Network Switch for Home Theater equipment

P

Pankake

Enthusiast
I know Network switch is not on a lot of minds when building a home theater, but I hope somebody can steer me in the right direction. I built a new house just recently and when I was building it, I had run Cat6 cable to every room for all my Tv's and all my audio equipment. I also have installed ( 2) WAP'S One outside and one inside, and( 4) Cat6 cables for hard wired POE camera's. I currently have( 13) Cat6 cables in my media closet along with 8 Rg6 cables. But for the time being I am concerned only with my Cat 6 cables because I went the route of streaming all my TV'S. So I was hoping that someone out there could recommend a good reliable 16 port POE unmanaged network switch for my system.
Thanks Mark

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'd go bigger than 16 ports if it were me, and I'd go POE as well just to have fewer devices to deal with.

I recently converted to a TP-Link Omada setup at the recommendation of some other members and am happy so far. Granted, it's day 1, but so far it's been so simple that I'm pretty impressed.

They have switches for any size you'd need so I'd recommend looking at some of the larger models.

P

Pankake

Enthusiast
I'd go bigger than 16 ports if it were me, and I'd go POE as well just to have fewer devices to deal with.

I recently converted to a TP-Link Omada setup at the recommendation of some other members and am happy so far. Granted, it's day 1, but so far it's been so simple that I'm pretty impressed.

They have switches for any size you'd need so I'd recommend looking at some of the larger models.
Ok sounds great thank you for your knowledge really appreciate it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You can also use a larger switch near the router if you have several nodes and another switch at each node, as long as you don't stack switches on other switches- they should all be connected to the router or main switch on their own ports.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I know Network switch is not on a lot of minds when building a home theater, but I hope somebody can steer me in the right direction. I built a new house just recently and when I was building it, I had run Cat6 cable to every room for all my Tv's and all my audio equipment. I also have installed ( 2) WAP'S One outside and one inside, and( 4) Cat6 cables for hard wired POE camera's. I currently have( 13) Cat6 cables in my media closet along with 8 Rg6 cables. But for the time being I am concerned only with my Cat 6 cables because I went the route of streaming all my TV'S. So I was hoping that someone out there could recommend a good reliable 16 port POE unmanaged network switch for my system.
Thanks Mark
You have gone about this the correct way. I also made my main studio theater system the ethernet hub of the home.

I used a Cable Matters patch bay and two Tp-link SG 1016 Ethernet switchers, one for the house like generator, burglar alarms etc. and to go to the remote switches in the two remote AV systems and the office. The other SG 1016 is in the main AV rack for the home theater. Every fixed unit in the home is hard wired, and only portable units use Wi-Fi. The system has been very stable. We use the Netgear Orbi mesh router system, with hard wired units on each floor. Coverage is excellent with zero dead spots and zero issues in 30 months of use now.

These pictures were taken during the build out.

The nice thing about using 19" racks is the equipment can me mounted both sides. The patch bay and switches face the mechanical chase, and are not visible from the studio.

One switch is in the first AV rack, and the other switch and patch bay are in the third AV rack under the silver colored reel to reel tape deck.

That keeps everything easily accessible and hidden from the room.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Thanks Mark
I recently had to expand my switch from 8 to 16. The control4 dealer that installed the original switch recommended I go with “netgear” brand as they have found them to be the most reliable open market brand. They installed a dealer-only Araknis brand.

P

Pankake

Enthusiast
Ok glad to hear I went about it the right way, before I was in a home in Illinois, have now retired and have moved to FT Lauderdale Florida. When my wife and I built this house, or rebuilt this house I should say, I did a lot of research in what and how I was going to hard wire the house myself with the help of my brother in-law. I spent the good part of 4 days completing the project. I have to say your build looks amazing, did you do that all yourself. I wish I had a dedicated space like yours. Unfortunately my home theater space is my family room so there is only so much I could do. Thanks for your knowledge and input I really appreciate it. Love the Reel to Reels Reminds me of my Dad he used to have them along with many other Strereo components. That is how I got interested in audio and video.
Thanks Mark

Yamaha CX-A5200 Processer, Monolith 7 channel 200 watt Amp. Monolith 9 Channel 200 watt x 3, 100 Watt x 6 channel Amp, Reavon Ubr X200 4K Blu-Ray Player, Hi Fi Rose RS201E Audio Video Music Streamer, Marantz HD DAC 1 Dac Pre amp, Furman Elite 20Pfi power conditioner, 2 SVS PB 2000 Pro Subwoofers Paradigm 800 F Towers, Paradigm 500 C Center channel, 4 SVS Prime Elevation Surround, and Surround back speakers, 4 RSL 34E Dolby Atmos Speakers

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have found that most switches do a reasonably good job for home networking if you are just looking for a basic unmanaged switch. Yes, those switches from Netgear, Trendnet, TP-Link, and others, do just fine.

I agree that having some room to grow is good, as is having a PoE switch. But, at the very least, ensure it is gigabit.

So, something as inexpensive as this should work just fine:

Maybe something like this to add PoE power to things...

I only have a couple of PoE devices, so I opted for a non-powered switch and I use PoE injectors to save money. It's worked just fine for me over the years.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I just wired a 32,000 sq foot manufacturing with all TP-Link. Three PoE 24 port switches, 12 AP's, their hardware (OC200) controller, and their firewall (ER605).

All managed via their web interface. Very easy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis