JTFVegas

JTFVegas

Audioholic
Ive been seeing more and more old movies on Netflix coming out in HDR. Does Netflix have a hand in this? Do THEY, meaning Netflix rebroadcast old content in HDR, or was the movie just remastered by the movie studio (property owner)? Still confused by HDR! Ashamed.

JTFVegas

JTFVegas

Audioholic
Ive been seeing more and more old movies on Netflix coming out in HDR. Does Netflix have a hand in this? Do THEY, meaning Netflix rebroadcast old content in HDR, or was the movie just remastered by the movie studio (property owner)? Still confused by HDR! Ashamed.
Case in point the movie "Tremors" 1990 with Kevin Bacon. My TV is telling me its in HDR.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I would imagine that it was remastered by the studio. I have a few older movies (Fifth Element) that are in 4K HDR and TBH they don't look any different than the 1080p counter parts.

Granted, they already looked VERY good in their 1080p form.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Netflix could have a hand in it by saying we'll purchase X amount of titles if they are remastered with 4k or HDR, but most likely any remastering would be by the production studio.

HDR...some TVs really benefit from it...the Sony in the master has a noticeably better detailed picture, but my new Samsung TV does not display much better.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Probably really FAKE HDR like the Fake HDR done for the Star Wars movies on Disney+.

Wouldn't surprise me since Netflix also has "Fake Atmos" since I usually can't hear much from the ceiling speakers.

So probably usually FAKE 4K (just 2K upscaled to 4K), FAKE HDR, and FAKE Atmos. :D

Even though it will show up as "4K, HDR, Atmos".

BTW, I've seen some regular 2K SDR movies and TV shows with colors so vibrant and beautiful that look like "HDR".

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Probably really FAKE HDR like the Fake HDR done for the Star Wars movies on Disney+.

Wouldn't surprise me since Netflix also has "Fake Atmos" since I usually can't hear much from the ceiling speakers.

So probably usually FAKE 4K (just 2K upscaled to 4K), FAKE HDR, and FAKE Atmos. :D

Even though it will show up as "4K, HDR, Atmos".

BTW, I've seen some regular 2K SDR movies and TV shows with colors so vibrant and beautiful that look like "HDR".
How have we been talking about this for so long and not settled on calling it Fatmos?

JTFVegas

JTFVegas

Audioholic
And then of course we could rehash why Netflix HDR looks so dark.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
And then of course we could rehash why Netflix HDR looks so dark.
Yep, Dolby Vision HDR10 Supposed to be 100 times Brighter. From my Sony 4K UHD blu-ray player it made a believer out of me.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
The Super bowl is going to be broadcast in 4K HDR, let see what that looks like.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I read that the Super Bowl will be captured in 1080 and upscaled to 4K for broadcast.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I read that the Super Bowl will be captured in 1080 and upscaled to 4K for broadcast.
That's just like most 4K content out there. Anyway I'm more interested in the HDR aspect. I don't really care about the resolution.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Netflix (as the distributor/licensee) most likely includes a 4K-capable encode like HVEC that supports HDR, as a digital deliverable from the producer or rights owner. All movie distribution-licensing agreements include a negotiated list of film and digital deliverables (among many elements) the producer/rights owner must provide the distributor. As of 6 or so years ago many distributors were requiring an H.264/SDR version of the film. It wouldn't surprise me if NF is increasingly asking for HVEC as a standard deliverable. That doesn't necessarily mean the film was done in 4K all the way from post to delivery. A lot of older films (i.e. shot with film cameras) were scanned at 2K--but not yet 4K--for production, post, color grading, and final encode for film and digital deliverables. Around 2009-11 we were scanning film to 2K for digital intermediates used in assembly and post. So there are lots of 2K "masters" from film sitting around that might have substantial dynamic range (traditional film already has a 14-stop dynamic range; HDR is 14-15 stops, SDR 6-8 stops). But they probably haven't been color graded for HDR; in other words their potential dynamic range remains compressed. For an indie producer pulling all the elements from vaults and re-scanning to 4K, plus color grading and HDR mastering is expensive. But a big studio has the resources to re-scan, color grade, and HDR master at least select older films, and then make them available to streaming distributors, if that's what the distributor wants. (In such cases a major studio could be the outright owner of a film--acquired via an output or production-finance deal--or be acting as sub-licensor for the original-rights owner.) I used to be a distribution-marketing exec for a longtime Hollywood producer, and retired just as streaming was taking off.

Also keep in mind that HDR is a standard that now affects the whole movie workflow: filming/production, post production and color grading, producer deliverables, broadcast/streaming, and consumer displays. This link to an ASC (American Society of Cinematographers) HDR paper is useful.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis