New bookshelf speakers

N

nyc

Audiophyte
Hello, newbie to this forum looking for basic advice. Maybe an obvious, oft repeated question here, but after searching through this forum I have a basic question or two re searching for new bookshelf speakers and maybe a center channel. For the past 16 years or so, I've used and loved a pair of Boston Acoustic HD-9 speakers. First with a Denon receiver and, in the past few years, with a Maranz A/V receiver (not sure the model . . . I bought this thinking at some point I'd go to a home theater setup).

I just got married and I'm dealing with the wife factor -- who wants something a little less obtrosive than the pretty large 3 way BA speakers. Can anyone offer advice a few suggestions for good bookshelf speakers and maybe a center channel?? What is going to have that nice clean sound of the Bostons?? I'm more interested in what is going to sound great with music (rock and jazz) versus home theater. I'd appreciate a few suggestion under $500 and a few over $500. From this forum, I'm starting to see a few names of internet dealers like Ascend and Axiom, but would appreciate more advice. Thanks so much.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
$500 for all three speakers? Ascend and Axiom are definitely two good choices, however going from towers to bookshelf speakers may leave you a little light on bass and that could mean a sub may need to be factored in as well. The good news is, you don't necessarily need a massive sub to fill in the bottom end, especially when it comes to music. $500 for three: From Ascend, I'd look at the CBM-170SEs - you can get 3 for the front and it should work out great. Axiom, I'd look at the M3 (under $500) or the M22 (over $500 with a center).

If you like the sound of Boston, you might check out their current stuff and see if it fits the bill also.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
im with jgarcia, the CBM-170SEs is a well regarded speaker, and an excellent value.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
They are not sold singly, but two pairs of Cambridge Audio S30s would run you $440 on sale. These sound incredible, and are small. (I owned Boston A60s, with 8" woofers, for many years and consider these a huge step up in every area, including bass.)
For $600/pr (without the center), you could get B&W 685s. These are the only bookshelves under $800 that, to me, offer serious competition to the S30s.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Good suggestions so far. PSB has a reputation for making musically accurate speakers so maybe something in that line? Unfortunately I havn't listened to many PSBs.

Fred

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
Good suggestions so far. PSB has a reputation for making musically accurate speakers so maybe something in that line? Unfortunately I havn't listened to many PSBs.

Fred
As a PSB owner I agree. Have heard many good things about the Ascend 170's, and don't know if TAI still has a sale on Swan, if they do check them out.

R

remsleep

Audiophyte
I just got married and I'm dealing with the wife factor -- who wants something a little less obtrosive than the pretty large 3 way BA speakers.
Don't look for that wife factor to fade away any time soon. My wife of 30+ years has informed me she would rather my beloved 1978 Infinity Qa speakers were not part of the new system I'm putting together. (How can she say that? Has she no soul?!) Same objection - size.

I know you specified bookshelf, but IF you were going to put them on stands anyway you might consider a small tower. Especially since you said they would be used mostly for music and didn't mention a subwoofer. It took me a while to work it out, but I realized that if you think of a small tower as nothing but a bookshelf speaker with better bass and a built-in stand.... I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a pair of PSB T-45s in the next few days. 7 inches wide, 37 inches high, good bass down to about 40hz, and $500-600 if you shop around.

You could always go for something with a really nice finish to improve the PSA (probability of spousal approval). A pair of x-sls towers from AV123, with that beautiful Palisander Rosa satin veneer, would set you back $500.

Happy hunting!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
PSB Image B25s are a great musical speaker that deos equally well with HT. Definately put them on your audition list . :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't look for that wife factor to fade away any time soon. My wife of 30+ years has informed me she would rather my beloved 1978 Infinity Qa speakers were not part of the new system I'm putting together. (How can she say that? Has she no soul?!) Same objection - size.

I know you specified bookshelf, but IF you were going to put them on stands anyway you might consider a small tower. Especially since you said they would be used mostly for music and didn't mention a subwoofer. It took me a while to work it out, but I realized that if you think of a small tower as nothing but a bookshelf speaker with better bass and a built-in stand.... I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a pair of PSB T-45s in the next few days. 7 inches wide, 37 inches high, good bass down to about 40hz, and $500-600 if you shop around.

You could always go for something with a really nice finish to improve the PSA (probability of spousal approval). A pair of x-sls towers from AV123, with that beautiful Palisander Rosa satin veneer, would set you back $500.

Happy hunting!
I own a pair of T45s and with the exception of pipe organ music and rap, where the bass maybe a little lacking, there is nothing that this speaker can't do well.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Onix Ref and ELT

I use a pair on Onix Ref 1's for my mains with the matching Ref 100 center from AV123. They are in large 2-way bookshelf category. They retail significantly higher, but are avaialbe for $5-600 used. I recently picked up the new ELT525's for my surround channels. They offer good performance in a much smaller package for $300/pair. Matching center and floorstanders will be out soon.

Also, the real cherry or rosewood veneer helps with the WAF.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was going to meniton the X-SLS and even the Encore X-LS also, as the finishes alone usually have very high WAF. Good speakers too.

I haven't heard the ELT525s, but the former ELTs were very decent speakers.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Axiom, Aperion, and Av123 are my ID picks. I do like the av123 ELT525 speakers. They're small speakers, but they surprisingly beat out my Monitor Audio BR2's in some areas.

PSB Image and Monitor Audio Bronze are my B&M picks.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
There are many good suggestions here. I would also like to mention the all new Paradigm Monitor Series as well as the Polk RTi series speakers. Some say the RTi speakers are not that great for music but I find that they are fine. The Polk RTi4's or even the RTi6's can still be found for very good prices. I just sold a brand new set of the RTi4's myself. I must say that I have never heard the Ascend CBM-170's but many find them quite musical. My advice is to try to listen to as many as you can in order to determine what YOU like best and what YOU prefer. We all have different tastes. Good luck in your decision.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I just got married and I'm dealing with the wife factor -- who wants something a little less obtrosive than the pretty large 3 way BA speakers. Can anyone offer advice a few suggestions for good bookshelf speakers and maybe a center channel?? What is going to have that nice clean sound of the Bostons?? I'm more interested in what is going to sound great with music (rock and jazz) versus home theater. I'd appreciate a few suggestion under $500 and a few over $500. From this forum, I'm starting to see a few names of internet dealers like Ascend and Axiom, but would appreciate more advice. Thanks so much.[/QUOTE]

Just click on the link in my signature, show it to your wife, and tell her your infinity's are mini speakers!

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
I own a pair of T45s and with the exception of pipe organ music and rap, where the bass maybe a little lacking, there is nothing that this speaker can't do well.
Happy T45 owner here, and because of their not so big size the wife agreed on them, rather than on-walls. The "problems" mentioned by 3db can be easily handled by a good sub. I have HSU VTF2-MKIII, and very happy with its performance.

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
I just got married and I'm dealing with the wife factor -- who wants something a little less obtrosive than the pretty large 3 way BA speakers. Can anyone offer advice a few suggestions for good bookshelf speakers and maybe a center channel?? What is going to have that nice clean sound of the Bostons?? I'm more interested in what is going to sound great with music (rock and jazz) versus home theater. I'd appreciate a few suggestion under $500 and a few over $500. From this forum, I'm starting to see a few names of internet dealers like Ascend and Axiom, but would appreciate more advice. Thanks so much.
Just click on the link in my signature, show it to your wife, and tell her your infinity's are mini speakers![/QUOTE]

The mentioned ELT525 are small and very good sounding, but no center at this time. You might want to check PSB Alpha B1 and it's center, very well reviewed speaker. PSB B25 is a large bookshelf, but check the B15. If your wife makes you go for something small, check KEF 2000's.

Be advised that it doesn't matter which bookshelf, on-wall, or mini system you choose they will greatly benefit from a good quality sub. Another WAF theme of discussion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis