New construction theater room setup

D

Derek Remmick

Enthusiast
I am in the planning stage of finishing my basement. I'm trying to decide between a 7.2 or 5.2.2. My receiver is capable of 5.2.2 or 7.2, but I will pre-wire for 5.2.4.
layout.jpg

P

pwlong

Audioholic Intern
Congratulations on the finishing project. They're quite a lot of fun, including the various wrinkles that accompany a construction project. We completed a similar basement finishing project in 2015, including our own theater. I kept a construction journal from design through completion if you're interested -- link at bottom.

Based on the layout shown, it looks like there's a pocket door on the right, correct? Meaning in-wall side surrounds might not be an option.

General thoughts:

- With walls open you can run wire and conduit easily to set yourself up for a phased deployment (5.2 -> 7.2 and beyond)
- Think about whether you will go on-wall, in-wall (depending on design constraints like the doors/windows) or mix-n-match
- Location of subwoofer(s). You want to have several options to try out, to determine the optimal location for the space
- Sounds like Atmos is in your plan with 5.2.4 so check your ceiling layout for placement of the overhead speakers

For my space, which is similar in size to yours, I started out with Atmos support as a design objective. Going into it, I was fairly sure it would work out, but I ended up making adjustments as the project developed.

In the end, we got a 9.1.2 Atmos system that could expand to 9.1.4 or 9.2.4 fairly easily.

http://havingfunalongtheway.com/basement-home-theater-design-construction-series/

Good luck with your project.

D

Derek Remmick

Enthusiast
There is no pocket door just an opening the the living room. In wall sides might be an option but will be forward of the door opening (closer to the screen).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I would suggest planning and wiring for 7.2.4 even if you will not use them all.
Remodeling later to accommodate is a headache.
Do you plan on a large screen TV or projection?
May want to have a projector planned for and wired, as above.

D

Derek Remmick

Enthusiast
The plan is a 135” screen! Are the 2 Atmos speakers in a 5.2.2 in the same place as 7.2.4? Obviously 2 more Atmos speakers are needed.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The plan is a 135” screen! Are the 2 Atmos speakers in a 5.2.2 in the same place as 7.2.4? Obviously 2 more Atmos speakers are needed.
I believe the heights in a 5.1.2 setup are a little closer to the LP than 7.1.4 or even 5.1.4. Also, I need to revisit your pic but it seems rear surrounds would be problematic due to their distance. Fwiw, 5.1.4 is better than 7.1.2 IMO.
Here’s a few visual aids.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
The link is a great resource and if you take your time, everything is in there.

D

Derek Remmick

Enthusiast
The rear surrounds in a 5.1.2 will be angled in wall. Also if I do a 7.1 the left and right surrounds will have to be in ceiling.
5.1.2.jpg
5.1.4.jpg
7.1.2.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ceiling speakers for bed channels in an Atmos system will be useless. I would just stay with 5.1.4 at that point. Rear surround speakers contributions are fairly subtle to begin with although that depends on the soundtrack. The reason atmos works is because of the height differential, so if they’re on the same plane, it won’t work.

D

Derek Remmick

Enthusiast
If my receiver is only capable of 5.1.2 will it make that big of difference if i wire for a 5.1.4 and only use the front 2 for now?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would wire it for sure and since you’re in the early stages try to budget for a 2ch amp or a bigger avr.

D

Derek Remmick

Enthusiast
I would wire it for sure and since you’re in the early stages try to budget for a 2ch amp or a bigger avr.
Sorry I am a total newbie when it comes to audio/video. what does a 2 ch amp do? I assume it ads 2 more channels. I have an Onkyo NR656

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry I am a total newbie when it comes to audio/video. what does a 2 ch amp do? I assume it ads 2 more channels. I have an Onkyo NR656
Sort about that. We sometimes forget people’s knowledge levels. You’re right, it’s an external amp that you can use to add extra channels. As long as you have pre amp outputs on the avr. Not sure the onkyo does. I can’t Check at the moment...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Indeed it does. What I’m trying to find out is how many channels the 656 will process. For example, the denon x4300 will process 11ch(5.1.4 or 7.1.2) but only power 9ch. I’m hoping the onkyo can at least process 9ch so you would be able to simply add an amp. All I can find so far says the 656 is 5.1.2 compatible.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
If your walls are open wire for the maximum option (say 7.4.4 - 7 surround speakers, 4 subwoofers, 4 ceiling) this way it provided you the most flexibility later. Even if you do not use 4 subs now (or ever), having the four different locations will provide you options for the best placement. Also wire power to the ceiling for a projector - ideally back to your central electronics area and your UPS (uninterruptible power supply - surge protector with a battery backup; power outages are really bad for projectors)

Another option (which I did in my last buildout) was to run conduit so you can add/change cable later. This is particularly true for your projector location (i.e. I upgraded from component to HDMI and was able to just pull one cable out and snake a new one in). Also consider running other wires around the room...4-22 for IR controllers; CAT5e/6, RG6 Quad, etc.

The more you can do now with the walls open the better.

If you search through my old posts (i.e. 2004-2005) you will find many of my questions/answers/solutions to building out my old basement into a dedicated home theater.

Good luck!

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I wish I would’ve read this 4 months ago before i finished my 16x35 basement. My goal was to make it better than before. I set up for 5.1 in pvc condiut as well as cat 5e and cable. I wish i put in for all the speakers. Didn’t even know about atmos and multiple subs until i bought a new onkyo tx rz1100 avp on impulse after my 1978 Pioneer reciever blew some transistors last yesr and couldn’t justify paying alot to fix it. Then I realized I don’t know how to use all this stuff on the new AVP. After i went online I found Audioholics and been reading every day for 2 months now. So the point is I’m going to open up my finished walls and ceiling to add more pvc conduit to eventually to have options for more speakers and to utilize two more zones and 2nd tv in basement bathroom by big tub all off the same AVP. Do plan ahead is my recommendation. Thank you all. Audioholics has givin me lotta knowledge since i been a 2 channel my whole life.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis