Netflix 4k issues with LG UBK90

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Hi All,

I'm having some issues and wondering if anyone here might have any insight. The Netflix rep I spoke with yesterday was close to useless.

I have the premium subscription with Netflix allowing me to watch shows in 4k. I recently purchased an LG UBK90 4k Blu Ray player, which has the Netflix app. So I'm running the UBK90 to Denon x5200w, to LG OLED 65e7p. So the issue here is absolutely not a lack of equipment to handle the 4k.

When I log on to the Netflix app, all the badges next to the titles show HD, none of them show 4k. I also have (what I believe is) a 4k Comcast cable box and have the same issue, no 4k badges. I tried the Netflix app directly through the LG OLED TV and the 4k badge shows up, and I watched a show in what should have been 4k (but the picture was horrible). I also have I think 200MB internet through Comcast so that should not be an issue.

I'm wondering if you all have any ideas how I can remedy this. Could it be an issue with an HDMI cable? I think they are all 1.4, but if not, would that make a difference?

Thanks in advance

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi All,

I'm having some issues and wondering if anyone here might have any insight. The Netflix rep I spoke with yesterday was close to useless.

I have the premium subscription with Netflix allowing me to watch shows in 4k. I recently purchased an LG UBK90 4k Blu Ray player, which has the Netflix app. So I'm running the UBK90 to Denon x5200w, to LG OLED 65e7p. So the issue here is absolutely not a lack of equipment to handle the 4k.

When I log on to the Netflix app, all the badges next to the titles show HD, none of them show 4k. I also have (what I believe is) a 4k Comcast cable box and have the same issue, no 4k badges. I tried the Netflix app directly through the LG OLED TV and the 4k badge shows up, and I watched a show in what should have been 4k (but the picture was horrible). I also have I think 200MB internet through Comcast so that should not be an issue.

I'm wondering if you all have any ideas how I can remedy this. Could it be an issue with an HDMI cable? I think they are all 1.4, but if not, would that make a difference?

Thanks in advance
This might help you. If you are having issues, move up to 2.0 spec for HDMI.

On further research the problem is your Denon receiver. You have been the victim of misleading specs and advertising. In this money grubbing era this is all too common.

The spec. of your receiver contains this well hidden disclaimer.

• This receiver is not HDCP 2.2-compliant and will not support copy-protected 4K video content.
Since practically all 4K content is copyright protected this is NOT a 4K receiver. So you need to purchase an HDCP 2.2 compliant receiver.

So for now you will have to use ARC back from the TV. However you will not get the loss lees audio codecs.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well you could say worse, "But not on the radio", as the Python song goes.

At least you are not a believer in "Alternative Facts."

Seriously though how long have you had the Denon unit? Do you have any options for return, or just the option of an Internet used item sale?

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
I've had it for probably 4 years, I got it when it first came out. I saw Denon offered an upgrade for the 7200, but nothing on the 5200. I may ditch them.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Can you run hdmi to tv for picture and then run audio cable to the receiver for sound? Keep in mind you may need to adjust lip sync on the receiver if the picture is not matching the sound exactly. I didn’t look at your gear, but just thinking you don’t have to spend money if you reroute cabling.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
I could try that, though I don't quite know how to set all that up. Would it need to be an optical cable for sound or would they both run on HDMI?

Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like your bluray player has dual hdmi outputs, connect the 1.4 output to your avr for audio, the 2.0 to the tv. Check your cable box for dual outputs, too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis