ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Would that not create more current from the amps?
Not create. Demand.
Do Not.
If you want to run two zones, get a processor/reciever that will manage two zones. Preferably with some sort of bass management/room correction involved.

I get the "frankensteining." But there comes a point where you are expecting too much:

THIS. Is. That. Point.

:cool:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Would that not create more current from the amps?
It would increase the demand/load on the amp but not sure what you think you'd gain by such. Sounds like speakers in the other room(s) would be more beneficial than clumping them in the one room....or move the system to where you listen from....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
BTW... that was my friendly way of saying that. :) Don't mean to come across as harsh, but if you are interested in sound quality in any manner, without risking blowing something or everything, you need to reconsider your goals and how you use your equipment.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What we also need to know if a) how big is your listening space and how many people are in the room then you feel like it's not loud enough? Answer to both questions is critical to provide you with a recommendation.

But generally speaking, your front speakers have 90dB sensitivity and you're feeding them 280 watts of power (or more if speakers have lower impedance) - that combination is more than sufficient to deafen somebody in smaller rooms. Estimating near-wall placement and 10ft distance, I get nearly 111dB SPL at the listening position.

About same volume as chainsaw/Jetski from 3ft away (see chart below)

Now let us assume that your speakers are in a massive warehouse and you're DJ at 100s of people's dance party then these speakers are WAY underpowered for the task.

Last edited:
S

Slavetothewatt

Enthusiast
Why not jump the 2 new speakers from the existing and cut the flow in half? Would it help?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Still keeping this as simple as possible:
No.
Do not.

S

Slavetothewatt

Enthusiast
Okay I think I get it... fans are dropping back to 1st stage... it's no longer a lit up Christmas tree on the amps and I'm still not sure what I'm missing? Gonna start with a dual 12" upgrade on the subs. You guys have been great....keep you posted and thx again.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay I think I get it... fans are dropping back to 1st stage... it's no longer a lit up Christmas tree on the amps and I'm still not sure what I'm missing? Gonna start with a dual 12" upgrade on the subs. You guys have been great....keep you posted and thx again.
How big is your room? I'm just guessing here because you won't share details with us but I don't think a pair of 12s is gonna do it...

S

Slavetothewatt

Enthusiast
The listening space is in the basement of a former schoolhouse built in 1900. Triple brick construction, very solid, 30x40 shoebox. The actual listening space is about half the space in the basement somewhere around 15'x20'. With the help of this forum I have figured out a few very important things 1.) I don't necessarily need it louder just need to push more air on the lower frequencies I think? 2.) I truly appreciate the information given to me regarding hearing loss. Makes me think twice about extended listening at higher db levels. 3) I shouldn't add a second exact pair of speakers in parallel because it will strain the amp output per channel unlike using the amp in bridged mode.
Once again you guys are great. Thanks for your time I am now on the hunt for passive 12" subs. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay happy .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The listening space is in the basement of a former schoolhouse built in 1900. Triple brick construction, very solid, 30x40 shoebox. The actual listening space is about half the space in the basement somewhere around 15'x20'. With the help of this forum I have figured out a few very important things 1.) I don't necessarily need it louder just need to push more air on the lower frequencies I think? 2.) I truly appreciate the information given to me regarding hearing loss. Makes me think twice about extended listening at higher db levels. 3) I shouldn't add a second exact pair of speakers in parallel because it will strain the amp output per channel unlike using the amp in bridged mode.
Once again you guys are great. Thanks for your time I am now on the hunt for passive 12" subs. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay happy .
You need more than a pair of 12s. Passive is not a bad way to go at all, but you're also gonna need a lot of power to drive them in such a large space. I think you need minimum a pair of 15s, and wouldn't be shy about recommending a pair of 18s even.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Think Bi-wire on the amp end, but 4 speakers on the other.
Oh, bi-wire what he's got? Or he has four speakers? (ps for OP, bi-wiring is aka buy-wiring).

Even tho you might be in one half of the room, the subs "see" the whole volume of that space, which is huge if 8 ft ceilings, let alone taller ones. Might think about DIY....you're not going to find a lot of "passive" subs out there. Might also think about adding dsp to help integrate, too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You are very welcome. We appreciate when someone actually takes advice under consideration and it appears not only are you doing that, you're understanding it as well so kudos to you. Instead of fighting us on it, you're showing a willingness to switch gears and seek real improvements. So right back at ya, thank you.

When it comes to bass you really need to take the total space into consideration and you have quite a large space so that's why I'm suggesting you go bigger. It's not just about more bass. It's about clean effortless bass. A good pair of subs can make your whole system sound bigger, fuller and can even help clean up the overall sound. Good, clean bass is almost always under appreciated. I think if you get the right subwoofage and dial it in properly you're in for a pleasant surprise.

S

Slavetothewatt

Enthusiast
I've got the feeling you have figured out exactly what was missing for the next level of this system. Bigger, fuller and cleaning up the sound as you say is music to my ears and who doesn't love a pleasant surprise :) First thought for me was just as said earlier.... it's going to be difficult to find larger passive subs and then wondered what about car audio boxes hooked up seeing as they are pretty much hidden anyways and this truly is a Frankenstein. I'm sure sound quality would suffer greatly and nowhere close to clean bass which leaves me getting even more value out of all your responses by figuring out "where do we go from here?" My goal of this system was to add pieces on the cheap and try to figure out how much value each piece added to the complete set-up in the hopes of replacing each piece with higher end, clean lines, tight sounding equipment. Thanks to this forum I will begin that build with powered subs (even although small amplifiers attached to a box plugged into the wall scare me) .... once again you've been a great help. Cheers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've got the feeling you have figured out exactly what was missing for the next level of this system. Bigger, fuller and cleaning up the sound as you say is music to my ears and who doesn't love a pleasant surprise :) First thought for me was just as said earlier.... it's going to be difficult to find larger passive subs and then wondered what about car audio boxes hooked up seeing as they are pretty much hidden anyways and this truly is a Frankenstein. I'm sure sound quality would suffer greatly and nowhere close to clean bass which leaves me getting even more value out of all your responses by figuring out "where do we go from here?" My goal of this system was to add pieces on the cheap and try to figure out how much value each piece added to the complete set-up in the hopes of replacing each piece with higher end, clean lines, tight sounding equipment. Thanks to this forum I will begin that build with powered subs (even although small amplifiers attached to a box plugged into the wall scare me) .... once again you've been a great help. Cheers
I don't think you're off to a terrible start with what you have. Frankensteining a system together isn't too bad if you pick competent components and I think you're okay so far except for subs. You don't need thousands of dollars in amplification to have a great sounding system. There are plenty of folks here using pro amps in their systems.

Well, like @lovinthehd pointed to, DIY is a very valid route that can net you great performance in a passive sub(s) and save you a few bucks. Especially when you build multiples and share amplification. Are you outside the US? Have a budget?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, bi-wire what he's got? Or he has four speakers? (ps for OP, bi-wiring is aka buy-wiring).
Hopefully moot at this point, but what I understood was connecting two pairs two one set of outputs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hopefully moot at this point, but what I understood was connecting two pairs two one set of outputs.
I was just wondering what two pairs he has (the "monitors" mentioned are what?).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis