B

Buddylee

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi. I am a newby and am trying to absorb as much info to make informed choices and purchases as possible. Here's my setup:
Cambridge Soundworks MovieWorks 5.1 speaker system
Sony STR-DE595 receiver
Sony DVP-NS300 DVD
Hitachi 43FWX20B Widescreen HDTV monitor
I want to use component hookups, but the DVD has a Digital Coax out. Is that separate from the video signal? Doesn't component carry audio as well? Can I mix and match between digital coax, component, and S-video? And last, but not least, what guage speaker wire should I be running?
Thanks to any and all who choose to share their expertise!!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Buddylee :
<font color='#008080'>I want to use component hookups, but the DVD has a Digital Coax out.

Digital coax is for audio only and will hook up to your Sony receiver's digital coax input.

Is that separate from the video signal?

Yes. Coax digital audio has no connection with component video.

Doesn't component carry audio as well?

No.

Can I mix and match between digital coax, component, and S-video?

See above. S-video and component video are output from your DVD player at the same time. You will want to hook up the component output of the DVD player directly to the component inputs of your HDTV. Take your cable box' S-video and run it into the S-Video connection of your HDTV. The merely switch the TV inputs when you go from DVD to cable.

And last, but not least, what guage (sic) speaker wire should I be running?

Just buy some 12 gauge wire from Home Depot for your speaker wire. You could also probably find decent interconnects there for yourself that would take care of your video and audio input/output connections as well.</font>

B

Buddylee

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thank you very much!!!! Your reply makes it all much clearer to me. I appreciate your promptness, too. I am trying to figure out which cables to purchase and how to get high quality ones without having to sell what I have to buy them (this is the reason behind the Monster Cable poll)! &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis