New Bookshelf build with Esoteric and Corundum Drivers

123Toid

123Toid

Audioholic Intern
Recently I designed a new build using the Dayton Esoteric and Peerless Corundum drivers for a YouTuber named Doublsmm. He wanted me to design him some new bookshelf speakers for his theater. So I designed him 3 identical fronts using the 7" Esoteric driver and two rears using the esoteric 5" driver. Overall I think they came out really nice. He kept his sealed, but I ported mine. And I must say, I really love the Eso 7's ported. They have a real nice smooth sound to them. But I was a little disappointed with how they measured. They have a nasty peak right around 1khz (which is very audible. But once I got that tamed down, they really came alive. Here is a basic build video. I'll post some photos of the drivers down under.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What's the point of this other than a shilling and/or tooting your own horn?
I visited your blog and plans, measurements, nor models are nowhere to be found. Just a bunch of Ads and tracking links. Zero meat. Any moron could build a simple box and throw in two random drivers in it.
Show us why this box, why these drivers. How did you design the crossover... etc..

123Toid

123Toid

Audioholic Intern
What's the point of this other than a shilling and/or tooting your own horn?
I visited your blog and plans, measurements, nor models are nowhere to be found. Just a bunch of Ads and tracking links. Zero meat. Any moron could build a simple box and throw in two random drivers in it.
Show us why this box, why these drivers. How did you design the crossover... etc..
That is interesting, as I teach crossover design. It is a custom crossover designed specifically for these speakers. I take all my measurements with the Dayton Omnimic and use Dats V2 for my T/S specs. This particular box was tuned Chebyshev to 32hz. I have a basic final frequency response, but it doesn't sound like you are actually interested in it. Interestingly enough, no kits sold through DIY sound group, meniscus audio or parts express offer any of the graphs you are asking for. I will tell you though, that whoever I design the speakers for gets all the graphs they want before I finalize a build. Not to mention I share the FRD and ZMA files for everyone to use.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you just answer BoredSys' questions without answering his questions..?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Cool vid. Enjoyed watching it. Didn't really teach me anything though. Not meaning to pile on, here, sorry.

I'm very eager to learn more about DIY speaker design and building. Good workshop videos and tutorials seem to not exist. :(
Would love to know about your philosophy and choices here. Can only guess you used a notch filter to tame that peak you mentioned, but would have been super cool to see that explained, along with more on your XO process, too.

Best,
R

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That is interesting, as I teach crossover design. It is a custom crossover designed specifically for these speakers. I take all my measurements with the Dayton Omnimic and use Dats V2 for my T/S specs. This particular box was tuned Chebyshev to 32hz. I have a basic final frequency response, but it doesn't sound like you are actually interested in it. Interestingly enough, no kits sold through DIY sound group, meniscus audio or parts express offer any of the graphs you are asking for. I will tell you though, that whoever I design the speakers for gets all the graphs they want before I finalize a build. Not to mention I share the FRD and ZMA files for everyone to use.
Final FR would also be interested to see, As I've mentioned, measurement (with on-axis FR is probably most interesting with impedance slopes as the second one) would be interesting to see. It seems like your generally know what you doing (unlike MANY MANY others who do just throw few drivers at random box) but please, this is a highly technical audio site. If you're posting in DIY forums here, we expect to see many more details.
If you concerned about your design being commercial, that's fine, don't share some key parts like exact box measurements or exact xover electrical design, but there are tons of other info you could share and we highly expect it.

123Toid

123Toid

Audioholic Intern
Cool vid. Enjoyed watching it. Didn't really teach me anything though. Not meaning to pile on, here, sorry.

I'm very eager to learn more about DIY speaker design and building. Good workshop videos and tutorials seem to not exist. :(
Would love to know about your philosophy and choices here. Can only guess you used a notch filter to tame that peak you mentioned, but would have been super cool to see that explained, along with more on your XO process, too.

Best,
R
No worries. If you would like to learn the basics of crossover design, I did a series on it here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6hjpiCHZmIPx3itPeTt7zoSqNY20OQqV There is a lot to learn, but most it is attainable. It is important to note, that even thought I teach with manufacturers graphs, you shouldn't rely on them. Taking your own measurements is really the only way to do it properly. I teach with those, since everyone has access to them and it is easy to follow along. One of the ones I think most people underestimate is Z-offset which is, the last video there. There is a ton of videos on my channel to help you learn if you are interested. Most of my video's revolve around that. Just not this one :p

As far as that peak I mentioned, you could use a notch filter and in some people's designs, that might be necessary. I was able to get away with a simple zobel, but a lot of that was due to the low FS and distortion of the Corundum tweeter. many tweeters, this would not have been feasible to do with. And a lot of people may choose to use the Esoteric more in a 3-way, as it is definitely not a beginner driver for a 2-way system.

123Toid

123Toid

Audioholic Intern
Final FR would also be interested to see, As I've mentioned, measurement (with on-axis FR is probably most interesting with impedance slopes as the second one) would be interesting to see. It seems like your generally know what you doing (unlike MANY MANY others who do just throw few drivers at random box) but please, this is a highly technical audio site. If you're posting in DIY forums here, we expect to see many more details.
If you concerned about your design being commercial, that's fine, don't share some key parts like exact box measurements or exact xover electrical design, but there are tons of other info you could share and we highly expect it.
I'll see what I already have measured. I no longer have the 5.5" drivers. I gave those away. I typically do giveaways on drivers that I get, since I don't need all of them. The 7" I still have. IMO they are the better speakers overall, as they were designed for full-range duty. This is with no port or near field spliced in.
Response2.jpg

Last edited:
123Toid

123Toid

Audioholic Intern
It seems like your generally know what you doing (unlike MANY MANY others who do just throw few drivers at random box)
Yeah my last speakers I designed, the Dinas, were invited to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest so HiFi enthusiasts could hear what you could do with DIY. It was really neat, to hear how well they were received.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis