S

Slavetothewatt

Enthusiast
Not sure I have enough skill or time to DIY and thanks for talking me off the ledge. I think you are right... the system actually does sound quite good, it's tight but just a little loose on the lower frequencies. I don't need to spend thousands yet for a Bryston or two.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've got the feeling you have figured out exactly what was missing for the next level of this system. Bigger, fuller and cleaning up the sound as you say is music to my ears and who doesn't love a pleasant surprise :) First thought for me was just as said earlier.... it's going to be difficult to find larger passive subs and then wondered what about car audio boxes hooked up seeing as they are pretty much hidden anyways and this truly is a Frankenstein. I'm sure sound quality would suffer greatly and nowhere close to clean bass which leaves me getting even more value out of all your responses by figuring out "where do we go from here?" My goal of this system was to add pieces on the cheap and try to figure out how much value each piece added to the complete set-up in the hopes of replacing each piece with higher end, clean lines, tight sounding equipment. Thanks to this forum I will begin that build with powered subs (even although small amplifiers attached to a box plugged into the wall scare me) .... once again you've been a great help. Cheers
Some car subs may be suitable, but many are not. The volume of a car vs your massive room is quite a bit different....

ps The Bryston would be overkill....

S

Slavetothewatt

Enthusiast
I was just wondering what two pairs he has (the "monitors" mentioned are what?).
I was thinking of adding a second pair of Paradigm Monitor11v6 in parallel but now believe that might just strain the amp.

S

Slavetothewatt

Enthusiast
Some car subs may be suitable, but many are not. The volume of a car vs your massive room is quite a bit different....

ps The Bryston would be overkill....
[/Q
I meant replacing my current amps with Bryston but not sure the sound would be worth the money.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking of adding a second pair of Paradigm Monitor11v6 in parallel but now believe that might just strain the amp.
Ah, monitor is another name for a speaker, generally a studio type active/powered speaker.....wasn't thinking of the model name of your speaker. No, duplicating stereo speakers would likely not only be a strain on the amp but also acoustically wouldn't be ideal.....Surround processing with multiple speakers could be something to consider down the line, tho.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was just wondering what two pairs he has (the "monitors" mentioned are what?).
Pretty sure he was considering a second identical pair and running all 4 in parallel stereo... "was" being the operative word tho. I think he's on a better path now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I meant replacing my current amps with Bryston but not sure the sound would be worth the money.
Unlikely any sound difference with the different amp unless you're having issues with amp hiss or fan noise.....Bryston is nice (and Canadian) but really expensive for what it is (great long warranty, tho)....

S

Slavetothewatt

Enthusiast
Ah, monitor is another name for a speaker, generally a studio type active/powered speaker.....wasn't thinking of the model name of your speaker. No, duplicating stereo speakers would likely not only be a strain on the amp but also acoustically wouldn't be ideal.....Surround processing with multiple speakers could be something to consider down the line, tho.
So what's been the verdict on surround processing vs. true stereo (L/R channel) ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So what's been the verdict on surround processing vs. true stereo (L/R channel) ?
Verdict? I use both, depends on what it is, some is native multich (via bluray, SACD, dvd), some is native 2.0 that I upmix. Sometimes I listen in 2.0 only. "True stereo" isn't necessarily 2.0 either. It was a compromise due technology of the day as one major influence....hard to put multich on vinyl :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure I have enough skill or time to DIY and thanks for talking me off the ledge. I think you are right... the system actually does sound quite good, it's tight but just a little loose on the lower frequencies. I don't need to spend thousands yet for a Bryston or two.
I have found a couple of really good deals out here on the used market. You should take a look at your local used market. If you find anything interesting run it by us and we'll help you pick a winner. I'm all for piecing a system together on the cheap by finding good deals. I look at craigslist pretty often just for fun and find some cool stuff all the time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis