Net Radio Sounds Odd

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Anyone listen to Net Radio on their Yamaha receiver? Occasionally I do on my RX-A1020 and the sound seems 'jittery' or like it's coming from underwater. I'm assuming it's due to my Internet provider and NOT my Yamaha. It's not wi-fi. Using NETWORK jack from AVR to NetGear switch to router.

Update- may have answered my own question, could be the radio STATION is sending a slow feed to ISP. I tried couple other different stations and seems 'normal' sound. If you want I'd like to read your thoughts. Thanks!

Last edited:
G

Grant.M

Audioholic
Anyone listen to Net Radio on their Yamaha receiver? Occasionally I do on my RX-A1020 and the sound seems 'jittery' or like it's coming from underwater. I'm assuming it's due to my Internet provider and NOT my Yamaha. It's not wi-fi. Using NETWORK jack from AVR to NetGear switch to router.

Update- may have answered my own question, could be the radio STATION is sending a slow feed to ISP. I tried couple other different stations and seems 'normal' sound. If you want I'd like to read your thoughts. Thanks!
I have an RX-A2040 and have listened to Net Radio as well every now and then and have come across that same issue. I always wondered why, and that sounds like a pretty good answer to me!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I use TuneIn and Pandora on various devices and all sound quite good.

If you're using wi-fi, then what kind of signal strength and speed are you getting at the receiver?

If you're direct wire, I'd suspect your box or the ISP.

If it's only one station and the rest are fine, well...

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I use TuneIn and Pandora on various devices and all sound quite good.

If you're using wi-fi, then what kind of signal strength and speed are you getting at the receiver?

If you're direct wire, I'd suspect your box or the ISP.

If it's only one station and the rest are fine, well...
As I stated in my original post it's not WI-FI (the RX-A1020 has neither wifi or bluetooth). It's no big deal, just strange that a network feed from a local station (20 miles away) sounds worse than one from a station 100 miles away!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
As I stated in my original post it's not WI-FI (the RX-A1020 has neither wifi or bluetooth). It's no big deal, just strange that a network feed from a local station (20 miles away) sounds worse than one from a station 100 miles away!
I realize that and believe I addressed that in options 2 and 3. Option 1 was for any lurkers who might be experiencing similar problems since many, if not most, go wireless.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I was listening a couple of days ago and like it's always been, the quality varies from awful to pretty decent. Some have a very odd lack of bass that sounds like some of the old CDs that were mixed badly and were just unpleasant to listen to. I have everything connected via cable, wireless is a bad idea, IMHO, in most SQ important uses. I would say 40% of the ones I listened to are "A-A-" quality, another 40% are "B-C-", and the other 20% are "F". There is one that sounds worse than any AM radio I have ever heard. It's coming from Germany, and I wonder what it sounds like locally over FM? The content is great, it just sounds terrible, and has for at least 2 years. There is one I used to listen to a couple of years ago that seems to be gone now that played entire movie soundtracks and it sounded the best of any I ever heard on Net Radio. That station made me look up a lot of the soundtracks to put on my car stereo.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief

I use netradio almost 24/7, luv it! Finding music from all over the world and with some no censorship blows FM here in the States out the water. I refuse to even turn on FM in my car, it's censored, propaganda and commercialized. There are only two rock stations here that i can pull in on FM, 98.1 and 105.1 and they suck! The music that's rotated on a daily basis is what I was tuning into back in the 70's and 80's. Now I like some of it but after 45 + years you can only listen to Sweet home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd so many times. On FM to me? It's just redneck noise man. Netradio, or Sat is the wave man.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis