Need XLR output preamp advice

R

RussellS

Enthusiast
I am running a stereo system and wish to convert it to a basic stereo AV system. I bought this as a stereo, but would like to convert it to watch TV and movies in Stereo. I don't need full surround sound just yet.

I currently have an Audio Research LS27 preamp, Audio Research DS450 Power Amp, Magnepan 3.7 L/R speakers and a pair of JL Audio f110 subs. (all XLR connections for electronics)
Is there a decent AV preamp ( under $1,000) to match the XLR connections with this gear (minus the LS27) to run basic TV and movies?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I am running a stereo system and wish to convert it to a basic stereo AV system. I bought this as a stereo, but would like to convert it to watch TV and movies in Stereo. I don't need full surround sound just yet.

I currently have an Audio Research LS27 preamp, Audio Research DS450 Power Amp, Magnepan 3.7 L/R speakers and a pair of JL Audio f110 subs. (all XLR connections for electronics)
Is there a decent AV preamp ( under $1,000) to match the XLR connections with this gear (minus the LS27) to run basic TV and movies?
You are not likely to find an AVR with XLR at that price point.

Does your TV have an analog output? Or a digi output?

And, does you preamp have any digi inputs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you're going to remain only in 2ch I don't see much point of using anything but a 2ch input from your tv to your current pre-amp. OTOH if you want a true LFE channel and want to downmix your own multich audio to 2.1....maybe something like the Outlaw 976 http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/976.html

R

RussellS

Enthusiast
You are not likely to find an AVR with XLR at that price point.

Does your TV have an analog output? Or a digi output?

And, does you preamp have any digi inputs?
Older TV - probably both, but prefer a simple HDMI run to preamp (assuming I understand the technology)

LS27 preamp only has RCA and XLR inputs.
Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OTOH unless distances between gear is great, doubt the XLR is any advantage otoh. That Outlaw is the lowest priced pre-pro that would meet the criteria I can think of, probably easily double the expenditure outside of a refurb/closeout on others...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Older TV - probably both, but prefer a simple HDMI run to preamp (assuming I understand the technology)

LS27 preamp only has RCA and XLR inputs.
Just run the analog audio out from the TV to an RCA input on the pre-amp and call it a day.

There are other ways to do it, but it will just add complexity and cost $.

R

RussellS

Enthusiast
OTOH unless distances between gear is great, doubt the XLR is any advantage otoh. That Outlaw is the lowest priced pre-pro that would meet the criteria I can think of, probably easily double the expenditure outside of a refurb/closeout on others...

Distance not great - just bought the XLR connected gear a few years back. Works great for stereo, just wanting to run TV/DVD through it now and looking for a way to upgrade without breaking the bank. Thanks for the tip. Been a few years since I did any research and put myself in a corner by initially going XLR.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Distance not great - just bought the XLR connected gear a few years back. Works great for stereo, just wanting to run TV/DVD through it now and looking for a way to upgrade without breaking the bank. Thanks for the tip. Been a few years since I did any research and put myself in a corner by initially going XLR.
It's just not much of an advantage in most cases, but heck if ya have it use it....should at least be theoretically better !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis