Need Volume control and BT connection for use with JBL LSR-305

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am wanting to set up a modest stereo for a friend. I have the 305s which make for good capability for low cost (I think I paid $160 for the pair).
I know I can buy a BT receiver/puck for about $20, but it would be nice to also have a physical volume control (aside from on the backs of the speakers)
TIA!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am wanting to set up a modest stereo for a friend. I have the 305s which make for good capability for low cost (I think I paid $160 for the pair).
I know I can buy a BT receiver/puck for about $20, but it would be nice to also have a physical volume control (aside from on the backs of the speakers)
TIA!
Well to do that you will need a two channel active or passive preamp. An active one would be the best. There is not much of a selection on eBay right now. You could build a passive one without much trouble. Those speakers really do need to be driven from a preamp or mix panel. They are really designed to optimally be driven from the balanced output of a mix panel.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
TIA!
Will this be a computer-based system? (I'm assuming that a stereo system with no audio source would be a bit too modest)(the usual warnings about my lame sense of humor apply) If yes, I'd be interested to know what you end up using and how it works out.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Any interest in DIY at all?

I have been considering a device such as these for my garage setup.

There are also standalone digi volume control options.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Will this be a computer-based system? (I'm assuming that a stereo system with no audio source would be a bit too modest)(the usual warnings about my lame sense of humor apply) If yes, I'd be interested to know what you end up using and how it works out.
It will actually be a phone/BT based system.
This is a professional musician who has been using her pone for stuff in her music room where she gives lessons.
She uses the phone out of convenience, and I saw it as a no-brainer opportunity to improve the quality of life by having a set of real speakers to listen to instead of the phone's speakers without much cost.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
BT volume is controllable directly from the phone as well. No preamp required.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Any interest in DIY at all?

I have been considering a device such as these for my garage setup.

There are also standalone digi volume control options.
The price on those is right!
So, I'd need some type of case and a wall-wart or brick?
The first says remote included, but I see no remote in photos???
(I would certainly like to have all of the wires kept short and where the speakers are, with a remote in arms reach of her music stand)!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
BT volume is controllable directly from the phone as well. No preamp required.
Yeah, valid point!
The simple BT receiver puck may end up being the best solution.
It looks like I would be adding that to any of the solutions that Slippery is suggesting, so it makes sense to start out with that and see how it works for her!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
(I would certainly like to have all of the wires kept short and where the speakers are, with a remote in arms reach of her music stand)!
In the highlight section says remote included. I’d call to verify though. Price is great.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The bluetooth adapter I use in my truck has a volume control but as was said the phone volume can be utilized as well. I just plugged my 305s into the BT device, mostly wondering if it had enough gain for the speakers but surprisingly it did, altho I had to use a higher gain level than I use with the pre-amp I usually use them with.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yup, power supply and case, probly need to add terminals/rcas too. Note that one of those is native BT and has a media card player, that could be convenient. For a case, I have a cigar box that I think would work nice, and DC P/S can be scavenged pretty readily.

But, I agree with the others. Start simple, add gear and complexity only to solve a specific problem.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
There are controls for volume and track on that one I use....but the phone is better for both I think.
Yeah, phone is likely most convenient, but I could see some times here and there where local control option would be nice. Maybe if my hands were dirty and I didn't want to handle my phone at the time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, phone is likely most convenient, but I could see some times here and there where local control option would be nice. Maybe if my hands were dirty and I didn't want to handle my phone at the time.
Yeah while driving its easier to use the BT device....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis