New Dayton sub Drivers

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
Just a question for the experts. How would a ported sub using 2 of these drivers perform in your opinion? how big would box need to be?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's not going to get down lower than a good woofer in a tower.
I saw that ad earlier this morning and was resoundingly disappointed in what they were calling Subwoofers. Even the new Reference series High-Excursion Drivers were disappointing.
Dayton could easily challenge other Driver manufacturers if they wanted, but these recent choices, including the Max-X are all flawed.

Your best bet would be using a single 12" or 15" Reference HF Driver to build a Sub.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just a question for the experts. How would a ported sub using 2 of these drivers perform in your opinion? how big would box need to be?

Not a very useful driver that 7" one. Fs is 35 Hz, you can get an f3 of 30 Hz out of it with an extended bass alignment but it is a relatively high Qt driver at 0.46. So that is not recommended. If it was a good driver for a two way speaker, there would be some point in it. However it has to be cut sharpish at 1.5 Khz, as the cone break up above 2K is catastrophic. That is right in the speech discrimination band. The driver is also very insensitive. So I can't see where this gets us very far ahead.

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
OK thanks. Was just curious if using 2 of the drivers in a sub would work. Not reallylooking to make change from what I have now.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Looks like it was made to serve as the bass driver in a 3-way speaker. It might be OK in that use, but it wouldn't dig very deep as a dedicated sub.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like it was made to serve as the bass driver in a 3-way speaker. It might be OK in that use, but it wouldn't dig very deep as a dedicated sub.
I was actually thinking that, too, Shady. They talked about it being great for 2-ways in their writeup... but as TLS mentioned, the woofer cutoff isn't nearly high enough...
Then, considering the sensitivity (<84dB!) and the D4 VCs, you could series-parallel a pair of these drivers to help boost your output while still keeping the cabinet size pretty reasonable. (Paired with a good mid, it could be made to work.)

But the problem for these Epiques is, quite simply, there are better drivers out there for pretty much any job you would use these for. *shrugs

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis