Netflix: 1080P and Dolbly Digital 5.1 Ready Devices

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Since the subject recently came up concerning Sony's streaming media players I thought I'd add these updates on 1080P and 5.1 sound support.

Netflix Opens 1080P Floodgates
In October 2010, the Playstation 3 was the first Netflix-enabled device that could access 1080P HD video. Out of the hundreds of Netflix-ready devices, the PS3 stood alone in this respect for many months. Last summer, that changed with the Roku 2 XS and XD also gaining access to 1080P video. Recently, the new WD Live TV streaming box also joined the 1080P club. Other HD-enabled Netflix players have been limited to 720P.

It now appears that Netflix is ready to open up the 1080P floodgates. Up until recently, Netflix would only confirm that the PS3 and Roku could play 1080P.
On a related note it seems that Netflix on the Roku 2 XS now supports Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 sound if the movie offers it. Maybe I'm missing a default setting but it appears that DDP 5.1 has to be enabled manually in the start menu of each video which is kind of a pain. They've added some other nice search and recommendation features as well. See the links below for details and screen caps.

Roku 2: The Best Netflix Player?

Roku 2 Firmware 2663 Released in Time for Christmas

So far the selection of 5.1 enabled movies and TV shows seems sparse but I'm sure that will grow. It also looks like existing Blu-Ray player support for 1080P will be hit or miss with Oppo electing for now to be a miss.

When is 1080P Netflix coming to my device?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
While it seems slim, I end up getting more 5.1 movies and shows than expected via the PS3. I usually don't check, I just play it and am often suprised when they are 5.1. This is mainly for stuff that has been recently added, so the chances are higher. In other words, it has nothing to do with the age of what you are watching, it has to do with when it became available on Netflix. With older movies, it is unlikely they will be 5.1.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
While it seems slim, I end up getting more 5.1 movies and shows than expected via the PS3. I usually don't check, I just play it and am often suprised when they are 5.1. This is mainly for stuff that has been recently added, so the chances are higher. In other words, it has nothing to do with the age of what you are watching, it has to do with when it became available on Netflix. With older movies, it is unlikely they will be 5.1.
I think you're right about date added being the key for example the original Star Trek TV series is in DDP 5.1 but a lot of 2-3 year old movies aren't. It's one of those clean up jobs that they should undertake ASAP to attract more customers. So is adding a default to 5.1 option to the Roku/Netflix client.

Honestly I barely use Netflix streaming and they lost the one series that had me really-really excited (the BBC's Sherlock Homes w/Jeremy Brett) about 1/3 of the way through the series. But for $8/mo I'll hang onto it for now and see where they take it, but only as long as they don't screw with us Blu-Ray renters again. ;)

What kind of surprised me is Oppo's decision not to upgrade their Netflix client. I guess they may lack the resources or perhaps their chip supplier is holding them back again.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As for Oppo, I'd say they will be more likely to just add it to a new model, which will I would imagine will probably come out sometime next year.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
As for Oppo, I'd say they will be more likely to just add it to a new model, which will I would imagine will probably come out sometime next year.
That's seriously bad customer relations. When you're selling $500 players you have to treat the current generation customers right in order to attract the next generation of customers. Frankly if I had known that they weren't going to improve their Netflix functionality or their buggy network functionality I'd never have bought my BDP-93. I just don't see them bringing $300 more value over the competition.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it is worse for us 83 owners. They added some new functionality (Orb-caster) but it requires a disc like the PS3 had to be able to run the app and connects to a PC or Mac. I didn't opt for it because the PS3 is already good at Netflix. It says it offers Amazon VOD capability though, and since I am a Prime member already, I may consider it for that.

Last edited:
indulger

indulger

Audioholic
I have never really paid attention, but what about any ol HTPC that is 1080P/DD 5.1 capable. Are they already enabled or does it have to be a specific manufactured device?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have never really paid attention, but what about any ol HTPC that is 1080P/DD 5.1 capable. Are they already enabled or does it have to be a specific manufactured device?
From what I've seen, some shows that are HD on my PS3 will stream HD on my PC/Mac - but not all. I have yet to find any shows that will stream 5.1 to my PC or Mac.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Is the Sony BDP-S570 1080P with Netflix?
I'm curious myself just because I looked at these a few weeks ago when they had refurbs on sale for $100 but I decided to keep my old LG BD player and add a Roku XS instead. Your best bet is to contact Sony and ask what has been updated, what hasn't, and what won't be.

From last article which is dated 10/31/2011.
Sony already has 1080P Netflix on their Playstation3 but recently introduced a new 1080P streaming device, the SMP-N200. No word on this or their Blu-ray players or home theater systems.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've been streaming Netflix 1080p/ DD+ 5.1 for months on my $100 Panasonic BD player.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was/am disappointed in the Netflix streaming experience. My wife told me that having to spend 30 minutes or more to find something to watch meant that this service was not our cup of tea. At any rate without DD coming from Netflix to any of the network streaming devices I already own, Panasonic BD player, Sony network player, Panasonic HD tv, I'm passing on this convenience and instead going for the rental and purchase of BD's at my local video store.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis