New crown Xli 1500 amp

D

dutchcrunch

Enthusiast
Just received a crown Xli 1500 to power 2 additional front speakers (Klipsch r820f). My current setup is a 5.2 configuration for my main zone which consists of (2) Klipsch bookshelf speakers on the front l/r channels. (2) rear speakers. A center svs speaker and (2) svs pb2000 subs. I also have 2 outdoor speakers connected to my height#2 speaker inputs all Being powered by a marantz sr7012. The amp assign has not been changed from factory presets. Everything works fine but cannot get the crown to power the new additional Klipsch towers. I have connected rca outs to zone3 pre out of the marantz and the speakers wired directly to the crown. I'm sure I'm doing something incorrect. I've searched the threads before posting and have checked YouTube/Google etc. And cannot find my exact setup, so apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, lol. Thanks!--dutch

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might be limited by input signal or your output mode for doing things simultaneously in all zones (which is generally pretty limited). Not how the avr is intended to be used in any case. Help to know just what your source is and what audio format, all zone use from hdmi sources I think usually won't be available, or will be limited. All zones are turned on? Gains on amp at full or ? Checked the manual for what is possible to broadcast in all three zones? I did just now and it appears there's only All Zone Stereo on page 139 with limitations....

ps the pre-outs remain live so you could try using the main zone with the pre-outs and adjust level with the gain on the amps to match the other L/R speakers....

D

dutchcrunch

Enthusiast
Wasn't intending on broadcasting all 3 zones simultaneously, but I think it's possible. Just adding 2 speakers to my main listening zone hence why I'm adding this amp. I know it's possible with this amp as several reviewers of this amp on Amazon have marantz avrs. I've never added an external amp to my avr config. Lol first time!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
"Just adding" two more L/R speakers isn't all that normal. Or am I misunderstanding?

D

dutchcrunch

Enthusiast
Lol,.yes thats all I'm adding. Sounded normal enough to me LMFAO. Maybe it's not?

D

dutchcrunch

Enthusiast
I thought I could add them to my height speakers channel, like I did for my outdoor speakers which work fine

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Why aren't you using the main outs? The paragraph was hard to read

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@everettT I don't think he has tried using the main zone L/R pre-outs as I suggested yet it seems. You could use more speakers as heights but not sure why you just don't use the heights terminals instead of zone 3? FWIW it's not ideal to run two lefts and two rights (and I mean the front main speakers in your case) due to comb filtering effects. Try this article https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/comb-filtering

D

dutchcrunch

Enthusiast
@everettT I don't think he has tried using the main zone L/R pre-outs as I suggested yet it seems. You could use more speakers as heights but not sure why you just don't use the heights terminals instead of zone 3? FWIW it's not ideal to run two lefts and two rights (and I mean the front main speakers in your case) due to comb filtering effects. Try this article https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/comb-filtering
I have tried using the main zone preouts on my marantz, the green lights on the crown amp which indicate whether there is a signal or not have not lit up in that config either. In reference to that article the added speakers are directly below each bookshelf speaker, so they are the same distance from my mlp. I just want to be able to add these larger speakers for more intense 2 channel listening most likely will turn off bookshelfs when listening to vinyl, CDs etc. Just want the ability to have them hooked and be able to turn them on/off via my avr

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have tried using the main zone preouts on my marantz, the green lights on the crown amp which indicate whether there is a signal or not have not lit up in that config either. In reference to that article the added speakers are directly below each bookshelf speaker, so they are the same distance from my mlp. I just want to be able to add these larger speakers for more intense 2 channel listening most likely will turn off bookshelfs when listening to vinyl, CDs etc. Just want the ability to have them hooked and be able to turn them on/off via my avr
When you tried using the main zone pre-outs, it was the main left and right? You sure you weren't using the 7.1 analog inputs in error? Gain was up full on the Crown amp? Odd that there would be nothing, pretty sure the pre-outs stay live at all times but I'm not reading your whole manual :)

If you only want to use two speakers on the power amp for 2ch listening, you have a 2ch mode for a second set of L/R speakers built in...look at pg 69 of the manual for two sets of L/R speakers (one for 7.1, other for 2ch listening). Use the bigger speakers for 2ch, leave the smaller ones for multich....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Might be limited by input signal or your output mode for doing things simultaneously in all zones (which is generally pretty limited). Not how the avr is intended to be used in any case. Help to know just what your source is and what audio format, all zone use from hdmi sources I think usually won't be available, or will be limited. All zones are turned on? Gains on amp at full or ? Checked the manual for what is possible to broadcast in all three zones? I did just now and it appears there's only All Zone Stereo on page 139 with limitations....

ps the pre-outs remain live so you could try using the main zone with the pre-outs and adjust level with the gain on the amps to match the other L/R speakers....
So its 4 front mains? I reread after the update and I'm confused on why. Has to be a acoustic nightmare. Maybe a screenshot of the audyssey layout would help.

D

dutchcrunch

Enthusiast
I
When you tried using the main zone pre-outs, it was the main left and right? You sure you weren't using the 7.1 analog inputs in error? Gain was up full on the Crown amp? Odd that there would be nothing, pretty sure the pre-outs stay live at all times but I'm not reading your whole manual :)

If you only want to use two speakers on the power amp for 2ch listening, you have a 2ch mode for a second set of L/R speakers built in...look at pg 69 of the manual for two sets of L/R speakers (one for 7.1, other for 2ch listening). Use the bigger speakers for 2ch, leave the smaller ones for multich....
I do know about the extra 2 channel capability of the marantz, I will be using all of those channels eventually and bought the crown to power the new Klipsch speakers as I wanted to use the pre amp outputs. I'm obviously doing something wrong or the crown is doa. I'm basically wanting to add 2 additional front speakers that will be powered by the crown Xli 1500, and want to use my marantz to control the volume.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I

I do know about the extra 2 channel capability of the marantz, I will be using all of those channels eventually and bought the crown to power the new Klipsch speakers as I wanted to use the pre amp outputs. I'm obviously doing something wrong or the crown is doa. I'm basically wanting to add 2 additional front speakers that will be powered by the crown Xli 1500, and want to use my marantz to control the volume.
Can't help further without you answering each question or confirming all steps being taken, settings, etc. Why would the Crown be DOA, is it used? Did you try the zone 3 with the stereo channel settings to see if the amp works?

D

dutchcrunch

Enthusiast
So its 4 front mains? I reread after the update and I'm confused on why. Has to be a acoustic nightmare. Maybe a screenshot of the audyssey layout would help.
Lol, thought it was possible. Was going to turn off the bookshelf speakers when u wanted to listen to 2 ch cds/vinyl. Thought it wasn't that weird to have 4 front speakers LMFAO , I guess I'm weird I haven't run auddessy again yet, just wanted to see if it worked before running it again

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's possible re-running Audyssey could help if connected to the main L/R pre-outs I suppose...wouldn't do a thing for a connection to those for zone 3. Yes, it's weird to have two sets of left and right mains running simultaneously. If you really want extra volume I'd just concentrate on putting your amp on your most capable two speakers.

D

dutchcrunch

Enthusiast
Can't help further without you answering each question or confirming all steps being taken, settings, etc. Why would the Crown be DOA, is it used? Did you try the zone 3 with the stereo channel settings to see if the amp works?
Yes, I tried zone 3 with stereo settings on the crown. I bought it brand new off Amazon. Didn't turn gain up full, as the green lights indicating a signal were not lit up. I could hear a slight hiss from the speakers but no audio.

D

dutchcrunch

Enthusiast
It's possible re-running Audyssey could help if connected to the main L/R pre-outs I suppose...wouldn't do a thing for a connection to those for zone 3. Yes, it's weird to have two sets of left and right mains running simultaneously. If you really want extra volume I'd just concentrate on putting your amp on your most capable two speakers.
My amp or avr? That's what im trying to do with the crown, like I said, I'm not running them simultaneously I will be switching off the bookshelves when listening to vinyl/CDs etc..and not using the towers when watching movies, tv etc. Just wanted bigger speakers for 2ch listening, but not powered by the marantz, powered through the crown. Thanks for the help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My amp or avr? That's what im trying to do with the crown, like I said, I'm not running them simultaneously I will be switching off the bookshelves when listening to vinyl/CDs etc..and not using the towers when watching movies, tv etc. Just wanted bigger speakers for 2ch listening, but not powered by the marantz, powered through the crown. Thanks for the help.
Then use the 7.1 plus 2ch listening mode in amp assign discussed a little while ago, using the pre-outs for the channels indicated for the B speakers for your power amp....I currently use a Denon avr with this mode but I use the internal channels of the avr rather than a pre-out/external amp. I'd just connect my external amp to the B speaker pre-outs if I did, though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis