New Canton speakers coming to A4L (I think)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That is correct. The Vento of year 2011 got the new ceramic tweeter and the refresh in 2015 got the titanium membranes.
Let me verify - are you saying that more recent models have Titanium membrane on the tweeters?
Not that I am any expert at materials, but I would think adding a titanium membrane over ceramic would be difficult (maybe they are using Ti over Al in lieu of Ceramic?). I also believe it would be a significant change in sound.
Have you or @snakeeyes listened to a speaker with the Ti membrane tweeter?
Comments?
I am a little shocked that they would mess with such an excellent driver.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Let me verify - are you saying that more recent models have Titanium membrane on the tweeters?
Not that I am any expert at materials, but I would think adding a titanium membrane over ceramic would be difficult (maybe they are using Ti over Al in lieu of Ceramic?). I also believe it would be a significant change in sound.
Have you or @snakeeyes listened to a speaker with the Ti membrane tweeter?
Comments?
I am a little shocked that they would mess with such an excellent driver.
Ah, no, I was unclear. What I meant is that the woofers got titanium membranes.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ah, no, I was unclear. What I meant is that the woofers got titanium membranes.
I wonder how woofer coatings and cabinet changes have evolved on the 830.2 to the 836 to the 836.2 for example. I know they have the same ceramic tweeter.

Okay I’m just really looking forward to my 836. They arrive at the end of this week. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I wonder how woofer coatings and cabinet changes have evolved on the 830.2 to the 836 to the 836.2 for example. I know they have the same ceramic tweeter.

Okay I’m just really looking forward to my 836. They arrive at the end of this week. :)
I'm thinking the titanium membrane is more cosmetic than functional in a mid-woof. There may be a theoretical case for it, but I have a hard time believing it would make a practical difference in the sound!

That said, I do think it looks pretty cool!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'm thinking the titanium membrane is more cosmetic than functional in a mid-woof. There may be a theoretical case for it, but I have a hard time believing it would make a practical difference in the sound!

That said, I do think it looks pretty cool!
My center, Chrono SL 556.2, has the titanium woofers and ceramic tweeter. I’m not able to tell any difference to the woofer in the Vento 820.2 so probably titanium coating isn’t super important. The Vento 836 also has the titanium coating and ceramic tweeter.

It looks like the 2018 models like Vento 836.2 have the screws hidden and slight changes to the cabinets.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
My center, Chrono SL 556.2, has the titanium woofers and ceramic tweeter. I’m not able to tell any difference to the woofer in the Vento 820.2 so probably titanium coating isn’t super important. The Vento 836 also has the titanium coating and ceramic tweeter.

It looks like the 2018 models like Vento 836.2 have the screws hidden and slight changes to the cabinets.
Canton is refreshing the Vento line every three years so it stands to reason that there will not be big changes in every refresh. Since I use the grills the "screwless" fixation of drivers is not important to me, however, the 836 and the 836.2 is no longer offered in high gloss cherry. Only the two largest towers is offered in cherry so I'll have to keep my Vento 858.2 centre and the Vento 820 surrounds (predecessor to 830.2, typical confusing Canton numbering).

From measurements of Vento 896 and 896.2 the latest refresh has a lower impedance of 4 Ohm instead of 3.1 Ohm.

canton_vento_896_2.png
canton_vento_896.png

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Canton is refreshing the Vento line every three years so it stands to reason that there will not be big changes in every refresh. Since I use the grills the "screwless" fixation of drivers is not important to me, however, the 836 and the 836.2 is no longer offered in high gloss cherry. Only the two largest towers is offered in cherry so I'll have to keep my Vento 858.2 centre and the Vento 820 surrounds (predecessor to 830.2, typical confusing Canton numbering).

From measurements of Vento 896 and 896.2 the latest refresh has a lower impedance of 4 Ohm instead of 3.1 Ohm.

View attachment 31946View attachment 31947
Ya confusing but got it now. :)

Then 810 and 820.2 and 826 and 826.2 are 6in and 820 and 830.2 and 836 and 836.2 are 7in. :)

And for the record, my in wall 969 pair for my sides has 6 1/2 in drivers without any titanium coating. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Since this setup was such a success for both music and movies, I decided to try the larger 836 Ventos.

Setup 5.1.4 will be:

Canton Vento 836 mains
Canton Chrono SL 556.2 center
Canton 969 In walls sides
RSL C34E in ceiling x4
Rythmik LVX12 sub (although my dual HSU VTF2 mk5 subs may relocate from my living room at least for comparison)

My 820.2 Ventos will go back to my bedroom 2.1 setup with my Rythmik L12 sealed sub.
I really like the fullness of the sound with the larger 836 Ventos. I ended up putting my crossover at 80hz even though 60hz didn’t sound bad. I watched Alita Battle Angel and the speakers sound awesome in that room. I also listened to a lot of rock songs including Soundgarden and the scale is right for loud listening levels as well as normal levels in the room. The other speakers will be installed soon.

Also I missed the Vento 820.2 in the bedroom 2.1 setup, happy to have them back. :)

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

I was looking at purchasing the Canton Vento Reference 3 DC from A4L. I will be using these in a dedicated two channel system as I am having a studio / office being built in my walk out basement. The room will be 11 x 18 with 8 1/2 ft ceilings.

I love the price for the pair and will probably sell the free center channel that comes with this purchase as I won't need it.

Has anyone on the forum purchase these and what are your impressions so far? Anything else with these quality for the price? Will these go down in price around Thanksgiving or are these at a rock bottom price?

Can't post link as this is my first post.

Thank you,
revrob

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The past couple years the prices dropped 2nd week of December to around Christmas time.

If they run out of an item though, you won’t see it for a few months or maybe longer.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For anyone who has bought one of the Canton Vento or Reference products with the ceramic tweeter and looking for a center, this center channel is a great deal currently at $400:

This is the only Chrono product with the ceramic tweeter showing on the A4L website. I would expect more trickle down into the Chrono series in next year's container shipment(s) from Canton to A4L.
Snakeeyes bought this and feels it is a good timbre match with his Ventos (as I would expect). For me, the Ventos cabinets are very nice, but there is no doubt that they are expensive to construct and a regular box with good bracing would save money, while giving up very little (did someone say A45?).
I don't know that it is a perfect timbral match with Canton's Reference products (things are sketchy on what they add to the Vento experience),but if you are like me and music quality is paramount while happy with a "merely" very good HT capability without having to pay so much, I would think this a good option.

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
I was able to purchase the Canton Reference 3 DC from A4L for a great discount price today. Second time purchasing from them and have been happy with my purchases. Thank for keeping us posted on deals.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I really like the Chrono SL 556.2 center with my Vento 836 speakers. I’m looking at the Chrono SL 516.2 for side surround duty.

I will probably make the in wall 969 into surround back speakers for 7.1

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I got the Chrono SL 516.2 on wall speakers this weekend and installed them for my side surrounds at ear level in my 5.1 setup. I’m really happy to have my 5 bed channels all set.

My plan is to install RSL C34E speakers in the ceiling for 5.1.4 next. I have a couple dozen Atmos and a few DTSX discs. I also have the Apple TV 4K streamer for Netflix / Prime / & Disney+ for Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus. I should have the ceiling speakers installed in the next couple weeks. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis