Netflix Streaming Does 5.1 Surround Sound with Dolby Digital Plus on PS3!

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Not just 6mbps but I read an article saying that they have something like 120 different streams for any given title available at one time, all at various quality rates and the "correct" one is streamed to you based on your connection speed.
That makes sense. Yeah, 120 seems like a lot of streams, but, possibly that accounts for different formats (mov/ogg/mkv) plus multiple points of origin (speed/latency/redundancy). Be interesting to know more about how they do that. Huge server loads and bandwidth used in any case. I can't imagine.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
120 streams is probably for the most popular/new stuff. For things that are not frequently streamed it is likely a lot less. I am more curious about how they are able to stream 3D and have it look that good. I have a fast connection and it looks darn well near blu-ray quality. Max audio is 640K DD+ I believe, and that isn't on all titles.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
120 streams is probably for the most popular/new stuff. For things that are not frequently streamed it is likely a lot less. I am more curious about how they are able to stream 3D and have it look that good. I have a fast connection and it looks darn well near blu-ray quality. Max audio is 640K DD+ I believe, and that isn't on all titles.
If there is enough bandwidth, no problem. My understanding (just from reading online) is Netflix doesn't own much infrastructure, they use Amazon's cloud services for delivering the 'web static content' and then Akamai, Limelight & Level 3 for their CDN and edge caching. Why 3 CDNs? Apparently when you watch, you only connect to one (whichever has the highest availability for you)... but by using all these different CDNs they're able to get higher performance in more areas. Then, of course, you have the users connection...

..For that, they have 12 non-hd and 14 hd bitrates (dynamically selected). So, 26 streams across 3 CDNs ... 78 right there. Then, the stuff I read didn't mention 3D or the new audio, etc. That likely accounts for the 120.

They must spend a lot (cloud stuff is expensive bandwidth per dollar generally), but, they don't have to manage huge datacenters... big plus. Maybe in total cost its cheaper to spend more and save on the IT staff, headaches, etc.

Cool system.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I actually don't think they spend that much on infrastructure. I am almost certain that Amazon Prime is actually provided by Netflix in a sort of collaborative effort. I didn't know Amazon provided the backbone, but that came to light quite clearly last holiday season when Netflix went down and they said it was the Amazon infrastructure that had the issue. I'd say there's a little handshaking going on there where the media is exchanged for the infrastructure and vice versa. When 3D and superHD were released, there was an article that said Netflix tried to force that sort of deal onto major ISPs also. Obviously not all of them went for it :)

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I actually don't think they spend that much on infrastructure. I am almost certain that Amazon Prime is actually provided by Netflix in a sort of collaborative effort. I didn't know Amazon provided the backbone, but that came to light quite clearly last holiday season when Netflix went down and they said it was the Amazon infrastructure that had the issue. I'd say there's a little handshaking going on there where the media is exchanged for the infrastructure and vice versa. When 3D and superHD were released, there was an article that said Netflix tried to force that sort of deal onto major ISPs also. Obviously not all of them went for it :)
They spend likely more up front, but less on the back end. Using these CDNs means less servers, load balancers, switches, etc. that they have to maintain. So, less total cost

...and to your point, very possibly they have a deal with Amazon for cloud services:
AWS | Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) – Scalable Cloud Servers

They might share actual instances of the movies, but, they're still using very different application layers. And Netflix is edge cacheing on other CDNs.

Reading the avs thread posted..

There were some people saying they wished that Netflix would answer their questions about performance inconsistency. Their cloud/virtualized infrastructure schema is likely the answer, which, by it's design schema, is going to have varied performance (on their end, not just yours!). But, how do they explain that to customers? Not sure.

The only cost effective way to implement this sort of service is through virtualized/cloud infrastructure, so, they've designed their application layer to deal with the varied performance of both the users connection and THEIR system performance. Even actively while you watch! But, also in their initial stream, which wasn't as noticeable until they added 5.1 and other features that people are able to tell if they are there or not (seems like they roll back older titles when necessary, going off descriptions of problems avs users were talking about).

The cool thing about these blade setups is how you can support a small load, then then be able to scale for peaks without having to own a bunch of hardware. Without this technology, I don't think something like Netflix would be so available... or be able to give, what many of us have experienced, as damn impressive performance for something we're pulling off the internet!!!

AVisualGeek

AVisualGeek

Enthusiast
I can't find it in me to stream movies yet. Until the bandwidth is just a tad better and they also stream 7.1+ format options as well, I prefer BluRay all the way. The image is much nicer. Don't get me wrong though...I have Netflix and the quality is great....it's just that BluRay still stomps all over it imo.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I can't find it in me to stream movies yet. Until the bandwidth is just a tad better and they also stream 7.1+ format options as well, I prefer BluRay all the way. The image is much nicer. Don't get me wrong though...I have Netflix and the quality is great....it's just that BluRay still stomps all over it imo.
Well, off a Playstation I think it's downloaded to a local temp directory rather than directly streamed, correct?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not exactly "downloaded" but it is heavily buffered because the PS3 has always offered some of the best streaming performance for me. The PS3 doesn't have much RAM and it still buffers better than my PCs.

The bandwidth excuse is completely a cop out. ISPs are offering speeds that are already fast enough to deliver near BD quality. Audio is another story; they could probably do it, but with HD video and HD audio, that might be pushing it. The fastest ISP's speeds I'm sure already are capable of supporting it but no services are doing it. So to say that the bandwidth isn't there is more of an excuse to fence sit than to do something.

Last edited:
M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Not exactly "downloaded" but it is heavily buffered because the PS3 has always offered some of the best streaming performance for me. The PS3 doesn't have much RAM and it still buffers better than my PCs.
That is likely from their application layer. The web your also processing Silverlight.

The bandwidth excuse is completely a cop out. ISPs are offering speeds that are already fast enough to deliver near BD quality. Audio is another story; they could probably do it, but with HD video and HD audio, that might be pushing it. The fastest ISP's speeds I'm sure already are capable of supporting it but no services are doing it. So to say that the bandwidth isn't there is more of an excuse to fence sit than to do something.
Is that their excuse? The bandwidth is there - for most. But, there are also other obstacles beyond that and using cloud infrastructure can have fluctuations in performance. Amazon's cloud isn't exactly awesome anyways, heh, but it is cheaper (significantly).

Audio shouldn't be an issue from a bandwidth perspective, compared to video.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis