ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Got an email blast overnight from MiniDSP touting some new gear:

Along with this, a blurb was included for a revision to REW for Paid Multichannel Support. I could not find more info on the web just yet, but the Umik-X will come with a license for this, and the email says John will be selling standalone licenses through the REW website for multichannel support.

The Rabbit Hole just got deeper! :)

Rabbit Hole GIFs | Tenor

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Got an email blast overnight from MiniDSP touting some new gear:

Along with this, a blurb was included for a revision to REW for Paid Multichannel Support. I could not find more info on the web just yet, but the Umik-X will come with a license for this, and the email says John will be selling standalone licenses through the REW website for multichannel support.

The Rabbit Hole just got deeper! :)

Rabbit Hole GIFs | Tenor
Was there any indication if they are discontinuing the original UMIK to replace it with the v2?

Or will both products remain on the market?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Was there any indication if they are discontinuing the original UMIK to replace it with the v2?

Or will both products remain on the market?
No indication, but given the pricepoints, I don't think they are likely to cancel it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've seen some others using it already without complaint. Might want to reach out to MDSP and check on your experience. I would hope this is anomalous and warrant a return and new mic. Please keep us informed.

K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
I can't take measurements . . It's starts reading volume on speakers when I touch it but it's corrupted .if you can interrupt reading so easily that's bad .isn't ?
I did use mic provided by avr and it works fine you can do whatever you want with device
When I use Dirac it says problem with timing .then I hit the button again right after and it's reding but the line is thick and doesn't change shape at all

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't take measurements . . It's starts reading volume on speakers when I touch it but it's corrupted .if you can interrupt reading so easily that's bad .isn't ?
I did use mic provided by avr and it works fine you can do whatever you want with device
When I use Dirac it says problem with timing .then I hit the button again right after and it's reding but the line is thick and doesn't change shape at all
Well it doesn't sound good but I never hold a measurement mic in my hand either, always using a boom or tripod myself...but I'd ask miniDSP if they consider this normal.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So for fun got out my Omnimic set and didn't seem to get any microphonics from handling the mic manually....for such a new product as the Umik-2 I'd still ask miniDSP first, tho....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Def not normal behavior. Regardless of usage.

More importantly, holding a mic for measurement sweeps is just bad form. Especially with a powerful program like Dirac. That mic needs to be steady and your body out of the way for accurate measurements.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Def not normal behavior. Regardless of usage.

More importantly, holding a mic for measurement sweeps is just bad form. Especially with a powerful program like Dirac. That mic needs to be steady and your body out of the way for accurate measurements.
Also wonder about the proximity to the electronics in the video if that has an effect....

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Has anyone found anything the UMIK2 does that my UMIK1 doesn't do?
:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doubt many people have anything to go on except the features miniDSP mentions since they just recently started shipping these per the minidsp website....the larger capsule mic could be attractive. Was the Dirac compatibility lacking entirely with the Umik-1?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
According to this Dirac is supported by UMIK-1

Is anyone looking for an attractive MIK? Mine stays in a box when not in use. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
According to this Dirac is supported by UMIK-1

Is anyone looking for an attractive MIK? Mine stays in a box when not in use. :D
I was wondering because the Umik-2 description specifically indicates compatibility with Dirac Live version 3 and later....

K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
i tried to use dirac wo"touching" first time is timed out almost every measurements ,second click and measurement is corrupted .line with reading is wide and constant

ps i dont hold mic in hand.its on tripod as you can see on video
i didnt have any problem with second mike to calibrate system
contacted dsp and they says some grounding loop ?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis