New Arcam CDS50, Tray won't stay closed!!!!

T

Tweaked

Junior Audioholic
Hey everyone, I just got my CDS50 and hooked it up, but I'm having an issue with it. I haven't even been able to listen to it yet. As soon as I power it in, the tray opens and it says "No Disc". If I close it (whether by the remote, button on the front, or pushing the tray closed) it opens back up automatically. I can't get into any settings menu or anything. I've tried unplugging it for about a half an hour and plugging it back in, but no change. I can't find any way to reset it. Please help! I just want to listen to it.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hey everyone, I just got my CDS50 and hooked it up, but I'm having an issue with it. I haven't even been able to listen to it yet. As soon as I power it in, the tray opens and it says "No Disc". If I close it (whether by the remote, button on the front, or pushing the tray closed) it opens back up automatically. I can't get into any settings menu or anything. I've tried unplugging it for about a half an hour and plugging it back in, but no change. I can't find any way to reset it. Please help! I just want to listen to it.
Have you tried unplugging it for 15 seconds or so, and plugging it back? That might have settled the problem.

When an electronic apparatus freezes, and that includes computers, most of the time just unplugging it for several seconds solves the situation. It's always good to try it before concluding that you have a big problem. However, if the problem recurs frequently, then it's an obvious defect.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The unit is faulty. Return it and get your money back.

The late Ted Perry who founded the record label Hyperion had a law, now known as Perry's law. It states: - The quality of a CD player is inversely proportional to the cost!"

What he found was that when he had a return from a customer because his CD would not play, then almost invariably the player was a very costly boutique brand.

The cost of your player is ridiculous. It will perform worse then a cheap one. I admit they are endangered species so you will probably have to settle for a BD/SACD player. Sony make a couple of satisfactory ones.

As another anecdote, when I had to service a friends disc player for a minor problem, I found that this very costly MAC disc player had the cheapest Sanyo transport. I just found this further verification of Perry's law.

You have in a way been ripped off. However Arcam will have low production volume and have no economies of scale, and so cost will be higher. However in the case of a disc player, the rule "bits are bits" applies. This means that a high priced player like that has zero advantage and is likely a detriment.

T

Tweaked

Junior Audioholic
I sent the unit back and am awaiting a replacement.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis