my email using the Gmail app on my phone than via the web.

If it bothers you to the point that you're shopping for another service, you could always enable IMAP and use Outlook or Thunderbird. Maybe?
Yes, the compact setting I always had it set. Last one tweak to make a bit less miserable is the "dark" theme
Pretty annoyed with Gmail labels as well/
Imap sucks or should I say it sucks compared to Outlook/Exchange native MAPI. Gmail actually used to offer it free of charge, but now only paid accounts to have it. I would consider paying for GSuit, but since you can't keep the old email it's kinda moot (yes I guess I could set up forwarding, but it would be too clunky.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I use Thunderbird for my gmail on my pc. I used to use the gmail app on my previous android phone, which I didn't like how it grouped type of email, but didn't really use email on the phone anyway; my new android's general email app can handle gmail now without using the gmail specific app. I may have to go into my google account and check it out now, though. :)
I've used Thunderbird for years. it has its moments, but I could never see myself going back to such old method of getting the email.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I actually like it a lot. Lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've used Thunderbird for years. it has its moments, but I could never see myself going back to such old method of getting the email.
I just need something basic....if I were working that might be different. When I last worked the company I worked for used MS Outlook which I didn't care for. Just took a look at the new gmail normal view...a little busy but didn't look too horrible.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Mine changed today. Hate it as well.
Thanks. It worked. Much better than the new one except the stuff on the left column.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You can also change the default font in Settings.
wasn't talking about the body of the email (which you could change) but about a huge text on labels which you can't change. So far compact destiny, 90% scale, and dark theme made it somewhat tolerable, still don't like, but I may play with it a bit further later.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't feel like it's such a radical redesign of the old email interface. It has changed, sure, but most of the same stuff is in the same places. They just look a bit different.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't feel like it's such a radical redesign of the old email interface. It has changed, sure, but most of the same stuff is in the same places. They just look a bit different.
Yes, the buttons and functions are mostly the same, it's the design elements is what drives me nuts. It used to be clean and simple. Now default interface looks oversized labels and fonts; as well as overall feel looks cartoonish to me.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I switched my business email from yahoo to gmail and I'm not a fan. Yes, my customers get my emails now, but it's hard to find things in the email and the reply all button now takes 2 clicks to use. It is cartoonish and I hate how it groups emails. Make it hard to find emails.

B

Bryanbrooks

Audiophyte
The fonts seem a bit over-the-top and cartoonish, which isn't really my style. And to make matters worse, they took away the option to revert to the old look. It's like they flipped the script overnight

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
my two favorite buttons ..........delete and mute

T

thomasleech

Audiophyte
I totally get where you're coming from with the new Gmail design – it's one of those things that can really divide opinions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis