New Bookshelf speaker advice

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
So I plan to buy a new pair of bookshelf speakers.
I am likely going with something from accessories4less.

Strongly looking at the LS50s. Although Focal Aria is also intriguing. I don’t really want to go over $800. They will be supplemented with a sub or maybe 2 depending of how I finalize my layout. Also. I have Canton Vento Towers and Chrono bookshelves already so not really wanting more of Canton at the moment. I see the Deftechs also.

I do like the compact size of the KEF future placement options.

Thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Strongly looking at the LS50s. Although Focal Aria is also intriguing. I don’t really want to go over $800. They will be supplemented with a sub or maybe 2 depending of how I finalize my layout. Also. I have Canton Vento Towers and Chrono bookshelves already so not really wanting more of Canton at the moment. I see the Deftechs also.

Thoughts???

I will look forward to your comments on the Cantons vs whatever you get!

I actually tried the LS-50's twice! They just did not work well for me. I could tell that they did lots of things very well, but at the end of the day, it always sounded like the instruments were in the next room and I was watching through an open doorway. I assume this has something to do with their dispersion and a trumpet (as if pointed at me) sounded pretty good, but a piano sounded totally "one room over" with the in-room ambiance missing!
I'm not saying don't get them; there are a ton of experienced listeners who love them. However, I would encourage you to get these from a place with a satisfaction guarantee and no restocking fee, if possible.

Ahh, I see that A4L has them refurbished for $750! I suspect you could get that on Craigslist since these have such a good reputation. I think @PENG suggested crossing to a subwoofer at 100 or 110Hz to prevent the 5" woofer from being taxed. You definitely want a sub.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Aria, but they are nice looking!

Definitely doesn't hurt to use a sub and cross well above 80Hz!:

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Thanks for the input. I can easily cross them at 100-120 hz.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

Thoughts???

What are they for a newer setup or just curious and bored about KEF?

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
What are they for a newer setup or just curious and bored about KEF?
Pretty much the latter. Just looking for a new set of speakers to try. I just sold my Carnegie Acoustic bookshelf’s. So need a replacement. Will be for mainly music. Some movies and tv.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Pretty much the latter. Just looking for a new set of speakers to try. I just sold my Carnegie Acoustic bookshelf’s. So need a replacement. Will be for mainly music. Some movies and tv.

Hold on another couple of days and I will have compared the Elac DBR-62's with my Vento's.

I was not impressed by the Andrew Jones Elacs I have heard - the original Debut and the UniFi (although I did feel the AJ pioneers were best for their price-point.
In the below review, Amir got my attention because nearly everyone else hyped the earlier Elacs as "game-changers". But Amir said:
So far my reviews of other Andrew Jones speakers has not resulted in any star performers. Some have actually been disappointing. Will the DBR-62 be an exception? Let's find out.

I was "over" AJ, and am getting a little sick of hearing reviewers everything AJ does is amazing - kind of like Stepford wives - when my experience is they are decent speakers, but not going to embarrass other good speakers at the same price!
Hearing that someone who was not impressed with the others, but really liked this one piqued my curiosity so I ordered a pair from Crutchfield (who charges a flat $15 restocking fee and they pay return shipping if i don't like). I have listened to them for a few songs and I think they are, indeed, nice speakers, but I cannot pass judgement on a speaker without another speaker to compare it directly to. The Cantons are an obvious challenger since they are in the same $600 price range and are my current champion at this price!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hold on another couple of days and I will have compared the Elac DBR-62's with my Vento's.

I was not impressed by the Andrew Jones Elacs I have heard - the original Debut and the UniFi (although I did feel the AJ pioneers were best for their price-point.
In the below review, Amir got my attention because nearly everyone else hyped the earlier Elacs as "game-changers". But Amir said:

I was "over" AJ, and am getting a little sick of hearing reviewers everything AJ does is amazing - kind of like Stepford wives - when my experience is they are decent speakers, but not going to embarrass other good speakers at the same price!
Hearing that someone who was not impressed with the others, but really liked this one piqued my curiosity so I ordered a pair from Crutchfield (who charges a flat $15 restocking fee and they pay return shipping if i don't like). I have listened to them for a few songs and I think they are, indeed, nice speakers, but I cannot pass judgement on a speaker without another speaker to compare it directly to. The Cantons are an obvious challenged since they are in the same $600 price range and are my current champion at this price!
This comment caught my attention too.

"A higher preference rating than the Revel M16. Wow. We are now there, folks."

Pretty high praise. Now I want to hear them, lol.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic

Thoughts???

Salk BMR.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Those are nice but a smidge over my $800 budget

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Never considered outlaw for speakers . Just subs and amps.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic

Thoughts???

You might take a look at the Revel M16. They list at $450 each, but can be had for less from dealers Well under your budget delivered. They measure very well As measured at audiosciencereview. LINK

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I will look into the rebels. Thanks.

I have been reading various reviews out there the past days and am now swaying toward the Focals.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I tell ya I have found not one negative review or hardly even a negative comment on these Focals

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
So I bit the bullet just ordered the Aria in the dark walnut open box for $799. I can’t believe Crutchfield is asking $2000 for new pairs.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
So I bit the bullet just ordered the Aria in the dark walnut open box for $799. I can’t believe Crutchfield is asking $2000 for new pairs.

Let us know how you like them and if you have any way to measure them in your room. It would be interesting to see in room measurements.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I might be able to measure. I did buy a mic and used it cal my subs. Never done anything with speakers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Let us know how you like them and if you have any way to measure them in your room. It would be interesting to see in room measurements.
In-room measurements aren't going to tell you much about the speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis