New Fully NFS Optimized Sierra LX From Ascend Acoustics!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Likewise, from one article I read, they only harvest bamboo once it reaches 35-40' which may take anywhere from 1-3 years...
Which is much faster than trees, plus you can grow a lot more bamboo per square acre than trees. I think the supply issue is more finding someone willing to build custom speaker cabinets to his specs. It's stringy, splintery and hard to cut.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
LOL
Google search on Bamboo Shortage just brings up a page or more of Canadian Zoo returning Pandas because they can't get Bamboo. :p

For me and Ascend, this was back in 2018. Not relevant today. *blushes
There's more than one type of bamboo! I know for a fact that he doesn't use food grade bamboo for his speakers!

I actually don't know the food grade part but thought it sounded funny, lol. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Which is much faster than trees, plus you can grow a lot more bamboo per square acre than trees. I think the supply issue is more finding someone willing to build custom speaker cabinets to his specs. It's stringy, splintery and hard to cut.
I think I saw a number of around 50yrs for a tree to grow to useful harvest size!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Cool. So it is a Bamboo Ply.
Thank you. :)

(edit: bamboo plywood is a little different than what we think of as plywood as it isn't the regular sandwiching of alternating layers... This is just from a quick google search:
View attachment 54712
I had seen some other descriptions that discussed rolling out and compressing the fibers in a manner that sounds more like traditional ply, but you can see with this product what looks like described above in your post. :) )
Lumber core is the term I'd use.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
View attachment 54698

SIERRA LX SPECIFICATIONS

Typical In-Room Frequency Response: 28Hz - 23kHz

Typical In-Room Sensitivity: 87dB @ 2.83v / 1 meter

Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms

Max Continuous Power*: 350 watts

Max Short Term Peak Power*: 500 watts

Cabinet Detail: Exclusive V-LAM™ construction featuring 20mm thick vertically laminated bamboo, internally braced. Bass reflex via flared rear port

Tweeter: Customized version of SEAS "Titan" dome tweeter, model H1825 with titanium former, aluminum alloy 1" dome, large, tuned damping chamber and copper cap for reduced distortion and inductance

Woofer: (1) Proprietary 6” high excursion, high power, aluminum cone woofer, non-resonant cast magnesium basket frame, vented pole-piece, dual layer pure copper voice coil, copper shorting rings, vented spider and titanium former. Custom manufactured for us by SEAS of Norway and exclusive to Ascend Acoustics

Connections: (2) gold plated all metal 5 way binding posts

Inserts: (1) 1/4-20 threaded insert

Anechoic Bass Extension (-3dB): 36Hz (modeled)

Anechoic Frequency Response: 43Hz - 23kHz +/- 3dB (based on Klippel NFS measurements)

Anechoic Sensitivity: 83dB @ 2.83v / 1 meter

Dimensions H x W x D**: 14.25" x 7.5" x 10.5"

Speaker Weight (each): 22 pounds

Shipping Weight (pair): 45 pounds

Minimum Recommended Power at Listening Position for Specific Speaker Distances

3 Feet or Less: 3 watts minimum

9 Feet or Less: 33 watts minimum

15 Feet or Less: 90 watts minimum

21 Feet or More: 180 watts minimum

*Unclipped peaks **Grille On
So this is he tweeter for those speakers. A very respectable performer for the price. The break up has been pushed to 25KHz. That is very respectable for a hard dome tweeter.

This is the woofer. That driver is a little more problematic. There is already a break up mode at 500 Hz, which is manageable to a degree. However you can see it contributes to an early off axis decline, though smooth. The driver totally looses it at 7 KHz. All very stiff metal cone drivers will have a violent break up mode.

The driver again seems reasonably priced.

The data from Ascend, show the crossover is in the 2 to 2.5 KHz range.

So the good value of these drivers from the SEAS Prestige line, allow for a reasonably priced good performer. The Excel line are much more expensive, but smooth performance to the very violent crossover mode.

From the data supplied, the design seems to have paired these drivers as optimally as possible.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So this is he tweeter for those speakers. A very respectable performer for the price. The break up has been pushed to 25KHz. That is very respectable for a hard dome tweeter.

This is the woofer. That driver is a little more problematic. There is already a break up mode at 500 Hz, which is manageable to a degree. However you can see it contributes to an early off axis decline, though smooth. The driver totally looses it at 7 KHz. All very stiff metal cone drivers will have a violent break up mode.

The driver again seems reasonably priced.

The data from Ascend, show the crossover is in the 2 to 2.5 KHz range.

So the good value of these drivers from the SEAS Prestige line, allow for a reasonably priced good performer. The Excel line are much more expensive, but smooth performance to the very violent crossover mode.

From the data supplied, the design seems to have paired these drivers as optimally as possible.
I think I recall seeing that Dave is working with SEAS directly on some customizations. For example, he has previously used one of their Prestige Drivers, but based on an Excel Motor (Sierra2EX, Perhaps?). I thought I saw reference to this being the same driver, or similar concept being done.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He does mention in his build thread that his customized version of that driver uses the magnet from their larger 7" model. Here's a little snippet of Dave describing the driver.

To further meet my requirements, the engineers at SEAS recommended using the larger and more advanced magnet system from the L19, (a 7” version of this woofer.) This would provide even more “slam” – which was exactly what I was looking for. Additionally, rather than use the standard aluminum frame, we thought it best to use our custom tooled cast magnesium frame for additional stiffness and resonance control.

The result was remarkable… very deep bass and midbass punch in a small cabinet combined with exceptionally low distortion and ideal directivity. This unique version of this woofer is exclusive to Ascend Acoustics.

This is the rest of the post.

Billy106

Billy106

Audioholic Intern
Distrotion levels at 86&96dbs. Elaboration or interpretation of measurement....is explained further down and put into laymen's terms.

Pasoko

Pasoko

Audiophyte
Can I get a photo of the actual sierra-lx?
I'm trying to decide which color variant to get, but I can't find any in my research.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ummm...
Did you see the first post, here? ;)

Pasoko

Pasoko

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply.
Of course I saw it. But isn't that CG? It doesn't look like the texture of the real.
Any other pictures would be helpful.

Billy106

Billy106

Audioholic Intern
Can I get a photo of the actual sierra-lx?
I'm trying to decide which color variant to get, but I can't find any in my research.
The website is live with the LX...Dave also mentioned it will be updated very soon for a single or Center LX.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The website is live with the LX...Dave also mentioned it will be updated very soon for a single or Center LX.
That's really an excellent price actually. Wonder what the full price will be after pre order pricing ends.

Billy106

Billy106

Audioholic Intern
Ik...it was bantered about iirc... probable increase by ~$100.00 after the introductory sale price....closer or more inline with the 2EX...two similar but different speakers. Some of the more in depth feedback....say the LX is great out of the box, more adept filling a room and less fickle about placement...a couple of folks preferred it over the RAAL tower for those reasons...all ik.. I can't wait for Dave to put the towers through the kipple and see what comes out...he warned some folks not to replace their towers.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Would love if these had magnetic grills, the mesh over the tweeter would really make me want to leave these uncovered but I don't like the look of the post holes on the front baffle.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis