New center channel! What a difference.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
For quite sometime now (6 years) I’ve been stuck on the various models of Mirage speakers and have really developed a love for them. I’ve got some of Def Tech’s, Infinity’s, Wharfedale and KEF’s offerings but they sit unused as I just love the Mirage sound. Anyways for the past year and a half I’ve been using the Omni CCB center channel which I know isn’t the best but for my room it really does an excellent job of imaging the dialogue as if it’s coming from the center of my display. Two weeks ago I picked up a Mirage OM-C2 for $292 shipped that was NOS (which I didn’t believe until I got it and it was indeed in the factory box still wrapped) and the difference is NIGHT AND DAY. The C2 is quite an oddity as it uses both a passive radiator and a port as well as being bipolar but it’s by far the best CC I’ve had yet. I do have the OMD C1 but unfortunately when I received it I discovered it had two blown mids so it’s just sat until I can find parts if EVER. Anyways back to the OM, it has one front firing 5.25” woofer with a 1” tweeter and a 5.25” passive radiator, around back you have an identical 5.25” woofer and 1” tweeter only this time paired with what I’m assuming is a 4” port (not sure on size to be honest it’s all covered in a sock). I was surprised to find that going from a 3 way to a very well designed 2 way really brought out more detail and clarity in the CC soundstage. Andrew Welker was really quite the engineer!

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Awesome! I love discovering improvements to the system! Extremely satisfying. Say, how would you describe this "mirage sound"? You've piqued my interest

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
I’ve done many A/B comparisons in my make shift home theater area which honestly isn’t acoustically ideal but I do the best with what I can, and I can tell you that the Mirages I own and use (I have quite a few pairs but started with just the Omni 260 towers & CCB CC) have amazing off axis response compared to some of the direct radiating speakers in my line up, it sounds to me like the soundstage doesn’t change regardless of if I’m in my 1st, 3rd, or 5th seat where as with the direct speakers if I toe them in the outlying seats are always missing some high frequency response. The sound to me is very neutral, not harsh and honestly not bass heavy but the low end is there if you need it ( I cross them over at 80hz except for music in which case I run them as large for music like the Beatles and Modest Mouse and it sounds phenomenal) I’ve read about people saying the imaging isn’t as accurate but when I’m watching a movie or playing an Xbox Game, anytime there’s left to right pans or gunfire that pans around it sounds very accurate to me and I really understand what some reviewers mean when they say “seem less transition between speakers” as it never sounds like one speaker is more announced than the other if that makes sense

D

ddjr

Audioholic
It does make sense. I believe that is "staging", from your description. A friend of mine compared mirage speakers to my micca mb42x speakers as far as sound, because of similar crossovers. Do you have an opinion on this? Do you have a sub in your system?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis