R

Redbone

Audioholic
Hello I am looking for a new A/V receiver that would be the best match for the following.

1. My speakers are JM Labs Chorus S all around and have a rating of 90dB

2. I listen to 60/40 music movies.

3. Musicical sound quality are very important as well as clean power

4. Room size is 18x12. Prefer volume around 80dB

5. looked at Yami 1400, Marantz 5400, HK 430, Onkyo 701 '

I am open to any suggestion as to which receiver will give me the fullest, most natural, sound quality.

R

Redbone

Audioholic
Any help would be appreciated I am thinking of the Arcam AVR250 or 300 and if that fails I will just revert back to my original choice of the Denon 3805.

Help is really appreciated. I don't know if my speakers are laid back, bright or whatever. Trying to match the best A/V receiver combo.

With my current NAD unit the music seems a bit laid back, but that could be a power issue with 70wpc the NAD 753 has ?? I am seeking a more powerful three dimensional sound, that is musical and a bit more forward.

I would consider anything including the B&K 307.

D

David Dryden

Enthusiast
I cannot speak to the other receivers that you are considering, but I have a Denon 3805 and couldn't be happier. It replaced an older Onkyo Pro-Logic unit that I have always thought sounded good. What a difference! The Denon is much more open and dynamic. More power doesn't hurt either as I'm using a pair of Vandersteen 2Ci's as mains. I haven't even tried the biamp trick yet.

From what I've read about Yamaha, they have a bit more "sparkle" in the upper end, whereas Denon has a warmer and more detailed midrange. I'm sure someone will chime in that can talk more about your options...

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
do you need a third room or the Denon link ? if not, save $200 by getting a 2805 instead of a 3805 :)

R

Redbone

Audioholic
No I am very basic when it comes to surround reciever. Sound quality is the prime concern. I prefer 5.1 over 7.1 and only need one zone two zone is great but I won't use it.

I was in Cambridge Soundworks this evening and the salesman told me that the Marantz 7400 is the exact same unit internally at the Denon 3805 sans the bells and whistles, auto calibration etc....

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Redbone said:
Any help would be appreciated I am thinking of the Arcam AVR250 or 300 and if that fails I will just revert back to my original choice of the Denon 3805.

Help is really appreciated. I don't know if my speakers are laid back, bright or whatever.
Here is the issue as I see it. You don't know what your speakers sound like and you are trying fine tune your sound with a receiver. Ninety five percent of what you hear is speakers and room acoustics. The receiver just does not have that much to do with it. And NAD has excellent reputation as building great receivers BTW. I know this is not what you want to hear, but you would get far, far better improvements in sound by keeping the NAD and spending your hard earned dollars on speakers and room treatments

R

Redbone

Audioholic
NAD does make great stuff but the QC issues ruin it for many including myself. The popping in the speakers is a common problem but beside that fact I do not feel the unit has enough power for my tastes. I have to dig way into it to get the kind of room filling levels I want.

I am appreciative of the comments Nick but I do not feel it is room treatments, I am certainly not at that level yet. I just want a receiver with more power and enveloping sound. BTW I was told by the boutique owner that sold me the system- that most of the sound quality has do to the amp or receiver driving the speakers. He told me this when I commented on how much I liked my speakers.

None the less I am going to audition the Denon 2805, 3805 and Yami 2400 today and in a few days the Arcam avr250.

I am interested in Rotel but the salesman who is advising me said that they are not very good sounding compared to others- including Arcam? Don't know what to think of that.

dm_4u

dm_4u

Junior Audioholic
The Yamaha 2400 blows the doors off the Denon's when it comes to movies, period.

Music is all a matter of taste.

R

Redbone

Audioholic
I agree about the Yami, I did hear the Denon and was completely impressed with the unit it had plenty of power and all the features you could ever need. The salesman was not even interested in demoing the RX2500 because he said the Denon was that good. It was that is....

Until I went to the next store and took home an Arcam AVR200 for Demo. Wow, is the music on this thing incredible, trashes every other A/V receiver I have heard to date IMHO. The Toroidal transformer really makes a difference so powerful yet true to life- like being in the club with Stevie Ray. It is rather late at night in my duplex so I have not really gotten a chance to stretch its legs but I cant wait. It is producing 75dB at less than half volume rite now so I am sure it will really whale, when I can zap some juice through it.

The best part is that I can use my analog Burr Brown 192/24 bit outputs from my Yami DVD player and still get my sub to work. WOW

Have not tried movies yet but i am sure it is good. It just makes you want to listen all night long and get up and dance. :D :D I swear it is almost like a tube amplifier.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
dm_4u said:
The Yamaha 2400 blows the doors off the Denon's when it comes to movies, period.

Music is all a matter of taste.
Funny- I thought the Denon was slightly better at movies and much better at music (and I *really* wanted to like the Yammie instead of the 3805). Sounds like a good reason for everyone to demo accordingly. I have heard the Arcam stuff (there's a dealer here in Denver) and it IS terrific; but some of the features I wanted pushed the Arcam out of my price range.

Bryan...maybe one day...

R

Redbone

Audioholic
Yeah, the sales guys are all about the Denon- The sound and H/T to my ears was the best I have heard from a mass marketed unit. There are those though who stick by Yami- Saw a guy when I was there come in and buy the Yami RX2500 on the spot without demoing it.

The Arcam are a bit short on Features compared to the Yami and Denon but the musical ability is exceptional even on DVD movies. Power is superb on my AVR 200 for my 90dB rated speakers. This piece really reminds me of a tube amp in a lot of ways.

IMHO I cannot understand how you can even compare it to the Denon 3805 in sound quality. The Denon is awesome but it can't duplicate that tube sound that the Arcam does. Most Impressive.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Redbone said:
IMHO I cannot understand how you can even compare it to the Denon 3805 in sound quality. The Denon is awesome but it can't duplicate that tube sound that the Arcam does. Most Impressive.
Not everyone prefers "tube sound".

A

atm495

Audiophyte
RE: Arcam AVR300

newbie here...

after six months of reading everything I could put my hands on from customer statements to professional reviews, I ordered the Arcam AVR300 and DV79 today.

what led me to this decision was the amazing sound. its probably more receiver than I'll ever need, but I doubt I'll be unhappy.

considered rotel, nad, yamaha, onkyo, denon, cambridge audio and in the end, i just decided to go with the arcam based on my attraction and gut feel that this is what i wanted. it sounded amazing, but my ear isn't the best trained at this point. i've been listening to a yamaha stereo receiver for so long on a pair of LX44 JBLs, that all of these brands sounded excellent. A confluence of feelings about the sound of movies and music, the latter of which I wil spend 75% of my time listening to, led me to choose the Arcam.

It's amazing.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Redbone said:
NAD does make great stuff but the QC issues ruin it for many including myself. The popping in the speakers is a common problem but beside that fact I do not feel the unit has enough power for my tastes. I have to dig way into it to get the kind of room filling levels I want.

I am appreciative of the comments Nick but I do not feel it is room treatments, I am certainly not at that level yet. I just want a receiver with more power and enveloping sound. BTW I was told by the boutique owner that sold me the system- that most of the sound quality has do to the amp or receiver driving the speakers. He told me this when I commented on how much I liked my speakers.

None the less I am going to audition the Denon 2805, 3805 and Yami 2400 today and in a few days the Arcam avr250.

I am interested in Rotel but the salesman who is advising me said that they are not very good sounding compared to others- including Arcam? Don't know what to think of that.

Have you had quality issues with your NAD? If not, you don't have that as an issue, right?

I have to agree with Nick and known audio science. It ain't your amps that you have the real issues with. It is the speaker, the room acoustics or a combination. And, if you have the right speaker sensitivity, you didn't tell us about its impedance though, your NAD is more than powerfull enough, regardless of your perception otherwise. A 30 watt increase in power is a bit over a 1 dB spl increase, hardly noticable.

How do you know it is not the room treatment? In reality, that is most likely the issue. But, again, your perception may be at fault and misleading you to the problems and issues.

Your sales salon is misleading you a 100%. They have ZERO clue!!! Maybe you should change salons?
If you accept their input, not much more we can help you with and we will be in conflict with them from the sound of their recommendations.
It is us or them :confused:

C

cstanley

Enthusiast
Redbone said:
redbone -

what NAD receiver do you have (or did you test for the above comments)?
with a 90db sensitive speaker the 753 (75w), 763 (100w) or 773 (110w)
all should be enough, esp since NAD rate their wattage with all channels
being driven at the same time. i know that NAD had some QC problems a
few years ago, i've heard that the last 2 gen haven't had those issues
tho (the 7x2 & 7x3, ie 752 & 753).

i would think that arcam, rotel & nad are all about the same quality of
sound, a jump up from denon/yamaha/HK. differences in amp sound
are not as much as differences in speakers, although they do exist,
and its mainly to do with the power supplies then the amps themselves.

-carl

F

Falp

Audioholic Intern
If you care for features and sound quality in music and movies I would take a look at the new Maratnz SR7500.

At a bigger budget Maratnz 8500, Rotel 1056, or Arcam 250/300...

The Denon 3805 is a great machine but ultimately no match for these in music...

D

Don Harris

Audioholic Intern
You have the NAD T753? You listen to mostly music? Dude, your receiver puts out 90 wpc in stereo mode. The 70wpc you mentioned is when all channels are drive at once. I may be wrong here, but what could be playing movie or music that would require all channels to be on at once?

I agree with others, your amp is a sufficient enough, purchase some room treatment or new speakers. If room treatment is too ugly, get creative with decore.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Im gonna agree with some of the others here. Your receiver is fine. Go with room treatments and or new speakers. I just treated my room and it was the best money I ever spent.

Cheers,
Glenn

F

Falp

Audioholic Intern
Room treatments are as simple as using plants in corners, more wood instead of glass , carpets instead of tile, and be carefull with empty walls and glass covered paintings :eek: ......

Following these guidelines you'll end up with a better sounding and looking room... ;)

D

Don Harris

Audioholic Intern
atm495 said:
newbie here...

its probably more receiver than I'll ever need, but I doubt I'll be unhappy.
Not more than you will ever need, just more than you are use to is all.
That's all that matters is that you enjoy the sound that amp produces.
Congradualtions on your purchase.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis