Netflix Streaming/Dolby True-HD

A

AGGRAVATED1

Audiophyte
Does anyone know why my LG BD390 is only outputting the audio track in Dolby Stereo - as opposed to to a typical HD format (e.g. Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio) - solely with respects to Netflix streaming? Of note, I am utilizing the Netflix streaming feature via the Wi-Fi capability inherent to the LG BD390 and not the Ethernet port.

Additionally, (while I realize this is an unrelated matter) I find that, when I am playing a physical Blu-Ray DVD, DOLBY TRUE HD only is processed in 5.1 (my system has 7.1 capabilities) whereas Dolby DTS- HD Master Audio is processing at the preferred 7.1. Is it merely a matter of the Blu-Ray videos mastered in Dolby Tru-HD are currently in 5.1 vs. 7.1 format?

Incidentally, I presently using a Marantz SR5003 as the receiver in conjunction with LG BD390.

Thank you all so much

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure about your second question but the answer to your first question is easy. Netflix only streams in 2 channel stereo. If they ever start offering surround encoded audio with streaming you can bet it will not be TrueHD or anything close. It will probably be plain old Dolby Digital at best.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I'll try my hand at the second question. Yes, TrueHD only comes in 5.1.

At this moment in time, there are exactly 109 titles with DTS MA 7.1.

IIRC, many Marantz receivers cannot matrix for rear speakers when the HD codecs are output as bitstream. If you have the LG decode for you instead, then you may apply matrixing algorithms like PLiiX to have the rears active.

For that matter, these same Marantz models might not be able to apply Audyssey to these codecs as bitstreamed. Can't quite recall exactly, it will warrant some investigation. Well, you will know pretty easily I suppose, depending if you can see the Audyssey logo light up.

I am betting that if you set your bluray player to decode, sending out as mch PCM, you will be happier. No more "trueHD" or "DTS-MA" logos on the receiver is all.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
And these two first answers are the reason why this is the best damn website anywhere!

cjsiv

cjsiv

Junior Audioholic
Just as something a little extra.....My internet connection is about 6-6.5 mb/sec with dsl (cable here in central Illinois sucks but thats another story) and I stream HD pretty well and reliably with that connection. If Netflix did have TrueHD or DTS-HD audio, it would eat almost all of my bandwidth just for the audio. To the OP, not even cable, Directv, or Dish offer anything beyond standard 5.1 dolby digital. The bandwidth required is way to excessive for lossless audio. Long live bluray....

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hopefully it'll only be two or three years before speeds on the order of 20Mbps are common - allowing 5.1 DD over streaming no problem.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Hopefully it'll only be two or three years before speeds on the order of 20Mbps are common - allowing 5.1 DD over streaming no problem.
FIOS... I have my own 20mb now. If it wasn't so dang expensive I'd order the 50mb service.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
FIOS... I have my own 20mb now. If it wasn't so dang expensive I'd order the 50mb service.
I did say "common." :) I hope to be able to step up from 1.5 to 20 next month. They just installed fiber optics in my neighborhood.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis