New Denon 3805 sounds terrible - help!?!

Peppy

Peppy

Junior Audioholic
Sorry if I'am late for suggestion, I was gone for the holiday up to yesterday. I just want to find out if your bass problem with your 3805 have been corrected as today (4 jan 05).

I'am running 2 JBL PB10 Sub with my 3805, and when these sub are use with LFE swich the crossover are automaticly by pass to let the LFE of the ampli (in this case the 3805) manage the bass. So the only thing on the sub back panel left working is the volume level. Do you have a swich on the sub panel to choose from normal or LFE input ? The 3805 volume to the sub can also be increase or decease at the same time. Right now both of my sub level are at 11 o'clock and my LFE level on the 3805 is at +6.5. Does your LFE cable from the 3805 to your sub are in good condition ?

Just in case you want to do a setting comparasion, my speakers set up are as follows: Axiom M80ti Fronts - Large, Infinity IL36 Center - Large, JBL E20 Surrounds - Small, Subwoofer - LFE + MAIN, receiver crossover at 80 Hz. My room is 28X13.5 with a 8 foot ceiling. I let the 3805 auto set up to do the EQ,Distance and volume Level and just play a bit from these automatic set up for my own ear preference. With these set up I can get some deep and loud bass; but it's always depending about what movie you watch. This week end I put Master&Commander and Colateral and I had to keep the 3805 volume at -22.5 but when I watch the last LOR last week, my volume had to be at -17.5. Zarg have a good point when he said "sub is not obvious when playing music." So the volume level can have a wide range depending what you are watching(or listening)

Hope that help. :eek:

annunaki

annunaki

Like stated previously, set all speakers to small, and set the crossover on the sub as high as possible and/or defeat it. I would suggest starting at a slightly lower crossover point of 60hz though. Set your LFE to subwoofer only. If your Axiom front L/R are not capable down to 20hz +/-3db they should be set to small. In this case you can set the crossover point lower if needed, at say 40hz or so. Also check each speaker to see its lowest +/-3db point. I would set the crossover in the receiver at the highest +/-3db frequency of any given speaker. Let us know what happens. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis