Need your advice regarding my system setup , room acoustics and bass management

A

Andy Verdy

Enthusiast
My current setup:
  • TV: Sony A8
  • AVR: Marantz 8012 (Previously used Yamaha Aventage RX-A780)
  • Power Amp: Anthem MCA325 (for L+C+R) — Just ordered, still waiting
  • Front: Paradigm 800F (Previously used Klipsch RP-5000F which I'm still using as Surround Back)
  • Center: Paradigm 500C (Previously used Klipsch RP-400C)
  • Surround: Klipsch RP-500M (from my previous setup)
  • Surround Back: RP-5000F (from my previous setup)
  • Subwoofers: 2 x SVS 3000 (Previously used 2 x Klipsch R-10SW)
  • Blu Ray: Panasonic DP-UB820
  • Network streaming: Cambridge Audio CXN V2
  • Turntable Rega Planar 3
  • Cables: Blue Jeans
  • Atmos front: Klipsch RP-140SA (on wall mount)
  • Atmos rear: Klipsch RP-140SA (on top of my RP-5000F)
PS: I can't use ceiling atmos speaker in renting my apartment so it's either bouncing speakers, such as Klipsch RP-140SA or nothing. But I decided to put front speakers on wall

So far I’ve made some very basic “room treatment" stuff, throw several carpets and put heavy curtains.
But I’ve ordered (still waiting) some acoustics panels from GIK acoustics, including 4’ ceiling panels, side 6’ bass traps and 7.5’ bass traps for the front and back walls.

.I cant post my room model but its's an open space, living room combined with the kitchen
23x19 ft
9.3’ ceilings
3800 cubic feet.

I have several problems with this room, including:
  • 4 large windows (almost floor to ceiling)
  • Open space: living room combined with with the kitchen
  • Basically, I don’t have the left wall and there is a corridor to other rooms. I’ve ordered free standing bass traps for the left side and put heavy curtains to separate this area
  • Hardwood floors
  • Concrete ceiling
I’m building this system mostly for the Home Theatre, but I still want to get as much as I can for 2 channels listening and I really need your advice.

Regarding Speaker placement
  • The distance between L to R to Listening position 7.2' (+/- 2 in),I’ve slightly turned L and R towards the listening position.
  • Center: 7.2'
  • Surround L + R: 4.9'
  • Surround Back L + R: 5.8'
Questions:
1) What do you think about the speaker’s placement?
2) Is this ok that I’ve placed my center channel inside the cabinet?
3) Should I tilt my front speakers a bit (my 800f tweeters are about 5 in. higher than my ears when I'm sitting)?

Regarding the Bass management
  • Should I run L + R as small or as Large (8012 allows me to make separate setups for 2ch and 11.2.4)?
  • LFE vs LFE + main vs Full range for 2ch stereo?
  • Subwoofer’s placement. So far I’ve placed them diagonally, one in the right front corner; the second one in the back left by the kitchen isle
I’ve tried several different placements, but it’s way too many variables I need an advice where should I start from

Attachments

Last edited:
B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
I would suggest sub and small. Now, that depends on which way you can smooth the bass better pending speaker and sub positioning options. The sub/sat setup gives you a ton of options to play with regarding phase, xover points, doubling lower frequencies, etc.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Given the size of your space, start with an LFE crossover at 80 hz for all surround speakers, and 60 hz for your front speakers - set as LFE+Main.

Room EQ/Correction are consistently inaccurate, even with setting channel levels - download a basic SPL meter for your phone, and run the tone generator on each channel. 80 dB is a good (SAFE) listening level to calibrate with. Move mic from head position to head position across your seats (without blocking the speaker) and adjust the trim to each channel (master volume at 0) until each channel is as close to 80dB as possible at each seat. You will need to average out L or R seats with L or R surround channels for the obvious reasons of varying distance from each speaker to each seat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis