Needing some advice for an integrated amp. Have a budget of about 3k give or take.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Currently my set up is a Crown Drive Core 2 amp with a cheap preamp. I have JBL studio 530s which I like. These are just fun engaging speakers. They pair pretty well with the lively Crown amp but seem thin in the mids. In this set up. I've got an older Marantz DAC 1 that is still pretty good. My sources in the room are PC, CD Player and turntable.
I've been studying and reading for a while. My plan is to get the integrated amp first. See how it pairs with the JBLs then upgrade speakers and probably get the matching electronics for whatever amp I decided on. I would like to eventually be able to hook subs up to speaker connections on the amp but not being able to is not a deal killer. I do not need a phono stage or DAC built into the amp though one of the other would be nice if it is good quality. I like good sound stage and separation. I like neutral to maybe a little warm. I am not a fan of cool or thin. This is the problem with the current setup up. While it is good it is a little cool and thin. I think most of this is due to the amp though.

Here are the options I am currently considering after reading and checking them out.
Yamaha A-S 1200
Marantz Model 30
Musical Fidelity M5si or M6si
Technics SU-G 700
Then on the extreme side of my budget Denon PMA-A110
I listen to most types of music but probably spend most of my time listening to country, 70s, 80,s, and 90s rock. 70s disco and Motown. Country, bluegrass, with jazz, classical, and scores thrown into the mix. Right now with what I have raid I tend to be leaning toward the Technics, Model 30, or M5. You guys have have you heard or own any of this gear or have suggestions on something I may be missing?
Here's what you're missing: point 1, as in a 2.1 amp. Consider the Parasound 2.1 P6 preamp and matching power amp. This pairing will deliver low volume detail, and black as coal backgrounds. And, here's the big, really big plus, you can re purpose the Crown to power a passive sub, with bass management from the Parasound. This means you can retain the JBL 530's for very well balanced full frequency performance when supplemented by the sub. The Parasound has optical, and coax inputs to an ESS DAC which supports hi-res playback and there are 4 RCA analog inputs; plus, there's a balanced input and output. In addition, the unit has a MM/MC phono section and usb B input, as well as a home theater bypass, which permits you to enjoy stereo components hooked up to your AVR, if you have one. And, finally, the unit's high pass and low pass filtering give you bass management for a passive sub should you want what a sub can bring to music pleasure. At any rate, none of the amps on your list are as competent or as functional as the Parasound. Oh, I forgot, there's also a RCA record out if you're into digitizing vinyl. In other words, all of needs and desires, present and future from all sorts of digital and analog source. components, can be satisfied with the P6 and matching power amp for not much more expense than you have budgeted.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

This is something I have actually considered. Just not sure where to go for a preamp. I am actually using an IOTA VX as a preamp I picked up from a friend at work. I originally ran it as an amp but it did not do a good job of driving the JBLs as they are rated at 84 DB I think it is.
I have another post for you here that bolsters reasons for considering a preamp, specifically the Parasound P6. Please read it.

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Here's what you're missing: point 1, as in a 2.1 amp. Consider the Parasound 2.1 P6 preamp and matching power amp. This pairing will deliver low volume detail, and black as coal backgrounds. And, here's the big, really big plus, you can re purpose the Crown to power a passive sub, with bass management from the Parasound. This means you can retain the JBL 530's for very well balanced full frequency performance when supplemented by the sub. The Parasound has optical, and coax inputs to an ESS DAC which supports hi-res playback and there are 4 RCA analog inputs; plus, there's a balanced input and output. In addition, the unit has a MM/MC phono section and usb B input, as well as a home theater bypass, which permits you to enjoy stereo components hooked up to your AVR, if you have one. And, finally, the unit's high pass and low pass filtering give you bass management for a passive sub should you want what a sub can bring to music pleasure. At any rate, none of the amps on your list are as competent or as functional as the Parasound. Oh, I forgot, there's also a RCA record out if you're into digitizing vinyl. In other words, all of needs and desires, present and future from all sorts of digital and analog source. components, can be satisfied with the P6 and matching power amp for not much more expense than you have budgeted.
Yeah I looked at the Halo line as well. I am familiar with some of their products from the past. I like all the features of their preamp. I have tended to like past products by them as well. When looking at their line I can not help but wonder rather than going with the components what I would be giving up if I went with the P6 Halo Hint 6. I certainly would like to keep subs. Bass management is a plus. Yeah I really like the features of the preamp and or Hint 6. The preamp and the A23 comes in around where I would like to be on price. When I look at them though that Hint 6 calls my name. So many options and choices at good prices. It is a great time for the hobby.

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Those really aren't bad little subs for the price for sure, but they are "little" subs. Depending on your room size a larger sub might offer you more improvements than you might think. I was blown away with what some larger subs did for me, and I mean for good, clean, deeper bass. Not more or boomier bass. I have them dialed in nice and even, just there for support to add depth and texture.
If you know anyone looking to try subs in their setup. JBL currently has them for 179.99 on their website. They are pretty popular. They had them on backorder back during their November sale. They also have the 530s at 279.99 That is unreal for the fun and enjoyment those things can bring.

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Well my Yamaha A-S1200 in on the way. This is going to let me get rid of my preamp, CD player, and phono stage. I'm still completely happy with my Marantz HD-DAC1. It lacks some modern functions but it is a great DAC and I will not upgrade till I can get the features I want in a quality DAC like HDMI connection, streaming, and room control. Next on my list that I plan on ordering to further my upgrade are speakers. I'm looking for bookshelf speakers to go with my subs. Right now I have the JBL 550 bargain subs. I will upgrade them shortly after I decide on speakers. Right now I am leaning toward 2 Rel T5I. This system is specifically for music in my office/game/media room. AKA man cave. I really like the small light Rel for music. These will never spend a day in surround and this will be the stereo system I die with at 52. I will continue to check them out for the next couple of months but right now Rel is the choice. So right now I am going to order the speakers probably by the start of next week. I have heard a pair of Focal Sopra 1 speakers paired with the Yamaha amp and it was incredible. Those Focal are as close to a perfect pair of speakers as I have heard for me. I like the mids love the pep and zip they have for a lot of music. Here is the short list since I am not ready to drop the cash for the Focal (yet). JBL HDI 1600, Wharfedale Linton and Evo 4.2, Quad s2. I really like the Quad s2. I wish I could find some measurements on them to see if what I think I hear is accurate. B&W 706. This is my short list of speakers so far. I plan on a trip down to Saint Augustine this weekend that has a really nice shop I can audition a lot of this. Seeing the speakers I have in mind do any of you have other suggestions to add to the list?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

HD-DAC1 is a nice little unit. And I just love its looks! If they ever make a balanced version I might well buy another one. I had a noise issue that forced me to move on.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Speakers I am considering so far are the B&W 706, JBL HDI, and Elac Vela BS 403.
Before you spent 3K on an integrated amp, I would suggest you try a pair of BMR first.

Philharmonic Audio
Philharmonic Audio BMR Philharmonitor Measurements & Conclusion | Audioholics

They measured well and sounds great, better than my KEF that cost 3X more, except in bass as they are bookshelves.

For cheap preamp, if your goal is the best possible specs, verified by measurements, the so called "chi-fi" Topping's L30 looks unbeatable. Depending on what kind of cheap preamp you are currently using you may or may not hear a difference but at least you know you will have the near "SOTA" preamp. (Nothing can sound more transparent than this $130-140 device regardless of price, in theory, based on the bench test results).

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Congrats. The A-S1200, A-S2200, and A-S3200 are pretty. :D

Yeah they look nice. Not to mention I really like the sound of them. They have a bit of a unique voicing that I really enjoy and they are built to last. That sweetness in the highs and little bump in the mids is magic for me. It goes a long way in making the music fun and engaging for me. I just really like what they bring on every level. Maybe the most overbuilt lineup currently. At 52 I will be using this till my hearing is gone or I am dead. I did get the black though as it was a open box/loaner and saved me a bit of money.
1615982540669.png

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Before you spent 3K on an integrated amp, I would suggest you try a pair of BMR first.

Philharmonic Audio
Philharmonic Audio BMR Philharmonitor Measurements & Conclusion | Audioholics

They measured well and sounds great, better than my KEF that cost 3X more, except in bass as they are bookshelves.

For cheap preamp, if your goal is the best possible specs, verified by measurements, the so called "chi-fi" Topping's L30 looks unbeatable. Depending on what kind of cheap preamp you are currently using you may or may not hear a difference but at least you know you will have the near "SOTA" preamp. (Nothing can sound more transparent than this $130-140 device regardless of price, in theory, based on the bench test results).

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
Part of my goal was to get away from the preamp honestly and limit the number of components. Eventually when I find the right streamer my sources will just be over my FreeNas network and my CD collection ripped to FLAC then my Amazon subscription, and my turntable. There was several reasons I was doing this. One was the rushed nature of putting something together initially when work from home started. I am looking for an amp that will simplify my system and keep my music engaging for the long haul. Then with brand saturation of a Yamaha I can audition lots of speakers to find the synergy I am looking for. Not to mention Yamaha build quality is incredible and I do plan on having it for some time.

Those BMR speakers seem interesting. I'm not too familiar with them and not sure I have ever heard anything with them yet. Out of everything I have heard with the Yamaha so far both the Wharfedale speakers I mentioned and the Quad S-2 seem to be leading the pack.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah they look nice. Not to mention I really like the sound of them. They have a bit of a unique voicing that I really enjoy and they are built to last. That sweetness in the highs and little bump in the mids is magic for me. It goes a long way in making the music fun and engaging for me. I just really like what they bring on every level. Maybe the most overbuilt lineup currently. At 52 I will be using this till my hearing is gone or I am dead. I did get the black though as it was a open box/loaner and saved me a bit of money.
View attachment 45693
The black finish also looks nice. Most of my clients order the silver. I have the A-S3200SL silver on order for a client now. Funny enough, all the guys who bought the A-S2200 and A-S3200 are above 50, probably above 60. :D

Yeah, these Yamaha amps are built extremely well. Look great, sound great.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Part of my goal was to get away from the preamp honestly and limit the number of components. Eventually when I find the right streamer my sources will just be over my FreeNas network and my CD collection ripped to FLAC then my Amazon subscription, and my turntable. There was several reasons I was doing this. One was the rushed nature of putting something together initially when work from home started. I am looking for an amp that will simplify my system and keep my music engaging for the long haul. Then with brand saturation of a Yamaha I can audition lots of speakers to find the synergy I am looking for. Not to mention Yamaha build quality is incredible and I do plan on having it for some time.

Those BMR speakers seem interesting. I'm not too familiar with them and not sure I have ever heard anything with them yet. Out of everything I have heard with the Yamaha so far both the Wharfedale speakers I mentioned and the Quad S-2 seem to be leading the pack.
Well then the A-S1200 is a good choice, at least you can pick your own DAC.
I don't know if there is a way for you to audition the BMR but I hope you will try because I am quite sure if accuracy/neutrality/live like is your goal you won't be disappointed. I can't imagine any of Wharfedale's could even come close, don't know much about the Quad's.

Once you get to the level of gear you are considering, what determines the best sound quality really is in the following order:

Quality of the recording itself regardless of format as long as it is lossless, followed by the speaker/room/placement/REQ, preamps/power amp/integrated amp, DAC/turntable/cartridges, so speakers are really important, got to pick to right one.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The black finish also looks nice. Most of my clients order the silver. I have the A-S3200SL silver on order for a client now. Funny enough, all the guys who bought the A-S2200 and A-S3200 are above 50, probably above 60. :D

If you ask, I would bet the reason they choose these is nostalgia. The difference between the equipment of the past and the time between the re-introduction of what we're seeing now was a barren wasteland, IMO. Sure, there were exceptions but some of the stuff that was troweled out was absolute crap- fancy, unimportant features with bad performance and terrible reliability. What a huge disservice to consumers!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Funny enough, all the guys who bought the A-S2200 and A-S3200 are above 50, probably above 60. :D
Funny, but also sad in some cases, when by the time some people can afford them, they lost enough hearing to the point any of those would sound exactly the same as the A-S801, or even a 140 W rated RX-A3080 in pure direct mode. The last couple amps I bought were not for "sound quality" reasons any more. I would not want/wish your customers to know or even think that way obviously, because they deserve in additional to the good look of their new toy, also the better sound quality, even if not night and day better.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Funny enough, all the guys who bought the A-S2200 and A-S3200 are above 50, probably above 60. :D

And this is why I didn't order the Yamaha. I'm under 50.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yet you buy cheap beer....interesting. :) That an SL1200?

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Yet you buy cheap beer....interesting. :) That an SL1200?
Oh that is not a 1200. It is an AT-LP120XUSB. It does look like a 1200 though. It will get upgraded at some point. So will that Marantz HD DAC1. When I find something with all the features I want and a couple of HDMI connections and a touch on the warm side. I'm a lover of many beers and yes some even cheap if they are good. I have to cut some corners for my end game after my next retirement. I'm gonna have to put a review together for this amp when I get the new speakers. I really like this amp.

It fixed most of the issues I had with the Crown and 570 pairing. I do not think it was a knock on the amp. That Crown is good. Being class D it can be a little cool and thin in the mids. These speakers are the same so it was just too much with them being paired together. This Yamaha has a slight bump in the upper mids and lower highs. Plus it is smooth and sweet that really pairs well with the 570s. Now the only issue is the 570s. It is just the result of the horn and the small waveguide with the compression driver. It seems there are some frequencies you can get the distant/horn effect. When it happens they get a strange effect as they sound really light as if it may be reflecting off the waveguide itself. Kind of hard to explain. I guess it is kind of like you are talking into a trash can, or something made of hard plastic. It is not often or a lot of it. These speakers are way better than the 300 I paid for them they just do not need a bright class D amplifier with them. I would like to hear that Crown push some Lintons or Evo 4s though. If not for the horn issue on the 570s I could live with this pairing for the next 30 years. It brings out all the best of each other. Still 300.00 speakers have their limits those these thing far exceed the money I paid.

I have a list of stuff I am going to have to find somewhere on line to sell them. I have a pair Debut B6 originals, Emotiva Flex amp, Emotiva DAC/pre-amp, that Iota VX integrated, and that Crown. Now that I list these I wonder how those B6 would pair with the Crown.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, you can tell differences among classes of amp but not beer.... :)

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Wow, you can tell differences among classes of amp but not beer.... :)
Yeah my hearing like my taste is not effected by who made it. It is subjective, opinion and taste. I can think and reason outside of the II and color in them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis