New DENON AVR-S950H

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
I just got a new DENON AVR-S950H to replace my dead AVR-S920W ...I have everything connected and set up.. just like I had the 920, but I can only get stereo, multi channel and multi channel stereo, there’s not dts or atmos available. I have my Xbox connected to the receiver and tv to receiver. Xbox it’s compatible with Dolby atmos, but receiver won’t show any other sound mode that those I mencioned... any solution? Or Setting missed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How do you have things connected? What are you using as source material to test? What is "everything" in the way of speaker setup?

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
How do you have things connected? What are you using as source material to test? What is "everything" in the way of speaker setup?
I have a 5.1, I have my Xbox and tv connected to the receiver, I use the Xbox for Netflix, Hulu, video games music.... everything.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a 5.1, I have my Xbox and tv connected to the receiver, I use the Xbox for Netflix, Hulu, video games music.... everything.

What specific types of connections? Have you checked audio output settings in the xbox? What specific content are you testing with?

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
What specific types of connections? Have you checked audio output settings in the xbox? What specific content are you testing with?
I have the Xbox connected with HDMI to the receiver same with tv, yes I did check output settings on xbox, and I tried Netflix, Hulu and a DVD. I thought it was gonna be plug n play since I had another’s receiver before. But I’m only getting stereo, multi channel and multi channel stereo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have the Xbox connected with HDMI to the receiver same with tv, yes I did check output settings on xbox, and I tried Netflix, Hulu and a DVD. I thought it was gonna be plug n play since I had another’s receiver before. But I’m only getting stereo, multi channel and multi channel stereo.

Did you setup the avr manually or with Audyssey?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the xbox is set correctly dont know why the avr choices are limited to 2ch, or at least I can't think of what to check now. Maybe run a system reset and setup again....

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
If the xbox is set correctly dont know why the avr choices are limited to 2ch, or at least I can't think of what to check now. Maybe run a system reset and setup again....
Yes that’s what I’m thinking, hope that after resetting the thing will work...

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
Yes that’s what I’m thinking, hope that after resetting the thing will work...

So I just changed the Xbox settings from Dolby atmos to DTS digital sorround and now I have different options. But I can’t get the atmos anymore. I know I only have 5.1 but with my old receiver I was able to use it and sounded good, but now I can’t.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I just changed the Xbox settings from Dolby atmos to DTS digital sorround and now I have different options. But I can’t get the atmos anymore. I know I only have 5.1 but with my old receiver I was able to use it and sounded good, but now I can’t.

You wouldn't get Atmos with a 5.1 setup so not surprising. Or are you saying you can't use Dolby Surround now?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Keep in mind a sound mode is one thing, what codec you're processing in an avr (or elsewhere) can be another....

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
You wouldn't get Atmos with a 5.1 setup so not surprising. Or are you saying you can't use Dolby Surround now?
No only atmos, I used to be able to use atmos even that I only have 5.1 but I just turned to DTS Dolby sorround. And I set the receiver to dts x virtual

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No you can't have Atmos without the speakers...not sure what settings you just changed to, tho.

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
No you can't have Atmos without the speakers...not sure what settings you just changed to, tho.
The settings in the Xbox, but I don’t really mind even if I were able to have it I won’t be enjoying the real thing, but it was nice that I was able to use it with my old receiver

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The settings in the Xbox, but I don’t really mind even if I were able to have it I won’t be enjoying the real thing, but it was nice that I was able to use it with my old receiver

But you weren't "using" it. Maybe Dolby Surround mode (and a Dolby Atmos soundtrack would default to only Dolby TrueHD anyways). You can't even upmix without the speakers....

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
I don’t know man, i was surprised it worked I didn’t had the full atmos experience but it was nice, now with this new receiver I’m gonna miss that, unless I get speakers for atmos.
...little bit out of context, I have an old home theater in a box, it’s possible to connect those speakers to my receiver?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t know man, i was surprised it worked I didn’t had the full atmos experience but it was nice, now with this new receiver I’m gonna miss that, unless I get speakers for atmos.
...little bit out of context, I have an old home theater in a box, it’s possible to connect those speakers to my receiver?

Still sounds only like Dolby Surround upmixing if anything. Probably your old htib speakers will work fine as surrounds altho some can be pretty low impedance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I was curious to see what the 920 manual might say about Dolby Atmos. It specifically mentions on p.123 of the manual for the various available Dolby sound modes that with speaker setups of 5.1 or less the Dolby Atmos option is not available....

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
FWIW I was curious to see what the 920 manual might say about Dolby Atmos. It specifically mentions on p.123 of the manual for the various available Dolby sound modes that with speaker setups of 5.1 or less the Dolby Atmos option is not available....
Yes, I always thought that without the proper speaker set up it will not work, but my surprise was when Xbox gave atmos compatibly, I tried and it worked.... I don’t really care not having atmos available because I don’t have the speakers, but when I only had stereo and multi that was a problem, got it fixed and running now, I think my speakers sound better with this receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis