N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
I find it difficult to comment on them without sounding like a drooling, slobbering fan boy, but I’ll try!

They are perfect! Okay, not actually perfect in every sense of the word, but they are very close to perfect within their design window. For example, I have them set up in a small room. I’m not sure how they’d do in a large room.

They are probably not the best choice for someone who prefers “bright” speakers or some other nonlinear response.

Also, I was not expecting them to hit low bass so I have them set up with a pair of Hsu ULS-15 MK2 subs (ported subs would have been my first choice but there are severe space constraints at my cottage).

At the risk of derailing this thread, getting the subs to play nice with the BMRs has proven to be challenge. I’ve tried a zillion different crossovers and sub settings and I can’t get it quite right. I really need to take some measurements and figure out what is actually going on (Part of the problem is that I’m only at the cottage on weekends and I typically just want to kick my feet up in front of the fireplace and watch a game
Derail away. All I need are the dimensions of the boxes once you get back home.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's always possible that the boxes are not of the exact same size. Why not use a compass? Unless the drivers were shielded which is unlikely nowadays, the drivers magnets would definitely get the compass needle to rotate to indicate the North position in their direction. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's always possible that the boxes are not of the exact same size. Why not use a compass? Unless the drivers were shielded which is unlikely nowadays, the drivers magnets would definitely get the compass needle to rotate to indicate the North position in their direction. :D
Gonna have to try that....

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
@Mr._Clark
Did you bring them home with you? Left them at the cottage?
(What's the address?)

:oops::eek::eek:

;):p:cool:
Did I mention that I have 8 security cameras at my cottage and the neighbor has a mean dog? (I'm not exaggerating, I literally have 8 security cameras I monitor remotely)(okay, I'll admit the neighbor's dog isn't actually all that mean but he has scared off would-be intruders in the past)

All seriousness aside, I've been toying with the idea of getting another pair of BMRs to replace some in-wall speakers in one of the systems at my house. However, as much as I like the sound, I have to admit I am somewhat reluctant to put free standing speakers in my living room.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Gonna have to try that....
Magnetic field of a ferrite magnet is all around the magnet, and that is why that in the CRT TV screen era, speaker drivers had to be shielded to prevent them from affecting TV image.
With Alnico magnets, the problem did not exist as their magnetic field is concentrated on the voice coil area. I suspect that a neodymium magnet would have a similar behavior to that of the ferrite magnet, but I haven't been able to find the answer on the web. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Magnetic field of a ferrite magnet is all around the magnet, and that is why that in the CRT TV screen era, speaker drivers had to be shielded to prevent them from affecting TV image.
With Alnico magnets, the problem did not exist as their magnetic field is concentrated on the voice coil area. I suspect that a neodymium magnet would have a similar behavior to that of the ferrite magnet, but I haven't been able to find the answer on the web. :)
Just never occurred to me to bring a compass near a speaker more than anything. So I just did with the only compass I have, a cheap REI keychain giveaway, and I was surprised to see it reacted near my speakers but took a pretty close swing. I wonder how a more sensitive compass might react and from what distance now....but not likely to find out as I have no use for such a compass....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis