New Definitive Tech Speakers

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
I was considering those Pioneers before but the center speaker is huge. I've got my center on a fireplace mantel, the Definitive 1000 is starting to push it size wise and I know that the front 3 speakers should match.
Try just the left and right Pioneers or Cambridge and see if you can live without the center. Getting your sub crossover point below 100hz will sound better as once you cross higher you will notice localization starting to set in.

Y

Yardley

Enthusiast
Try just the left and right Pioneers or Cambridge and see if you can live without the center. Getting your sub crossover point below 100hz will sound better as once you cross higher you will notice localization starting to set in.
I'm going to take your advise for larger speakers and stick to my Audio Physic Spark III floor standing speakers. Those go down to 30hz. I may also use a larger Definitive ProCenter 1000 that I already own, but if I keep the small satellites for center and rears with the Audio Physic in front, would the crossover settings below be proper?

Audio Physic fronts crossed at 80hz
Center and rear sats at 150hz
LFE at 80hz

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
I'm going to take your advise for larger speakers and stick to my Audio Physic Spark III floor standing speakers. Those go down to 30hz. I may also use a larger Definitive ProCenter 1000 that I already own, but if I keep the small satellites for center and rears with the Audio Physic in front, would the crossover settings below be proper?

LFE at 80hz
Yes that would work.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
but if I keep the small satellites for center and rears with the Audio Physic in front, would the crossover settings below be proper?

LFE at 80hz
I would not use the ProCinema 600 center channel

The Sats can be OK for surrounds

I would keep the .1 LFE at 120 hz

Y

Yardley

Enthusiast
I would not use the ProCinema 600 center channel

The Sats can be OK for surrounds

I would keep the .1 LFE at 120 hz
Why no to the 600 center? What about the 1000? Or are you suggesting no center at all?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Why no to the 600 center? What about the 1000? Or are you suggesting no center at all?
Because the 600 center is on the wimpy side. I would want the bass to go below 100 hz
Also the timbe (tone color) will not match your towers.

If you can live with the non-matching timbre - then go with the ProCenter 1000, it will
have more bass - and be better for low male voices > the -6 db will be around 50 hz

The ProCenter 600 is -6db at 112 hz

Last edited:
Y

Yardley

Enthusiast
Because the 600 center is on the wimpy side. I would want the bass to go below 100 hz
Also the timbe (tone color) will not match your towers.

If you can live with the non-matching timbre - then go with the ProCenter 1000, it will
have more bass - and be better for low male voices > it is -6 db at 45 hz

The ProCenter 600 is -6db at 112 hz
Cool, what's a good crossover for the 1000 center? I'll set the rest as stated above, rear sats at 150hz, towers at 80hz and LFE at 120hz per your suggestion.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
I'd still try and skip the center, especially since it's not timbre matched

Y

Yardley

Enthusiast
I'd still try and skip the center, especially since it's not timbre matched
That's the reason I didn't want to use the towers in the first place. My sitting position is a bit off center to begin with and I usually lay down to one side which is even worse, so I'm not sure if not having a center is a good idea for me

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Cool, what's a good crossover for the 1000 center? I'll set the rest as stated above, rear sats at 150hz, towers at 80hz and LFE at 120hz per your suggestion.

That's the reason I didn't want to use the towers in the first place. My sitting position is a bit off center to begin with and I usually lay down to one side which is even worse, so I'm not sure if not having a center is a good idea for me
I would still experiment with-out the center channel

If you use the ProCenter 1000 - then start with a 100 hz crossover.

Last edited by a moderator:
crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Toe your speakers to accommodate your prime seating position and if the tweeter sounds off use leveling spikes to pitch them forward. Make sure your speaker distance is correct in your avr also.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis